Valley WBB Post Season Honors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valley WBB Post Season Honors

So how will the Shocks do when it comes to post-season honors this year. They are similar to the Shocker men in that they do not have a clear-cut star, they are a defense 1st team and they overcame a good number of injuries to key players this year (although not quite as severe as the men). The Shocks are league co-champions and were one last second buzzer beater away form being sole champions. In any case, the 1st Valley championship in program history.

To me Jody Adams is the clear choice for Coach of the Year. I will be surprised if that is not the case.

I anticipate that UNI Sr Jacqui Kalin will win her 2nd POY award in the last 3 years. Jacqui came back from a season ending knee injury last year to lead the Valley in scoring averaging 20.6 PPG in conference games (I will use conference only stats because I think that is the best for comparing players for these kind of awards). That was 5.2 points better than 2nd leading scorer So Kyndall Clark of Drake. Jacqui was also 4th in assists at 3.8 PG, 1st in FT% at 0.955 (105-110), 4th in 3PT% and 2nd in 3PTR made and 3rd in minutes played at 34.5 PG.

I can (and will in a separate post) make a case that Shocker Soph Alex Harden is the best all-around player in the Valley this year and the best returning player next year. I think Alex will be a 1st team All-Valley pick and I think she should be the Valley Defensive Player of the year.

I think Shocker Sr Jessica Diamond will be an honorable mention pick, although she might sneak onto the 2nd team. However, Jessica missed the final two games of the season with a concussion and her Valley scoring average at 10.7 PG was only good for 21st in Valley play. Jessica did lead the Shocks in assists per game at 3.6 which was 5th best in the league and she was 4th in FT% 89.7% (35-39) although she has the fewest attempts of the top 15 in that category. She led the Shocks in steals per game at 1.9 which was good for 6th in Valley play. Jessica was #1 in conference play in assist to turnover ration at 2.2. Jessica was 4th in the league in minutes played at 34.2 per game. A very solid all-around team oriented season for Jessica.

I think Creighton's Marissa Janning will grab Freshman of the Year Honors, but I think Michaela Dapprich may have come on strong enough over the second half of the Valley season to make the All-Freshman team.

My guess is Evansville's Mallory Ladd will get Newcomer of the Year.

I don't think any of the other Shockers performed consistently well enough to receive post season honors, but I'm sure they are more than tickled to be able to hang the 1st ever Valley Championship banner in Koch Arena.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 11, 2013, 05:15 PM.

Ok now some words and thoughts about Alex Harden the Shockers ultra-versatile 5-11 sophomore guard who IMHO has the potential to be Valley POY in one or both of her two remaining seasons.

I would like to see her work on and improve her 3-point shooting and cut down some on her turnovers which is about the only weaknesses I can see in her game. In fact, right now I believe Alex is the best all-around player in the Valley, although I expect that Jacqui Kalin of UNI will deservedly win POY as I stated in my initial post above.

The following are some of Alex's conference only stats. The first number in the parentheses is where she ranks among WSU players and the 2nd number is her rank in the Valley:

Minutes Played - 35.3 (1/2)
    Scoring - 13.6 (1/9)
    Field Goal % - 50.5% (2/4)
    Free Throw % - 76.4% (2/14)
    Assists - 4.4 (1/2)
    Assist to Turnover Ratio - 1.4 (2/6)
    Rebounding -5.1 (1/20)
    Steals - 1.8 (1/5)
    Blocked Shots - 1.2 (1/T2)

Alex is the best defender on the best defensive team in the league and she can and has guarded all 5 positions on the court at one point or another during the season. She has the quickness to defend point guards and the size and strength to defend Valley 4's and 5's. She spent a good deal of time this year running the offense from the point and is the best passer on the team and one of the best passers in the league. She is unselfish (maybe too much so at times) and her BBIQ is very good and growing.

Her game has improved as the season has progessed and she is still learning and growing.

If I had the 1st pick in a draft from a pool of returning Valley players Alex would be my choice.

With only 5 players returning for the Shocks next year (Alex, Michaela, Michelle, Kelsey and Alie), one of of whom (Alie) only played in 5 games due to separate injuries to each knee, the Shocks will probably be leaning on Alex very heavily in the next couple of years. Hopefully, this incoming recruiting class will be up to the task because there are key minutes to be had.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 11, 2013, 07:00 PM.

Comment

1972 Shocker (or anyone else who wants to chime in), Do you know what day each of these awards is announced?
      The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Originally posted by tgcshock View Post
        1972 Shocker (or anyone else who wants to chime in), Do you know what day each of these awards is announced?
        Last year they announced the Valley Scholar Athlete Teams on Tuesday, the Valley All-Conference Teams on Wednesday, and the Specialty Awards (POY, FOY, NOY, DPOY, COY and Scholar Athlete OY) on Thursday.

Jessica Diamond made the Scholar Athlete 2nd team last year and will likely repeat that this year and may well move up to the 1st team.

Comment

Jessica Diamond selected to the MVC WBB Scholar Athlete Second Team for the second consecutive year. Congratulations and kudos to Jessica. Nice work young lady.

Jacqui Kalin is the WBB Scholar Athlete of the Year.

For the second consecutive year, Jessica Diamond was named to the Missouri Valley Conference Women's Basketball Scholar-Athlete Second Team.

You would do quite well on the court in the Valley as well with this group of young ladies.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 12, 2013, 12:35 PM.

Comment

College Sports Madness picked Jody Adams as their Valley Coach of the Year.

college sports madness,Women's Basketball,Missouri Valley,Bradley,Creighton,Drake,Evansville,Illinois State,Indiana State,Missouri State,Northern Iowa,Southern Illinois,Wichita State,CSM Staff,Awards

UNI's Jacqui Kalin was their pick as POY and Creighton's Marissa Janning was their pick as FOY.

Don't disagree with any of that. CSM selected Alex Harden on their 2nd team. I will take exception to that, but if CSM is using All-Game stats I could see how that might happen. Illinois State put two players on the 1st team. I think you should be able to find a player on the Co-Champions to put on the 1st team. They did select Sarah Nelson from Creighton. Alex is the obvious choice from the Shockers especially if you consider her performance in Conference games. Of course, I have the advantage of actually seeing Alex play. Will see how the Valley voters feel about it tomorrow.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 12, 2013, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Diamond and Harden - First Team.

Harden - All Defensive Team.
              ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
                http://www.mvc-sports.com/wbasketbal...ference-teams/

Diamond and Harden - First Team.

Harden - All Defensive Team.
                Well deserved by Jessica and Alex. Michaela Dapprich's late season heroics apparently came a little too late to capture the attention of those voting for the all-freshmen team.
                The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

The official Valley All-Conferene teams were announced today and the Lady Shocks were rewarded with both Jessica Diamond and Alex Harden being placed on the 1st team. Congratulations Ladies.

Co-Champion Creighton was also rewarded with two 1st team selections, Sarah Nelson and Marissa Janning.

They were joined on the 6 player 1st team by UNI's Jacqui Kalin and ILS's Jamie Russell.

Alex was also named to the All-Defensive Team. I think Alex has a shot at the Defensive Player of the Year but I could see it going to Jamie Russell because she is a senior and a repeat member of the All-Defensive team. OTOH, Alex is the best defensive player on the best defensive team in the league but we saw how tha worked out for the Shocker men.

Michaela's late surge was not enough to get her on the All-Freshman team.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 13, 2013, 10:57 AM.

Comment

The MVC Speicialy Awards went about as expected:

Coach Jody Adams is the Coach of the Year and Alex Harden is the Valley Defensive Player of the Year. Both awards very well deserved. Congratulations Coach Adams and Alex.

Jacqui Kalin of UNI was the Player of the Year as anticipated and Marissa Janning of Creighton was the Freshman of the Year. Janae Smith of Illinois State, a transfer from College of Charleston, was the Newcomer of the Year.

http://www.mvc-sports.com/media/2012...%20Release.pdf

Comment

Missouri Valley Conference Defensive Player of the Year

Comment

Missouri Valley Conference Coach of the Year (and her 3 four-year seniors)

Comment

Working...
                        X