Sorry...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry...

...but I'm just not buying the "Jane is a bad coach" garbage some of the posters here are spitting out. She's had too many winning seasons here in Madison and in her previous position to disprove that nonsense.

After listening to tonight's debacle in Evansville of a game the Shockers clearly could have won, I'm convinced that some of the players on the squad have not responded to her coaching methods. I don't know why some of the players have it in for her, Jane's only wanted them to do their best.

Somehow I hope she will be able to move on from Wichita State one day. Maybe she'll find players who'll accept her methods and respond accordingly with victories. But it's still a mystery to me why the Shocker players have played like they're lazy.

Jane's future success just isn't meant to be at Wichita State. When she does leave, I will follow. She has my complete faith and loyalty. When she does, I wish the Shockers the best of luck with their next coach. Whenever that may be.

shyguy1701: What kind of players does she need?
    If you give me Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Wilt, Michael Jordan and PJ (all as 18 year olds) for four years, I could coach this team to at least one NCAA MBB title. And I don't coach. Does Jane need superstars to win? What does she need?
    Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
    Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

And we hope thats very very soon. Shes predictable and isnt willing to adapt her coaching style or game plan to the type of players SHE has brought in.

Comment

Originally posted by ictshockolate
        And we hope thats very very soon. Shes predictable and isnt willing to adapt her coaching style or game plan to the type of players SHE has brought in.
        And just what type of players has she brought in to this program? Just how do you think these players ought to be playing?

If you don't mind my asking...

I'm not even going to bother with 316. Apples and oranges.

Comment

Shes playing with two 5th year seniors, and 5 to 6 returning juniors. She has never mentioned any of them not playing hard. She just hasnt got it done. We were picked to finish 2nd, yes you cant go by pre-season picks all the time, but to finish at the bottom with a veteran team, some of the blame has to fall on the coach. No matter how loyal you or to her, or how stubborn you are to admit that maybe her best days are behind her. Like I said she isnt willing to make changes as the season goes, when you have guards who cant guard in a man to man setting and are constantly being beat off the dribble why not play some zone. How many times did we get beat by one player this year when they go off for 28 to 30 pts. Ever heard of a box and one. You know try some things that might take a little coaching. Change is good. And thats what we need.

Comment

Because she's really never been a zone type of coach. She's always been able to rely on person to person (man-to-man) defenses and she's done quite well with that type of defense. I just don't know why the Shocker players haven't adapted. Some coaches love the zone, others the man-to-man. It's all about what they're comfortable with. Look at Bo Ryan here at Wisconsin. He's all about the man-to-man defense. And his team's still one of the top 5 teams in the nation because of it. Do you feel the Shocker players want to play zone and can't because Jane won't let them? I still think there's something going on in the minds of your players...

Comment

Originally posted by shyguy1701
              Because she's really never been a zone type of coach. She's always been able to rely on person to person (man-to-man) defenses and she's done quite well with that type of defense. I just don't know why the Shocker players haven't adapted. Some coaches love the zone, others the man-to-man. It's all about what they're comfortable with. Look at Bo Ryan here at Wisconsin. He's all about the man-to-man defense. And his team's still one of the top 5 teams in the nation because of it. Do you feel the Shocker players want to play zone and can't because Jane won't let them? I still think there's something going on in the minds of your players...
              I am a supporter of Jane and want to give her another year to prove herself, but can't you see how odd it is to argue that a coach shouldn't be blamed for how her players play?

I have heard nothing from Jane or anyone else to suggest that the players are not trying to follow instruction or are lazy, but that they simply have not preformed. For instance, Kyrie Kinder mentioned that one problem the team seems to have is that the coaches will tell them the top players to be concerned with defensively, and the team will work hard to shut them down, but be so focused on them that they leave someone else open who kills us. Kyrie noted that in trying to follow the coaches gameplan, the team seems unable to reprioritize when someone else is scoring instead of the people they gameplanned for. I am not saying this to argue that Jane is not telling them to adjust to the new scorer, but to show you that the problems have not come from ignoring the coaches teaching, but from not playing smart (even if they are playing hard).

My impression is that this team really wants to do the right things and is trying hard, but defaults into bad habits in the heat of the moment.
              "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Maybe Jane is a little stuborn, or maybe she just does not know how to coach a good zone defense. Most good coaches have a variety of def. that they use through the course of a season. Plain and simple her players are not good at man to man for a whole game , they breakdown and this results into easy baskets. You have to be willing to change and play to the strenths of the players you recruite.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
                  I am a supporter of Jane and want to give her another year to prove herself, but can't you see how odd it is to argue that a coach shouldn't be blamed for how her players play?

I have heard nothing from Jane or anyone else to suggest that the players are not trying to follow instruction or are lazy, but that they simply have not preformed. For instance, Kyrie Kinder mentioned that one problem the team seems to have is that the coaches will tell them the top players to be concerned with defensively, and the team will work hard to shut them down, but be so focused on them that they leave someone else open who kills us. Kyrie noted that in trying to follow the coaches gameplan, the team seems unable to reprioritize when someone else is scoring instead of the people they gameplanned for. I am not saying this to argue that Jane is not telling them to adjust to the new scorer, but to show you that the problems have not come from ignoring the coaches teaching, but from not playing smart (even if they are playing hard).

My impression is that this team really wants to do the right things and is trying hard, but defaults into bad habits in the heat of the moment.
                  Well, I didn't really want to imply the players are lazy, but correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems this team has had to play catch-up in a lot of their contests. They were able to do so in many games as they did this evening but that makes them run out of gas at the end of their games. A team can't win many ball games if it's continually allowing their opponents to obtain double digit leads during games. The Shock break down somewhere and some of that does fall to the of the coach, but the players also have to share in that breakdown.

Comment

Originally posted by ictshockolate
                    Maybe Jane is a little stuborn, or maybe she just does not know how to coach a good zone defense. Most good coaches have a variety of def. that they use through the course of a season. Plain and simple her players are not good at man to man for a whole game , they breakdown and this results into easy baskets. You have to be willing to change and play to the strenths of the players you recruite.
                    Again, I ask, what types of players did she recruit? What types of defense were these players successful at in high school? Which reminds me...Are the juniors Jane's recruits? I can see the sophs and frosh to be hers...

Comment

Yes, the JRs are hers.

I like Jane and wanted her to succeed here. But it doesn't look to be happening. The team just doesn't seem to get better and have been a huge disappointment. I'm willing to give her another year to prove herself, and fulfill her contract, but don't expect much next year. And don't expect her to be back after that.
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                        Yes, the JRs are hers.

I like Jane and wanted her to succeed here. But it doesn't look to be happening. The team just doesn't seem to get better and have been a huge disappointment. I'm willing to give her another year to prove herself, and fulfill her contract, but don't expect much next year. And don't expect her to be back after that.
                        We have some good recruits coming in. If Hoyt can stay healthy and Kiki gets her back healthy in the off-season, I'm not convinced that we can't be a good team, but I'm not convinced we will be a good team either. I hope things come together next year, but if they don't and Jane is let go no one can reasonably say that she wasn't given her fair shot.
                        "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Yes, the JRs are hers.

Being here in Wisconsin, I'm not up to par on the recruiting end with regards to Wichita, but when did Kiki and the rest of the junior recruits sign their letters of intent? All I truly know is that Anni and Lexee were frosh at the time Jane was hired. I knew the first two seasons of Shockerball weren't going to be that spectacular due to the coaching transition. But I did have high hopes (I'm sure all of you did as well) after the third year of Jane's tenure.

All I'm saying is there has to be more to the whole situation than just the coaching of Jane and her staff. There shouldn't have been this much disaster from this team after they showed so much promise during the 2005-2006 season. Something has to be going on with the players that for whatever reason they can't win ballgames this season.

Comment

Yes, the JRs are hers.

Being here in Wisconsin, I'm not up to par on the recruiting end with regards to Wichita, but when did Kiki and the rest of the junior recruits sign their letters of intent? All I truly know is that Anni and Lexee were frosh at the time Jane was hired. I knew the first two seasons of Shockerball weren't going to be that spectacular due to the coaching transition. But I did have high hopes (I'm sure all of you did as well) after the third year of Jane's tenure.

All I'm saying there has to be more to the whole situation than just the coaching of Jane and her staff. There shouldn't have been this much disaster from this team after they showed so much promise after the 2005-2006 season. Something has to be going on with the players that for whatever reason they can't win ballgames this season.
                            Lexee is a transfer that was recruited by Jane. Annie is the only person on the team that wasn't recruited by her.

I should note that injuries haven't helped things. Kiki has been playing all year with a bad back and will have surgery after the season. Jacie Hoyt, coming in after not having played basketball in over a year, already looked like our best guard early in the season until she broke her leg. If those two are healthy, this is a much different team.

Comment

Thanks MH.

I'm sure the player who left (transfered) before the season started didn't help the morale of the team either.

Like I said, perhaps Jane isn't destined to be successful at Wichita. Maybe she should have taken a couple of years off before accepting another coaching job. What the administration of Wisconsin did to her shouldn't have happened to anyone. Maybe it shook her ability to coach. A sabbatical after this would probably do her a world of good.

Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinions and I'm not about to try and change anyone else's. But she is a good coach. I only wish you could have seen her in the day as I was priviliged to. Goodnight all...

Comment

Working...
                              X