Women's NCAA Tournament Other Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women's NCAA Tournament Other Games

Probably not much interest but #10 Creighton defeats #7 Syracuse right out of the gate.

Has to give our girls a little bounce in their step going in to this afternoon's game.

CU over SYR is a minor upset, but we will start to see these happen more frequently. It may take a while for UConn, Baylor, ND, etc. to meet their matches, but it will happen.

The landscape of the women's game is going to change, just as the men's has - over time. There will be more, better players and as more and more of those decide that they can make a difference at some school other than the dozen or so top-flite programs other programs will get better and better.

The coaching needs to catch up to the talent, IMO. Many women's teams don't really run much, they just rely on the players' ability. As the coaching gets better, the recruiting will improve across the board and the margin between the elite, the good, and the mediocre will narrow.

It is going to take $$$ and marketing, too. Title IX gives the opportunity, now schools have to make the financial committment.

Our women just have to keep the attitude that they belong on the same court as anyone and leave it all out there.

--'85.
    Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker85 View Post
      CU over SYR is a minor upset, but we will start to see these happen more frequently. It may take a while for UConn, Baylor, ND, etc. to meet their matches, but it will happen.

The landscape of the women's game is going to change, just as the men's has - over time. There will be more, better players and as more and more of those decide that they can make a difference at some school other than the dozen or so top-flite programs other programs will get better and better.

The coaching needs to catch up to the talent, IMO. Many women's teams don't really run much, they just rely on the players' ability. As the coaching gets better, the recruiting will improve across the board and the margin between the elite, the good, and the mediocre will narrow.

It is going to take $$$ and marketing, too. Title IX gives the opportunity, now schools have to make the financial committment.

Our women just have to keep the attitude that they belong on the same court as anyone and leave it all out there.

--'85.
      And that means the regular college student will have to dish out more money.

Comment

Schools aren't going to make a financial commitment to more funding of these programs unless they can get a return on their investment. When the program can break even or make a profit, more money will be pumped into it. Hell, if they show enough progress that they're headed that way it may be enough to get more investment, but you're not going to see investment until something proves to them that a return will be received.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

UConn 105 - Idaho 37. So much for parity in WBB. Of course, I think Auriema enjoys running up the score.

When asked about running up the score Geno Auriema said he did everything he could to keep from tripling up on Idaho. :bball_spin:

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
            Schools aren't going to make a financial commitment to more funding of these programs unless they can get a return on their investment. When the program can break even or make a profit, more money will be pumped into it. Hell, if they show enough progress that they're headed that way it may be enough to get more investment, but you're not going to see investment until something proves to them that a return will be received.
            And I think the currently lesser programs will become more-and-more self-sufficient. SWMo/MoSt in recent times has had a good following for WBB and I would think perhaps got to a self-sustaining level.

The money notwithstanding, the talent pool is getting deeper and there are only so many roster spots open on the elite teams. The talent will even out a bit across a larger and larger number of programs.

--'85.

Comment

I completely agree on the talent levels across the board. And I do think WSU in particular can be self-sustaining eventually. But it takes time. I've often said that I think they could out draw VB with sustained success. We're a basketball town in a basketball state. I love the VB team but basketball I think could average 5k or more if they can keep winning and build some tradition. We're in a nice beginning state towards that, but it'll take time. Same with schools all over the country. I don't know what the women drew this year or how much money they lose as a whole, but it would be interesting to see some numbers and project where they could stand in 10 years or so.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Might want to check this thread out: http://shockernet.net/forum/showthre...t=Adams+Salary

In particular this article: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...e-budgets.html

I think hat WBB being self-sustaining at Wichita State is a pipe dream.

We had arguably our most successful season in program history this year and support was tepid at best and it's not because tikcet prices are excessive. I have row 10, center court season tickets at a total cost of $125 for the pair.

The could not even fill up one bus for a trip to St. Charles for the Valley tournament.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 23, 2013, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Late to the party. How did sCUm wind up with a higher seed than WSU?

Comment

Originally posted by kstarheel View Post
                    They had a much better non-con than us. Played and beat some good teams.
                    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by kstarheel View Post
                      Higher RPI. Much better performance against a good non-conference schedule. Better non-con performance, better non-con-SOS = better RPI = better seeding. Biggest win for Creighton was over Nebraska who finished with an RPI of 16 IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                        Higher RPI. Much better performance against a good non-conference schedule. Better non-con performance, better non-con-SOS = better RPI = better seeding. Biggest win for Creighton was over Nebraska who finished with an RPI of 16 IIRC.
                        kstarheel FYI - WSU's sub-par non-con performance was partly due to some internal turmoil within WSU WBB early in the season. Getting that cleaned-up helped strengthen the team after Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                          Might want to check this thread out: http://shockernet.net/forum/showthre...t=Adams+Salary

In particular this article: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...e-budgets.html

I think hat WBB being self-sustaining at Wichita State is a pipe dream.

We had arguably our most successful season in program history this year and support was tepid at best and it's not because tikcet prices are excessive. I have row 10, center court season tickets at a total cost of $125 for the pair.

The could not even fill up one bus for a trip to St. Charles for the Valley tournament.
                          I think the potential is there but it will take a snowball effect-one or two more seasons like this one and the attendance should equal or surpass volleyball. Especially if we can get some local talent.

Comment

Working...
                          X