Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WBB Hosts Bradley (Friday @ 7:00) & Loyola (Sunday @ 2:00)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WBB Hosts Bradley (Friday @ 7:00) & Loyola (Sunday @ 2:00)

The Lady Shocks (18-2, 9-0) go for consecutive wins #18 and #19 this weekend against Bradley (5-15, 2-7) and Loyola (9-12, 5-4).

I suspect that neither Shocker women nor the Shocker men want to be the 1st ones to blink as both continue to nurture long winning streaks including undefeated starts-to-date in Valley play. The Shocks have a 2-game lead over 2nd place Indiana State heading into the 2nd half of conference play.

The Shocks found themselves in deep foul trouble when they played Bradley in Peoria a month ago as they had 4 players (Jamillah Bonner, Michaela Dapprich, Kelsey Jacobs and Michelle Price) foul out of the game and had 2 other players, Alex Harden and Valerierose Agnello, each saddled with 4 fouls. As a result the Shocks ended up hanging on for dear life to pull out a 74-72 victory in the only Valley game the Shockers did not win by double digits in the 1st half of conference play. Let's hope we don't have a repeat of that kind of foul trouble at home this Friday evening and let's hope Kelsey Jacobs is able to go in this weekend's games. Kelsey sat out the Shockers last game against Evansville reportedly due to a strained leg muscle.

On Sunday, the Shocks take on Loyola at 2:00 pm. The Shocks beat the Ramblers 71-58 in Chicago last month and that was the 2nd closest game of the Valley slate so far behind the Bradley game. Loyola is lead by 5-11 Sr. F Troy Hambric who is averaging 18.0 PPG and 7.2 RPG for the season. At this point I would say that Hambric is Alex Harden's primary competition for Valley POY.

The Lady Shocks were not at their sharpest in last weekend's victories over SIU and Evansville as they did not shoot the ball real well. I'm sure they would like to get that part of their game back on track as they open the 2nd half of Valley play.

:poster_shocks:

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    The Lady Shocks (18-2, 9-0) go for consecutive wins #18 and #19 this weekend against Bradley (5-15, 2-7) and Loyola (9-12, 5-4).

I suspect that neither Shocker women nor the Shocker men want to be the 1st ones to blink as both continue to nurture long winning streaks including undefeated starts-to-date in Valley play. The Shocks have a 2-game lead over 2nd place Indiana State heading into the 2nd half of conference play.

The Shocks found themselves in deep foul trouble when they played Bradley in Peoria a month ago as they had 4 players (Jamillah Bonner, Michaela Dapprich, Kelsey Jacobs and Michelle Price) foul out of the game and had 2 other players, Alex Harden and Valerierose Agnello, each saddled with 4 fouls. As a result the Shocks ended up hanging on for dear life to pull out a 74-72 victory in the only Valley game the Shockers did not win by double digits in the 1st half of conference play. Let's hope we don't have a repeat of that kind of foul trouble at home this Friday evening and let's hope Kelsey Jacobs is able to go in this weekend's games. Kelsey sat out the Shockers last game against Evansville reportedly due to a strained leg muscle.

On Sunday, the Shocks take on Loyola at 2:00 pm. The Shocks beat the Ramblers 71-58 in Chicago last month and that was the 2nd closest game of the Valley slate so far behind the Bradley game. Loyola is lead by 5-11 Sr. F Troy Hambric who is averaging 18.0 PPG and 7.2 RPG for the season. At this point I would say that Hambric is Alex Harden's primary competition for Valley POY.

The Lady Shocks were not at their sharpest in last weekend's victories over SIU and Evansville as they did not shoot the ball real well. I'm sure they would like to get that part of their game back on track as they open the 2nd half of Valley play.

:poster_shocks:
    Not easy being on a big win streak. The men struggled, but won. Saw Kelsey with lots of wrap on her knee. Thigh to ankle. Not idea if she plays.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtimewomen's hoopcoach View Post
      Not easy being on a big win streak. The men struggled, but won. Saw Kelsey with lots of wrap on her knee. Thigh to ankle. Not idea if she plays.
      Certainly sounds like more than a muscle strain.

Comment

If Rachael is reffing, we will be just fine.

Any of those toads that called the game in Peoria should not be allowed in the city.

Comment

Today's lead-in article in the Eagle for this week's games.

No mention of Kelly not playing. However, no mention that she will be in the lineup either.

I was just thinking about how the Lady Shocks finished the Valley race the last two years. In the 2011-12 season they were 8-1 at the halfway mark and finished at 13-5 tying Illinois State for 2nd place. Last year the Shocks started 10-0 in the Valley but could not hold onto for a sole championship as they finished 5-3 to finish at 15-3 and tied with Creighton for a co-championship. BTW, Bradley was the team that ended last year's undefeated run in the Valley with a 75-55 beatdown of the Shocks in Koch Arena. Seems like Bradley plays over their heads against the Shocks. I don't know if they just match up well against the Shocks or if their style of play bothers the Shocks. So the Shocks need to show that this year will be different and show that they can finish a season strong.

Comment

Shocks 67 - Bradley 54

Shocks played a very good 1st half and doubled up the Braves at 46-23. Unfortunately, that did not carry over to the 2nd half which was not very pretty.

Alex and Michaela had strong games combining for 35 points on 14-21 shooting, 13 rebounds, 6 steals and 3 blocks.

OTOH, Jamillah and Alie struggled combining to shoot 5-29 from the field.

Kelsey apparently has a partially torn meniscus but they wrapped her leg and she played 32 minutes and lead the team with 6 assists. Tough young lady.

Hopefully, we will play more of a complete game Sunday against Loyola. Missouri State crushed Loyola 66-41 in Springfield tonight.

2nd place Indiana State last 50-53 at Illinois State to fall 3-games behind the Lady Shocks with 8 to play.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 8, 2014, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Shocks 67 - Bradley 54

Shocks played a very good 1st half and doubled up the Braves at 46-23. Unfortunately, that did not carry over to the 2nd half which was not very pretty.

Alex and Michaela had strong games combining for 35 points on 14-21 shooting, 13 rebounds, 6 steals and 3 blocks.

OTOH, Jamillah and Alie struggled combing to shoot 5-29 from the field.

Kelsey apparently has a partially torn meniscus but they wrapped her leg and she played 32 minutes and lead the team with 6 assists. Tough young lady.

Hopefully, we will play more of a complete game Sunday against Loyola.
              OK. Not only did Kelsey play, but she played 32 minutes?!?! For the unedjimicated like me, this just sounds wrong.

Can anyone fill me in as to the severity (or the lack there of) of this type of injury and the risks involved by continuing to play with such an injury?

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                OK. Not only did Kelsey play, but she played 32 minutes?!?! For the unedjimicated like me, this just sounds wrong.

Can anyone fill me in as to the severity (or the lack there of) of this type of injury and the risks involved by continuing to play with such an injury?
                This is on Kelsey's surgically repaired knee. One can play with tears in the meniscus and have surgery at the end of the year to repair it. It comes down to how much pain one can endure. Jody says Kelsey is the team's glue, her toughness is a big part of that. It is also good to not sit long periods of time as the knee swells and becomes very stiff.

Comment

Meniscus is just padding. Partially torn causes pain, but typically not even wincing. It was just more uncomfortable.

Comment

This is on Kelsey's surgically repaired knee. One can play with tears in the meniscus and have surgery at the end of the year to repair it. It comes down to how much pain one can endure. Jody says Kelsey is the team's glue, her toughness is a big part of that. It is also good to not sit long periods of time as the knee swells and becomes very stiff.
                    In some cases people may never have surgery. As mentioned, it's as much a how much discomfort does it cause you as anything else. Different people can tolerate it at different levels.

Comment

Shocks 67 - Bradley 54

OTOH, Jamillah and Alie struggled combing to shoot 5-29 from the field.

Hopefully, we will play more of a complete game Sunday against Loyola. Missouri State crushed Loyola 66-41 in Springfield tonight.

2nd place Indiana State last 50-53 at Illinois State to fall 3-games behind the Lady Shocks with 8 to play.
                      Bradley played at 1-1-3 zone the entire second half (and some during the latter stages of the first half) except for the very late part of the half. We had problems getting good shots and then had problems knocking down the shots we had, I think because we were unsure where the shots were coming from and not ready to take them when we had them. It seemed there was a little bit too much interior passing when we got inside, too.

Jamillah just wears me out watching her play. Her athleticism is evident, and her ability to snag offensive rebounds is amazing, but a lot of nights, her shot selection is pretty amazing, too - and not in a good way. But I'm glad we have her and the other team doesn't.

Comment

It will be interesting to see how sore the knee is Sunday and whether she can go again. UNI's Nate Buss is out 2-3 weeks with a partially torn meniscus. Of course, there are varying degrees of the injury so I'm not sure you can really compare.

Comment

It will be interesting to see how sore the knee is Sunday and whether she can go again. UNI's Nate Buss is out 2-3 weeks with a partially torn meniscus. Of course, there are varying degrees of the injury so I'm not sure you can really compare.
                          With alumni and donors in town, a donor I know spoke with Kelsey and said she has two pretty significant tears. The Doc said it is up to her, surgery now or after the season. Poor kid. I would guess Kelsey plays. The fact she played after ACL MCL Meniscus, grafts on the knee, stress fractures in the feet and back, torn ankle tendons, this might seem minor to her. She's Jody's kind of player and a good example for the younger players who might struggle with Jody's tough coaching.

Comment

With alumni and donors in town, a donor I know spoke with Kelsey and said she has two pretty significant tears. The Doc said it is up to her, surgery now or after the season. Poor kid. I would guess Kelsey plays. The fact she played after ACL MCL Meniscus, grafts on the knee, stress fractures in the feet and back, torn ankle tendons, this might seem minor to her. She's Jody's kind of player and a good example for the younger players who might struggle with Jody's tough coaching.
                            All of the top six players bodies are worn and being pushed. All are tough. Michelle has a fractured foot. Alex, and Jamillah's knees are hurting. Dap has a broken nose and a torn meniscus in her knee. Kelsey has a torn meniscus. Alley has a torn meniscus. Their toughness is what will get the championship and is really our only hope. A lot of talent in the Freshman sitting the bench but they have not been worked with or prepared, all are healthy except for Dap's sister who also has a broken nose.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                              Jamillah just wears me out watching her play. Her athleticism is evident, and her ability to snag offensive rebounds is amazing, but a lot of nights, her shot selection is pretty amazing, too - and not in a good way. But I'm glad we have her and the other team doesn't.
                              Did not care for bonner being compared to lankster at the beginning of the season with bonner not being vetted in the program and with lankster being a class act. But, after hearing bonner yell at one of the coach’s and drop the f-bomb, not impressed at all, truly showing her juco colors. Surprised Adams let that one go unchallenged and never missed a moment of playing time. Definitely not an example of Shocker representation

Comment

Working...
                              X