No announcement yet.

Illinois State 88 - Dake 84 (Overtime)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illinois State 88 - Dake 84 (Overtime)

In a battle of the two best teams in the MVC Illinois State, on their home court, rallied from a 7 point deficit with 1:36 remaining to force an overtime and defeated 2nd place Drake by an 88-84 score on Thursday night.

Illinois State is now up 2 games as we near the halfway mark of the season. The Redbirds play Creighton at home on Saturday.

Look at these lines for Illinois State:

Ashleen Bracey (6'0" Soph Forward) 10-19 FG, 4-5 FT, 24 Points, plus 8 Rebounds, 6 Assists and 2 Turnovers.

Kristi Cirone (5'8" Junior Guard) 7-15 FG, 5-7 FT, 21 Points, plus 3 Rebounds, 4 Assists and 0 Turnovers.

Look at these lines for Drake:

Jill Martin (6'1" Senior Forward) 13-25 FG (3-7 on 3-Ptrs), 4-4 FT, 33 Points, plus 10 Rebounds, 2 Assists and 1 Turnover.

Lauren Dybing (6'3" Junior Guard - yes she is listed on the roster as a guard) 4-8 FG, 1-2 FT, 9 Points. 13 Rebounds, 7 Assists and 2 Turnovers.

Good Team Play and Strong Fundamentals:

Drake had 19 assists on 33 baskets and committed 13 turnovers. Pretty solid team numbers.

Illinois State had 20 assists on 32 baskets and committed only 9 turnovers. Even stronger numbers.

After following the Shocks over the past 5 years I was beginning to think a positive assist to turnover ratio was illegal in women's basketball.

This must have been a very entertaining game. However, Illinois State fans did not exactly cover themselves with glory. Only 1,383 in attendance. If the Shocks had an 18-1, Top 25 team that was undefeated in the conference I think we would draw around 5,000 for a game against our toughest conference opponent of the year. At least I hope that would be the case.

With all the MAYB and AAU teams around, I will never understand why every Valley school doesn't draw at least 5000 per game. My kids would hound me to death to go to these games. The Shocker team is a great bunch of girls. They are all approachable after games, and will chat a while with kids. I'm sure after some losses they would like to be left alone, but I have never seen any of them snub a kid. Win or lose, they deserve support.

Comment

:goshocks:

Like I stated in an earlier post if you don't like the coach fine...but support these ladies...they are all quality individuals who deserve encouragement win or lose!

Comment

Working...
      X