Shocker Winter Classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker Winter Classic

Joined a few hundred of my Shocker friends at Koch Arena today to watch Jody notch her 100th wins as Shocker head coach as her Shockers cruised to an 86-64 victory over Austin Peay State in a game that was never in doubt.

While it was cold and icy outside the Chuck the Shocks warmed up quite nicely as they knocked down 56% of their FG attempts including a very solid 6-13 from behind the arc.

Michaela Dapprich had by far her best game of the year knocking down 7-9 shots including all 3 of her 3-pt attempts and hit all 3 of her free throws as she lead the Shocks with 20 points and 8 rebounds.

Alex Harden with 15 and Jamillah Bonner with 13 were also in double figures. Alex also chipped in 6 assists, 4 steals and a block

Uncharacteristically Alex had no rebounds (or at least wasn't credited with any) but Austin Peay had a big size advantage and outrebounded the Shocks 38-36. When I say they had a big size advantage I mean that literally. APSU had perhaps the biggest woman I have ever seen in a college game. Not height-wise, she was about 6-3, but this young lady looked like an NFL offensive lineman.

The Shocks turned the ball over a little too much with 16 turnovers but Jody played everyone on the roster (except Kayla White who is apparently injured) and she was rotating players and switching lineups pretty much on a continuous basis throughout the game. I will never think of Sir Charles Barkley again when I hear of the Round Mound of Rebound.

Nicest surprise was the play of Briana Jones in her 5 minutes as she scored on a nice interior move around the APSU's BIG girl and cleanly knocked down both of her free throw attempts and grabbed 2 rebounds.

Congrats to Jody on her 100th victory as Shocker head coach.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 21, 2013, 07:18 PM.

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    Joined a few hundred of my Shocker friends at Koch Arena today to watch Jody notch her 100th wins as Shocker head coach as her Shockers cruised to an 86-64 victory over Austin Peay State in a game that was never in doubt.

While it was cold and icy outside the Chuck the Shocks warmed up quite nicely as they knocked down 56% of their FG attempts including a very solid 6-13 from behind the arc.

Michaela Dapprich had by far her best game of the year knocking down 7-9 shots including all 3 of her 3-pt attempts and hit all 3 of her free throws as she lead the Shocks with 20 points and 8 rebounds.

Alex Harden with 15 and Jamillah Bonner with 13 were also in double figures. Alex also chipped in 6 assists, 4 steals and a block

Uncharacteristically Alex had no rebounds (or at least wasn't credited with any) but Austin Peay had a big size advantage and outrebounded the Shocks 38-36. When I say they had a big size advantage I mean that literally. APSU had perhaps the biggest woman I have ever seen in a college game. Not height-wise, she was about 6-3, but this young lady looked like an NFL offensive lineman.

The Shocks turned the ball over a little too much with 16 turnovers but Jody played everyone on the roster (except Kayla White who is apparently injured) and she was rotating players and switching lineups pretty much on a continuous basis throughout the game. I will never think of Sir Charles Barkley again when I hear of the Round Mound of Rebound.

Nicest surprise was the play of Briana Jones in her 5 minutes as she scored on a nice interior move around the APSU's BIG girl and cleanly knocked down both of her free throw attempts and grabbed 2 rebounds.

Congrats to Jody on her 100th victory as Shocker head coach.
    This is a nice team. Our swarming defense is quite good. I like this team more than last years team and predict a valley tititle and at least second round of the NCAA's. Pretty bold for an old man.

Comment

I agree about Briana. She had some very nice late minutes.

Not our greatest performance all told, but coming off a big win you expect a bit of a let down. Plus, if a let down game is a 22 point win, there isn't a whole lot to complain about.
      "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
        I agree about Briana. She had some very nice late minutes.

Not our greatest performance all told, but coming off a big win you expect a bit of a let down. Plus, if a let down game is a 22 point win, there isn't a whole lot to complain about.
        again; I don't get nervous. This team has confidence, the coaching is better; the bench is improving. Nice Shox team.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtimewomen's hoopcoach View Post
          again; I don't get nervous. This team has confidence, the coaching is better; the bench is improving. Nice Shox team.
          There have already been several games this year where we haven't seemed to be playing out best, but even early in the game, you never really felt the outcome was in doubt. I haven't been on the edge of my seat a whole lot this season and I don't mind that fact.
          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Shocks take on Texas Pan-American on Sunday at 2:30pm. UTPA lost 61-73 to Nebraska-Omaha today. In this game UTPA took 62 shots. 33 of those attempts were 3-pt attempts of which they only hit 8. They did only turn the ball over 11 times. I wonder if UNO set back in a packed-in zone in this game.

UTPA's best win to date probably their 70-47 neutral court blowout of fellow Valley member Northern Iowa.

Comment

Another easy wins for the Lady Shocks as they rout Texas Pan American 69-40 Sunday afternoon.

The Shocks jumped out to an 11-0 lead in the 1st 2.5 minutes and never really looked back. They were a little sluggish early in the 2nd half as their lead was cut to 13 points with about 15 minutes to go. The Shocks responded by outscoring the Broncos 25 to 9 over the remainder of the game.

Michelle Price with 16, Alie Decker with 13 and Alex Harden with 10 lead the way offensively for the Shocks.

I think the value of these two games this weekend were primarily allowing Jody to get her reserves more playing time and experience. Briana Jones, in particular, took advantage as she has her second very nice performance this time in a season high 13 minutes. Looks like she has definitely move up on the depth chart after this weekend. Marissa Preston looking better and better as well.

Comment

Nebraska-Omaha, the team in the Classic that we did not play, defeated UT-PA, 73-61, and Austin Peay, 70-54.

Comment

Working...
                X