Shocker Women 2013 Outdoor Track & Field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker Women 2013 Outdoor Track & Field

Lady Shocks ranked 25th in the nation, their highest outdoor ranking in school history.

WICHITA, Kan- The Wichita State Women's Team ranks No. 24 in the nation according to the United States Track & Field Cross Country Coaches Association poll released on April 30.

Despite the Shocks high national ranking I don't think they are a shoo-in to just show up and win the MVC Championship, although perhaps @goshox74 or someone more knowledgable than I am about track & field (which is just about anybody) can shed more light on that.

The Shocks national ranking seems primarily based on the performances of Aliphine Tuiliamuk-Bolton, Tanya Friesen and freshman Mariah Garcia.

Winning the MVC title will be much more dependent on team depth. In looking at the current form charts it looks to me like the MVC Championship will be a very competitive battle between WSU, INS and ILS.

From my very limited perspective the key for the Shocks looks to be how many points will they be able to rack up in the heptathlon and then beyond that how many open events will Tanya be able to compete in and how many races will Aliphine be able to handle.

The Lady Shocks will miss Audacia Moore's productivity and versatility this year.

I would love to hear the thoughts of anyone else on this.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 1, 2013, 01:59 PM.

I agree '72. Get 30 from Aliphine, 22 from the Hept and Javelin, another 25 at least from Tanya and Mariah and see what else you can get and try to get another 70 or so points from everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
      I agree '72. Get 30 from Aliphine, 22 from the Hept and Javelin, another 25 at least from Tanya and Mariah and see what else you can get and try to get another 70 or so points from everyone else.
      Not sure that will be enough Doc. Last year the top 3 were WSU - 192.5, ILS - 150 and SIU - 133.5.

I can see INS putting up 160 points this year. Your scenario gives us 147 points. That might take 2nd.

Where we seem to have depth is in the Heptathlon, Javelin, and High Jump. Aliphine fell just short of the triple-play in the 1,500M, 5K and 10K last year finishing 2nd in the 1,500M race and winning the other two. She can probably do it but that is a lot to ask.

Tanya will be the favorite in the heptathlon but I think UNI's Paige Knodle will give her a good battle. Tanya is also capable of scoring in the open 100H, HJ, LJ and Javelin. I just don't know how many events she has in her or what the schedule will accomodate.

Mariah will be against some very experienced, strong throwers including Sr. Brittany Smith of Illinois State and a couple of seniors from Indiana State.

J'Lynn hasn't been jumping as well this outdoor season as she did during the indoor season and doesn't seem like I have heard much on her. Not sure if she is healthy. Her best was 5'7" back on April 6th. This after clearing 6' in the indoor season. If J'Lynn is injured than we will really need Fr. Ashley Petersen to perform well in the high jump.

We need a strong 1,500M run out of Jr. Samantha Shukla and perhaps So. Kaitlyn McCleod can squeeze out a point or two behind Aliphine in the 5K. Fr. Emily Hornbeck and So. Mackenzie Maki are capable of scoring some additional points in the 10K.

Need a strong throw from Mariah's fellow Fr. discus thower Sadie Suenram. Sadie is capable of picking up a few points in that event.

We need a strong triple jump from Sr. Courtney Reinke although I don't think she can match the MSU jumpers. A scoring jump from So. Shanice Andrews in this event would be nice.

We will need every scoring performance we can get.

Comment

I think it'll take about 170 points to win the meet. Indiana State is capable of that, besides the Shockers, and Illinois State could sneak up there and give WSU a fight if all goes their way. The Shockers have had to deal with injuries this outdoor season. As mentioned above, Ledesma hasn't competed since early April with a foot injury but I believe she is going to try and compete at the MVC meet next week. WSU lost their best sprinter Shamoya Pruitt to a hamstring injury at the KT Woodman Classic. She's out for the year so don't look for many points in the 100/200 and the 4x1 won't be quite as good. Shanice Andrews also went down last week at the Track-It Buster. It's not known if she will be ready for conference.

With all that being said, luckily the Shockers are a deep team and still have a shot to win. Here is the scoring potential:

100 - none
        200 - unlikely
        400 - Taylor and Giles have both run well and could get a couple points
        800 - Johnson will have a chance at a point or two
        1500 - Phine/Shukla will need to score in the 12-15 pt range
        5k - Phine will win, WSU needs McLeod or Shukla to add some points as well
        10k - Phine will win, need one more to get a few points
        100h - Morerod/Friesen/Larch-Miller and a healthy Andrews can score a ton if it goes well.
        400h - Morerod should place well with Thomas a chance to score
        4x1 and 4x4 - Should be solid in the top 3-4-5 positions
        High Jump - With Friesen and Petersen looking good, Ledesma could give a huge shot in the arm. Could be a huge event.
        Pole Vault - WSU has struggled but has potential with Craig/Detmer to move up significantly
        Long Jump - Again Friesen should score high with Reinke always doing well at MVC meets
        Triple Jump - Reinke should be in the top-3 and Andrews would be the other scorer if healthy
        Shot Put - not likely
        Discus - two freshmen to rely on, 12-14 points would be a great accomplishment
        Hammer - Cook can score a couple points
        Javelin - This is where WSU could score 20-25 points if all goes well.
        Heptathlon - Another big scoring event, around 20 points.

Indiana State will outscore WSU in the sprints but WSU will get them back in the distance races. It's more or less a battle of field event athletes between the two teams. Illinois State isn't strong in the field and will get most of their points on the track.

Should be a close and exciting meet. If the Shockers pull it off with all the injuries it will be a great accomplishment for Coach Rainbolt and the team. Go Shockers!

Comment

Injuries known and perhaps that could occur during the meet are always a big X factor in track and field results, especially if one of your studs are impacted.

Comment

I was looking at the numbers for Maria Garcia the Shock's frehsman discus thrower out of Yukon, OK.

The best I can tell her best high school throw was 151'.

I believe she has competed in and won 4 outdoor events as a Shocker with an average winning toss of 177'. Which are NCAA national class throws.

This is some tremendous improvement in 1 year. I've never thrown a discus but it looks like a sport that combines strength plus technique/mechanics to produce good throws. With that kind of improvement I assume Mariah is the beneficiary of hard work in the weight room and some oustanding coaching by John Hetzendorf.

Comment

Shocker women picked to win the 2013 MVC Outdoor Championship.

There is an MVC Outdoor Championship Press Conference video on goshockers.com where Coach Rainbolt did mention that they had some injuries noted by @goshox74: above that were a concern.

Comment

WICHITA- Kan.- Wichita State Track & Field will travel to Des Moines, Iowa for the Missouri Valley Conference Outdoor Championships this weekend. The Shockers will try to win their 17th and 18th team conference titles of the Steve Rainbolt era.

Tanya Friesen, the fifth ranked heptathlete in the NCAA, will try to win her second consecutive MVC Outdoor Heptathlon Championship. Friesen will also contend for the MVC title in the high jump, the long jump, and the javelin.
                Tanya taking it easy only competing, in effect, in 10 events.

Doesn't really seem fair that a winning heptathlete only earns 10 points for competing in 7 events over two days and the 100M sprint winner gets 10 points for 12 seconds of work. I vote to give the multi-eventers double points. Wouldn't Coach Bolt like that.

Aliphine is not exactly sitting back and observing either as she will run the 1,500M, 5K and 10K races.

It's possible that Aliphine and Tanya might score more points individually than either Drake or Bradley will as a team. We could see somehwere around 50-60 points combined from Aliphine and Tanya.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 9, 2013, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Looks like the Valley/Drake folks aren't real interested in reporting results. Not that I am too surprised by that.

So far the only thing that has been reported is the Decathlon Long Jump (the 2nd event of the Decathlon).

Hopefully they will be able to do better on Satruday and Sunday.

Comment

#JumpRunAndThrowAngry

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                      Looks like the Valley/Drake folks aren't real interested in reporting results. Not that I am too surprised by that.

So far the only thing that has been reported is the Decathlon Long Jump (the 2nd event of the Decathlon).

Hopefully they will be able to do better on Satruday and Sunday.
                      If you clicked the results for an event before they are posted it will cache that until you refresh the whole page or right-click in the results frame and click "reload frame", if your browser supports it. Even then, they aren't the fastest at getting the "Latest Completed Event" into that event's results page.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                        If you clicked the results for an event before they are posted it will cache that until you refresh the whole page or right-click in the results frame and click "reload frame", if your browser supports it. Even then, they aren't the fastest at getting the "Latest Completed Event" into that event's results page.
                        I've been refreshing the page each time I check. I will have to try the right-click trick. Thanks.

Edit: Thanks for the tip @RoyalShock:. I right-clicked and then clicke on "refresh" and that brought the results up.

Comment

Tanya might be in for a fight with Paige Knodle from UNI. Tanya was just off her best 100H mark (961 today vs 988) but Paige blitzed her previous best of 954 all the way to 1024, an incredible increase.

In the high jump, Paige equaled her 632 total and Tanya fell from 966 to 916. So far Tanya is down 77 and Paige is up 70, 147 point closure on a 440 difference. Not a big concern, yet, just a concerning trend.

Comment

On the other hand, freshman sensation Nikki Larch-Miller cleared 1.57M in the high jump for 701 points, a full 124 points ahead of her previous best. Nikki was 37 points off her best 100H but still turned in an outstanding 14.56 for 901 points today.

Comment

After today's 4 events Tanya leads her freshman teammate Nikki by 238 points and UNI's Paige Knodle by 250 points.

Tomorrow's event include the Long Jump (a Tanya strong point), the Javelin (a Knodle strength) and the 800M run (also a Knodle strength).

Tanya needs to uncork an outstanding long jump then hold of Knodle over the final two events. IIRC, this was pretty much the case at last year's Outdoor at Cessna Stadium and Tanya ran a PR in the 800M to hold off Knodle for the heptathlon championship.

Last year Tanya lead Paige by 101 points after 4 events and 223 points after the High Jump on Day 2 and then hung on to win by 80 points despite her PR in he 800M run.

Knodle is just a sophomore so it looks like she and Nikki Larch-Miller may have some battles looming over the nest couple of years also.
                              Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 10, 2013, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X