WBB: Shocks @ Missouri State - Valley Opener

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WBB: Shocks @ Missouri State - Valley Opener

The Lady Shocks, very literally, open their 2nd season as they travel to Springfield to face the Lady Bears.

It will have been two weeks since the Shocks last played in anger (and their last 2 games were not exactly big challenges). The Lady Shocks and Lady Bears will be the last of the Valley teams to start league play and they are the only 2 teams playing just 1 game on the opening weekend. They won't see each other again until the Bears visit Koch Arena in the final Valley regular season game for both teams.

I believe that how the Shocks will fare in Valley play will largely depend on how they do against MSU, INS, DU and EU. In the 1st half of the season we get MSU and INS on the road and DU and EU at home.

The game Sunday @ MSU isn't necessarily critical for the Shocks but it is a great opportunity to get the season started on a positive note and put the Shocks a leg up on the contenders with a nice road win. Drake plays at Indiana State on Sunday. Both of those teams open Valley play tonight (INS hosting UNI and DU at ILS).

Hopefully, the long layoff will not prove to be an issue for the Shocks. MSU is on a 4-game winning streak and last played on Sunday, Dec 29th. The Shocks are on an 8-game win streak (should be 9) and last played on Sunday, Dec 22nd. The Shocks SOS (191) is only 8th best in the Valley. MSU's SOS (64) is 2nd best in the Valley.

The two big questions marks are 1) how will the Shocks respond to the long layoff and 2) have they been sufficiently tested in the non-con season to match up with the Valley contenders. Looking forward to seeing how the Shocks answer those questions.

MSU Game Release

WSU Game Notes: http://www.goshockers.com/ViewArticl...CLID=209358113
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 4, 2014, 12:05 PM.

Just got home from the men's game and checked in on the Lady Shocks.

Shocks up 80-62 with 5:30 remaining in the game.

@oldtimewomen's hoopcoach: called it although still a ways to go but Shocks putting up a ton of points.

Comment

Final: Lady Shocks 98 - Lady Bears 68.

From what it sounds like the Shocks pulled away in the last 10 minutes of the game.

Shocks send a loud message to the rest of the Valley. Very nice road win.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        Final: Lady Shocks 98 - Lady Bears 68.

From what it sounds like the Shocks pulled away in the last 10 minutes of the game.

Shocks send a loud message to the rest of the Valley. Very nice road win.
        Great rebounding on the offensive glass. Terrific free throw shooting. We play with great confidence. Had three players in the first half with three fouls and none fouled out, including Alex and Bonner.

Comment

Shocks shot 56.3% from the field despite making only 1 of 7 three ptrs. They were an outstanding 25-28 from the line including 23-24 in the 2nd half.

Shocks were lead by Jamillah with 25 points, Alex with 23, Michelle with 20 (+ 11 rebounds for a double-double) and Michaela with 11.

Shocks only had 11 turnovers which is pretty good in a high possession game. MSU had 18 turnovers and were only 16-28 from the line. Shocks outrebounded the Bears 39-28.

The Lady Shocks sure answered my concerns in a resoundingly positive fashion.

:encouragement:
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 5, 2014, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Great Game Ladies!!

Comment

Wow! 98 points?! On the road?!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Capitol Shock II View Post
                Wow! 98 points?! On the road?!!!!
                This team is the real deal. A slight concern with how little we can go to our bench. Our starters are in great shape and could go 40 minutes if there are no foul troubles. But, that is not typical. We need to go 7-8 deep and this game showed we can't.

Comment

I don't know what's more surprising....the 98 points or the 30 point spread.

That's a Missouri State team that had won 4 straight, including a double digit win over a 12-3 Missouri team.

Well done ladies.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtimewomen's hoopcoach View Post
                    A slight concern with how little we can go to our bench. Our starters are in great shape and could go 40 minutes if there are no foul troubles. But, that is not typical. We need to go 7-8 deep and this game showed we can't.
                    The starters all had 30-32 minutes. Then we dropped down to 12-15 minutes for three subs off the bench (and four additional minutes between two others off the bench). So yes, quite a disparity between the starters and the subs.

Comment

Springfield game article.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                        Nice write up. The game was closer than the final score indicated. The Shocks lead by 9 with about 8:30 remaining and then torched the Bears with a 31-10 run to close out the game.

But the article got it right. One team made a statement. Although it appears that statement wasn't worthy of mention in that team's home town newspaper unless I just overlooked it.

Comment

Although it appears that statement wasn't worthy of mention in that team's home town newspaper unless I just overlooked it.
                          Page 4B, upper right, in my edition. But pretty pathetic, appears to be a summary off the AP wire.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                            Page 4B, upper right, in my edition. But pretty pathetic, appears to be a summary off the AP wire.
                            I don't take the print version. Just not finding it in the online version.

Comment

I don't take the print version. Just not finding it in the online version.
                              The Shox men are the big story. I had a friend call me to talk about Shox Basketball and I said, oh you mean the women? He didn't know they even played. That's o.k. we'll stay under the radar, sweep the Valley and then get some attention.

Comment

Working...
                              X