Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lady Shockers-2013-14 Edition: What will we look like and where will we be picked?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A nice article primarily on Alex Harden in the Eagle today. This Shocker team will go as far as Alex, Michaela, Michelle and Kelsey can carry them this year. Alex in particular will be the key to how the Shockers go.

She led WSU in points (11.7), rebounds (5.0), assists (3.6) and steals (1.6) as a sophomore. She earned All-MVC and Defensive Player of the Year honors.

Six seniors are gone from the 2013 team that played in WSU’s first NCAA Tournament and Harden’s importance grows. Adams said summer workouts are demonstrating that Harden can maximize her versatility. “She can play all positions,” Adams said. “She is now beginning to understand what she can do.”

Of course, every team we play this year knows this. Stopping or slowing down Alex will no doubt be a prime target of opponents this year.

Also the article points out a couple of key personnel losses for Illinois State and Bradley:

Newcomer of the Year Janae Smith, a 6-2 junior forward transfer from College of Charleston, quit at Illinois State after averaging 13.6 points and 8.0 rebounds for the Redbirds last year. She told the Pantagraph that differences with new coach Barb Smith (who replaced Stephanie Glance) caused her to leave the team in early August. In addition, to Newcomer of the Year she was selected to the All-Valley 2nd Team. The Redbirds were already faced with replacing two very good players in Jamie Russell and Candace Sykes plus senior guard Alexis Jenkins who hit the buzzer beater that prevent the Shocks from winning the Valley season title outright.

Bradley dismissed 5-7 junior guard Shronda Butts from the team earlier this month after she was arrested after she allegedly struck a teammate. Butts averaged 12.1 points (a close 2nd behind Katie Yohn who finished her career last year) and led Bradley with an average of 3.6 assists.

That should make what was already somewhat of a muddled and tight conference race even more muddled. It also makes what already looked like a somewhat down year for the MVC to be even less impressive. This is going to be interesting and if the Lady Shocker youngsters and newcomers can come a long ways by conference time, who knows, maybe they can make a strong run in the conference.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 19, 2013, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      A nice article primarily on Alex Harden in the Eagle today. This Shocker team will go as far as Alex, Michaela, Michelle and Kelsey can carry them this year. Alex in particular will be the key to how the Shockers go.

Of course, every team we play this year knows this. Stopping or slowing down Alex will no doubt be a prime target of opponents this year.

Also the article points out a couple of key personnel losses for Illinois State and Bradley:

Newcomer of the Year Janae Smith, a 6-2 junior forward transfer from College of Charleston, quit at Illinois State after averaging 13.6 points and 8.0 rebounds for the Redbirds last year. She told the Pantagraph that differences with new coach Barb Smith (who replaced Stephanie Glance) caused her to leave the team in early August. In addition, to Newcomer of the Year she was selected to the All-Valley 2nd Team. The Redbirds were already faced with replacing two very good players in Jamie Russell and Candace Sykes plus senior guard Alexis Jenkins who hit the buzzer beater that prevent the Shocks from winning the Valley season title outright.

Bradley dismissed 5-7 junior guard Shronda Butts from the team earlier this month after she was arrested after she allegedly struck a teammate. Butts averaged 12.1 points (a close 2nd behind Katie Yohn who finished her career last year) and led Bradley with an average of 3.6 assists.

That should make what was already somewhat of a muddled and tight conference race even more muddled. It also makes what already looked like a somewhat down year for the MVC to be even less impressive. This is going to be interesting and if the Lady Shocker youngsters and newcomers can come a long ways by conference time, who knows, maybe they can make a strong run in the conference.

agreed. I hope to catch some games. If not, I will watch on Shocker Vision. There will be more talk after we see some exhibitions and pre-season games.

Comment

She should be back in the swing of things by October 1st a the very latest I would think.
        Ali has been working out, so maybe she is healing quickly. Barring any other injuries, she should be good to go. Looks like she is getting in shape and has lost some weight.

Comment

The ladies have been putting in alot of work in the weight room and on the court,remember the name Preston and jones. Those two young ladies are really goin to be key to the season an help us out in the long run too.

Comment

Originally posted by mumdaddy316 View Post
            The ladies have been putting in alot of work in the weight room and on the court,remember the name Preston and jones. Those two young ladies are really goin to be key to the season an help us out in the long run too.
            Sounds good. We really need at least a couple of the freshmen to step up and contribute right away. It would be nice if Marissa and Briana are able to do that.

Comment

Sounds good. We really need at least a couple of the freshmen to step up and contribute right away. It would be nice if Marissa and Briana are able to do that.
              Official practice begins next week. The four who played last year: Alex, Dap, Michelle and Kelsey look ready. Very large learning curve for the rest, but they have a little more than a month to get ready and the pre-season to get the bugs out. The new players will learn they cannot go 1 on 5 at this level.

Comment

And how is decker lookin?

Comment

Originally posted by mumdaddy316 View Post
                  And how is decker lookin?
                  Decker appears to be healed. Is knocking down shots, just slow. No true point at this time other than Alex who is not a true point. They're running Kelsey between a 2 and 3 spot and looks good, but the competion of JUCOs and Freshmen is not real challenging. The kid from Butler CC is an athlete, just out of control at this time, she's very aggressive. Lots of time to get it figured out. Wouldn't surprise me to see some redshirts this year.

Comment

Spent almost the entire evening talking to Alie, Alex and Morgan during the SASO ice cream social last Thursday. Alie feels really good. Her injury happened during an offseason boxing conditioning exercise. She probably should have had surgery but elected to rehab and let it heal instead. Girls have been doing a ton of conditioning and one on one workouts. I think Jamillah (Butler Co.) is coming off her own off-season issue as well, so I'm curious to see how that plays out. Really nice young ladies. Hopefully they have some players step up so we don't return to the bottom of the MVC this year, but its gonna be a tough climb.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtimewomen's hoopcoach View Post
                      Decker appears to be healed. Is knocking down shots, just slow. No true point at this time other than Alex who is not a true point. They're running Kelsey between a 2 and 3 spot and looks good, but the competion of JUCOs and Freshmen is not real challenging. The kid from Butler CC is an athlete, just out of control at this time, she's very aggressive. Lots of time to get it figured out. Wouldn't surprise me to see some redshirts this year.

Any chance Michelle Pettigrew has any eligibility left?:)

Comment

Haley Jo Smith

We have a close friend who lives in Belle Plaine, KS. She is friends with the grandmother of Haley Jo Smith. The grandmother lives in Winfield, as we understand it. A couple of weeks ago, the grandmother told our friend that Haley Jo is on the WSU women's basketball team via an athletic scholarship. She also said that Haley Jo was the person who initially gave DJ Bowles CPR when he collapsed at a WSU basketball practice. This led me to believe that she is definitely on the WSU campus despite the fact that her name does not show up on the WSU Roster provided on Go Shockers. Last Thurs or Friday night, Haley Joe was interviewed on KAKE TV, so that pretty well cinched it for me that she is on the roster. According to her grandmother, as told to us by our friend, Haley Jo played high school basketball in Winfield, KS, then played a year of CC ball in OK before transferring to OSU & she has now transferred to WSU. She is also 6-2 and is apparently a very good player. This news has certainly piqued my curiosity as to why her name is not yet shown on the WSU roster!

Comment

There is a Hayli Jo Smith listed on the 2013-14 roster of William Jewell College in Liberty, MO. She is listed as a 6-0, Jr. Forward from Winfield.

The official 2024-2025 Women's Basketball Roster for the William Jewell College Cardinals

From what I can piece together it looks to me like she played two years at Pratt CC.

I find no evidence that she played at OSU (I'm assuming you mean Oklahoma State).

Here is another article indicating Hayli Jo went from Pratt to D-II William Jewell.

At this point there is no evidence that she has transferred to Wichita State and, if she has, what her eligibility status would be.

In any case it doesn't appear to me that Hayli Jo would be an impact player at Wichita State even if it proves true she has transferred.
                          Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 3, 2013, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Jamillah Bonner ready to make noise with womens’s basketball team

Wichita State point guard Jamillah Bonner hates quiet. She sees it as her job to fill empty spaces with chatter.

“Watch her in warmups; she’ll wear you out,” WSU coach Jody Adams said. “She’s a giver of energy.”

Adams likes that about Bonner. Last season’s team, NCAA Tournament bid and all, lacked outgoing, fist-pumping, vocal leaders. Bonner happily takes that role.

“I talk every moment,” Bonner said. “If we’re stretching, and it’s quiet and I feel like it’s too quiet, I’m going to speak up — ‘Let’s go.’ We need intensity while we’re stretching, while we’re sitting down, while we’re in a meeting.”

Bonner’s job is much more than No. 1 talker, however. She and Alex Harden will play point guard for the Shockers as they try to defend their Missouri Valley Conference title. On the court, she also gives WSU a new look with her speed and ability to penetrate and score. Bonner, 5-foot-8, averaged 16.7 points for Butler Community College last season. At Southeast, she earned All-City League honors twice and second-team All-Class 6A honors as a senior.
                            Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/2013/10/05/304...#storylink=cpy

Comment

I like the look of the Shocker uniforms (at least the blacks worn for the roster pictures). Also whoever took the Shocker roster pictures did a nice job. Of course, it helps to have decent raw material to work with.

6-2, Jr. Kelsey Jacobs

Comment

5-10 So. Michaela Dapprich

Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 8, 2013, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X