WBB: Shocks @ Missouri State - Valley Opener

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oldtimewomen's hoopcoach View Post
    The Shox men are the big story. I had a friend call me to talk about Shox Basketball and I said, oh you mean the women? He didn't know they even played. That's o.k. we'll stay under the radar, sweep the Valley and then get some attention.
    The Shocker men are the BIG story and they should be. They deserve all the recognition and pub they are getting. Still I would expect at least a minimal write-up on a record-breaking win at rival MSU especially in the digital version of the Eagle. Perhaps they are just holding it for tomorrow. Shocks set a JQH Arena record for most points scored by a MSU opponent (breaking their own previous record) and a JQH Arena record for margin of victory by an MSU opponent.

Comment

Without looking at the newspaper, I know these things happened. WSU men played yesterday. KU basketball played (and lost). There were some other big college games yesterday. Tonight is the Auburn-Florida State game. There were two NFL playoff games. All of those things are probably more newsworthy to the masses than WSU women's basketball. That's not a slight to the good work that Jody and crew are doing....just recognizing the facts of what the readers want. The Eagle's job is to report the news, not promote, and in the editors' opinions, there were things more important to put ahead of the outcome of this WSU women's hoops game.

Here is a better example: do you think UMKC got front-billing in its city's paper, the KC Star, on Sunday morning for their win at Seattle? Here is what was also going on. KU was about to play ranked San Diego State. KSU just beat #6 Oklahoma State. Missouri men's basketball won (albeit against a bad Long Beach State team...BTW, Beach has really fallen off). Certainly, the Chiefs had big-time coverage for many reasons. There might have been some more follow-up articles from Mizzou's win at the Cotton Bowl. Would it be wrong to not give UMKC its proper due coverage since UMKC is in Kansas City? No....because the interest isn't as high for its game as some of the others.
      78-65

Comment

I never stated or in the least bit implied that the Lady Shocks win be a top or leading headline or story. I fully understand that is unlikely to be the case in my lifetime. But in the digital edition they should at least have a story or brief game summary. Then those of us interested can look for it and find it. The Springfield News-Leader managed to accomplish that. The Wichita Eagle did not.

I did notice the digital edition of the Eagle did have a story about SIU's men's bus getting stuck.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 6, 2014, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          I never stated or in the least bit implied that the Lady Shocks win be a top or leading headline or story. I fully understand that is unlikely to be the case in my lifetime. But in the digital edition they should at least have a story or brief game summary. Then those of us interested can look for it and find it. The Springfield News-Leader managed to accomplish that. The Wichita Eagle did not.

I did notice the digital edition of the Eagle did have a story about SIU's men's bus getting stuck.
          The Eagle ususally has a digital story and some blurb with the box in the print version. Maybe the heavy sports day, deadlines, etc. made it tough. I don't expect major coverage, but will when we sweep the Valley.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

My apologies as my thoughts were more directed at the comment about the women being on Page 4 of the sports section. Not sure why there couldn't be something online if it was in the paper, but I imagine it would just be a AP wire account of the game.
            78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
              My apologies as my thoughts were more directed at the comment about the women being on Page 4 of the sports section. Not sure why there couldn't be something online if it was in the paper, but I imagine it would just be a AP wire account of the game.
              Let me say that overall the Eagle does a good job covering and reporting on Shocker women's basketball and Shocker sports in general. This was actually a pretty key game for this season and a game in which the Shocks made a loud statement about who the real favorite to win the Valley should be. OTOH, I understand that women's sports are generally only of passing interest to the average fan. I was just surprised this particular game and outcome didn't generate any post-game coverage but a you point out it was a busy weekend for mainstream sports coverage.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 6, 2014, 05:07 PM.

Comment

On her Monday radio show Jody reported that Alex, Jamillah and Michelle all had 3 fouls heading into halftime. Shocks did a nice job dealing with the foul trouble and still playing hard and well. Giving a lot of credit for the teams success this year to team chemistry. Doesn't sound like Jody was exactly enamored with the way the game was called but that the Shocks did a nice job adapting to how it was being called.

Comment

Working...
                X