UMKC at Shockers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UMKC at Shockers

The Shockers host the 'Roos of UMKC in a double header tomorrow, Wednesday, starting at 5pm. UMKC are members of the Summit League where they were picked fourth of nine teams.

This season they have played at tournaments hosted by South Carolina Upstate where they were 3-1 and beat Western Carolina, by New Mexico State where they were 0-5, by Memphis (the tournament we also played in) where they were 4-1, beating Indiana State and Detroit, and by Texas Tech where they were 0-5, losing four of them by the runs-ahead rule. Thus, their current record is 7-12.

They have a team ERA of 9.82 (us, 2.70) and a team OPS of .777 (us, .708). It is hard to judge, but it appears that their schedule has been just slightly more difficult than ours. They have had the league Player of the Week once this year.

Last year, we split a DH with the 'Roos in KC. These are games we should win but are certainly not overwhelming favorites to do so.

Additional notes: A very reliable source :) tells me 1) Layne has torn her ACL and has surgery scheduled for late March, and 2) Brittany is still suffering side effects from a concussion and is unlikely to play tomorrow.

Too bad about Layne. Having had a child with that surgery, I know it can be a tough recovery. She and Kaitlyn seemed to work well in the outfield together; covering a lot of ground between the two of them. Hope the ladies win both, and with Katie's hot pitching, should win the one she pitches. (no offense to Sloan or Hunter intended) Go Shockers!!!!

Comment

Couple Kansas girls on UMKC to watch would be Cindy Ramos who pitched Olathe NW to the ship as well as Kristi Lee who played on that same team. Maddie Garton from Blue Valley played in the 5A tournament in Wichita and infielder Jenna Rangel is from Newton. They also have Kendra Leach from McLouth on the team. Rangel is hitting .327 with four doubles and a triple. Ramos on the mound has an era of 8.29 and is 2-6. giving up 39 runs in 42 innings. Could be a good day for the Shocks.

Comment

Originally posted by URKidng View Post
        Layne ... and Kaitlyn seemed to work well in the outfield together; covering a lot of ground between the two of them.
        And Layne's bat seemed to be coming around, too (she had the second highest OPS behind Melanie going into the Nebraska games), so that will be missed. Hopefully, her recovery will go well. Unfortunately, it appears that she is about two games past being eligible for a medical redshirt. (The magic number is 30%?)

Comment

Shocks drop game 1 to the Roos 4-2 as one bad inning did them in.

Katie had faced only 1 batter over the minimum over the first 4 innings allowing only a 1-out walk in the 4th. The Shockers were up 1-0 on a 2nd inning double by Laura Vickers and an RBI single by Erin Carney.

However, UMKC scored 4 unearned runs in the top of the 5th on a double, 2 singles, 2 infield errors and a passed ball.

The Shocks scored again in the 7th following a lead-off double by Brianne Bond and did get the tying run to the plate but were unable to expand the rally.

UMKC starter Deanna Friese, who came into the game with a 10.00 ERA and a 2.31 WHIP, went the distance and more or less dominated the Shocks striking out 15, including 8 strikeouts with runners in scoring position.

Both teams had 4 hits in the game. Laura Vickers had two doubles, Brianne Bond a double and Erin Carney a single. Otherwise it was strike out city for the Shocks.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 13, 2013, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Sloan in the circle for the Shocks in Game 2. UMKC staying with Deanna Friese. Hopefully, the Shocks will have better luck against her in Game 2.

Comment

Game 2:

UMKC 7-14-0 - WSU 0-5-3

Deanna Friese with her 2nd complete game of the day for UMKC. Shockers strike out 12 times in game 2, making it 27 for the DH. The Roos will have an enjoyable ride back to KC.

Not quite sure what to make of this. Perhaps the Shocks just ran into a tough pitcher who was on her game although her numbers coming in were not good at all.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                Not quite sure what to make of this.
                I got to watch about the first four innings of the first game, my first chance to see the Shocks in person this year, before I had to leave. Our hitting is far more woeful than I imagined. In the part I saw, we swung at too many pitcher's pitches and took too many hitter's pitches. With Layne out for the season and Brittany out for the nonce, we only have maybe five (counting some "fractional" hitters) bats in the lineup. It is hard to win when you have eight or nine dead outs per game in the lineup.

Pardon my negativity - that was more than frustrating to watch. Perhaps I just want them to do well a little too much.

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                Perhaps the Shocks just ran into a tough pitcher who was on her game although her numbers coming in were not good at all.
                She is certainly decent, but not twenty-seven strikeouts decent. In the first game, she was getting help from the umpire on the low strike which creates uncertainty in a batter's mind. At any rate, I can imagine that there are cat fights on pitching staffs to see who gets to go against us.

Comment

I sat through both games. Flyingmoose is right, bad pitch selection on our hitters, and too many errors (8 total). Our hitters are swinging for the fence on every pitch. IMHO that leads to foul balls and pop-ups. We needed base hits to move the stranded runnners. In the first game, CF Kaitlyn Carey had an amazing diving catch and played well in CF for both games. Look at the box scores, we need to hit better. In the second game, Erin started in LF, moved to 3rd (Paige errors) and ended the game at 1st. Our pitchers struggled today. Again IMHO, keep the ball low and inside and we can prevent several home runs. MVC starts this weekend. The weather should be better so instead of watching Live Stats, come out and support our team.....I do.

Comment

Take a short break everyone and enjoy PI DAY.

Comment

Working...
                    X