Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When there was a need to go in a new direction....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When there was a need to go in a new direction....

...several years ago, I was adamant about Jane needing to be let go , but I was hoping for Jim Littell to be the coach...and he has proven again what a dynamite coach he is at OSU....but after some rugged bumps, Coach Adams has proven to be a great hire with great days ahead!!!

My only knock then continues to be a knock now as there are probably 20 plus women within 30 miles of WSU playing Division I basketball over that time and only one is at WSU this year. And how is she doing? (sarcastic font used) That said, this team has achieved and earned its status.

Comment

Totally agree....

....when the best Wichita girls stay home, WSU SHOULD take the next step up....

Comment

Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
        It is common for hometown girls and boys to leave town as they believe the grass is always greener on the other side of the country. Wilt left New York for Kansas, Alcindor for UCLA. Some of the best players in CA leave the state. I do agree, we have had and will continue to have nice players in Wichita and it would be nice to land some.

Comment

Maybe, maybe not. Just depends on whether or not the best of the Wichita girls are the best players available to us. The Men's basketball team has done pretty well without keeping the best Wichita boys at home (i.e. Perry Ellis, Connor Frankamp and Gavin Thurman). Our only local kids on the roster are Evan Wessel and Zach Bush (a walk-on).

Personally, I think you are underestimating how difficult it is to keep local kids at home. Many of these kids simply prefer going away to college, at least initially. Furthermore, from what has been previously reported it sounds like the Heights coach steers his kids away from Wichita State.

Always exceptions to the rule. Angela Buckner was a local kid who stayed home and did great at Wichita State.

Obviously our success of the past two years may change a few kids minds about wanting to spread their wings and leave home but still, I believe those kids are the exceptions and not the rule.

Darice Fountaine came back home but that was after she had a baby and Jamillah Bonner stayed home, but again she has a child. These ladies need strong family support to raise a child, play D-1 ball and get their education.

@Hovpen: knows a lot more about this than I do, but that is my perception regarding the issues surrounding the recruitment of local kids.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
            Maybe, maybe not. Just depends on whether or not the best of the Wichita girls are the best players available to us. The Men's basketball team has done pretty well without keeping the best Wichita boys at home (i.e. Perry Ellis, Connor Frankamp and Gavin Thurman). Our only local kids on the roster are Evan Wessel and Zach Bush (a walk-on).

Personally, I think you are underestimating how difficult it is to keep local kids at home. Many of these kids simply prefer going away to college, at least initially. Furthermore, from what has been previously reported it sounds like the Heights coach steers his kids away from Wichita State.

Always exceptions to the rule. Angela Buckner was a local kid who stayed home and did great at Wichita State.

Obviously our success of the past two years may change a few kids minds about wanting to spread their wings and leave home but still, I believe those kids are the exceptions and not the rule.

Darice Fountaine came back home but that was after she had a baby and Jamillah Bonner stayed home, but again she has a child. These ladies need strong family support to raise a child, play D-1 ball and get their education.

@Hovpen: knows a lot more about this than I do, but that is my perception regarding the issues surrounding the recruitment of local kids.
            Fair assessment...if the Heights coach does that, that seems like a punk move.

Comment

Should Ivy attend WSU next season, that may shoot that down some. She is currently tearing it up over at Butler.

Comment

Originally posted by Hovpen View Post
                Should Ivy attend WSU next season, that may shoot that down some. She is currently tearing it up over at Butler.
                I believe Ivy has inked an LOI.

In July 2012 Jody extended offers to Kirea Rogers (Class of 2015) and Kendrian Elliott (Class of 2016) of Wichita South. Rogers had just finished her freshman year and Elliott had not played a high school game yet. Have you heard any scuttlebutt about these two young ladies?

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  I believe Ivy has inked an LOI.

In July 2012 Jody extended offers to Kirea Rogers (Class of 2015) and Kendrian Elliott (Class of 2016) of Wichita South. Rogers had just finished her freshman year and Elliott had not played a high school game yet. Have you heard any scuttlebutt about these two young ladies?
                  I've seen both play once and was very impressed with upside. I'm also interested in how good young Bachrodt is, and if the commit to Drake is based on interest from WSU, a desire to go away or what...

But also, IF Kip has steered girls from even considering WSU, what was his reasoning?

Comment

I've seen both play once and was very impressed with upside. I'm also interested in how good young Bachrodt is, and if the commit to Drake is based on interest from WSU, a desire to go away or what...

But also, IF Kip has steered girls from even considering WSU, what was his reasoning?
                    Sam had offer from WSU. Drake U. showed her a team closeness that she really liked.

Kip is not steering girls away. Only chance for some of them to go anywhere away from home and that is big for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Obvious View Post
                      Sam had offer from WSU. Drake U. showed her a team closeness that she really liked.

Kip is not steering girls away. Only chance for some of them to go anywhere away from home and that is big for them.
                      I believe Sam's grandfather who has the Kapaun gym named after he and his wife went to Drake. Drake is weak and Sam would probably make a difference in her freshman year, probably not so at Wichita State. You have to be nails to just walk in and play for WSU.

Comment

Working...
                      X