Shocker SB at FGCU/La Quinta Inns Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker SB at FGCU/La Quinta Inns Tournament

This weekend the Shockers travel to Fort Myers to play in a tournament hosted by Florida Gulf Coast University.

They open the tournament against Georgia Southern at 245pm on Friday. The Eagles are the preseason pick to repeat as winners of the nine-team Southern Conference, and their hurler, Sarah Jarvis, is the Preseason Pitcher of the Year. They are 3-1 following a round-robin they hosted last weekend.

Immediately following, the Shocks take on host FGCU. These Eagles are defending regular season and tournament champions of the Atlantic Sun Conference and are predicted to repeat in the ten-team league. They have four members of the preseason all-conference team, including the Player of the Year and the Pitcher of the Year. They opened their season on Wednesday with a split with Florida International.

Saturday morning at 1015pm, the Shockers meet #1/2 (depending on the poll) and defending WCWS-champion Alabama. The Crimson Tide were 5-0 last weekend in the UNI Dome Tournament where the Panthers were their victims by a score of 8-1. Coach Patrick Murphy is an Iowa native, a graduate of UNI, and the trip served as a "close-to-home" tournament for a team member. As for players, I'll start and stop with Jackie Traina.

Later in the day, the Shocks are scheduled to play Appalachian State at 715pm. The Mountaineers are a preseason pick for fourth in the Southern Conference and open their season this weekend. The Shockers close out the tournament Sunday at 1015am with another game against Appalachian State.

Southern Illinois is also at this tournament, but we do not play them.

Here is the WSU pre-tournament write-up. Ali speaks of having a plan at the plate, and offense was clearly the missing factor last weekend. Hopefully, we will make some progress in all areas. Also, this tournament appears to be a step up from the Mardi Gras Classic last weekend.

Big step up.

Comment

Originally posted by Hovpen View Post
      Big step up.
      You are quite right. I think the games against Appalachian State are the only ones with any reasonable expectation of winning. But I am willing to be surprised.

Comment

It's softball, and reasonable expectations sometimes aren't. But IMHO it will be hard for this year's team to match last year's win record for a couple reasons.
        1. Pitching has not improved. Yes, the two returners are probably better than they were a year ago but nobody was recruited who is any better than what the Shockers had last year..... So far, they have not given up that many home runs to their credit and have thrown well enough that with some run support, could be 3-1.
        2. The top three bats who could win a game with one swing a year ago, Shook, Stuever, and Milnark are no longer with the team. Yes, Vickers has come back to the lineup, but who else can be a game changer? If the Shockers win, they will have to play great defense, which in their last three games they have, and manufacture runs on offense, taking advantage of miscues by an opponent which so far, they haven't.
        3. However, keep in mind Gibbs rule 51.

Comment

Originally posted by Hovpen View Post
          ... keep in mind Gibbs rule 51.
          I had to Google it. I am so out of touch. :)

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
            I had to Google it. I am so out of touch. :)
            As did I. Go ahead and slap me on he back of the head.

Comment

LOL consider it done.

Comment

Here is the link to the live stats, box scores and recaps:
                Page Not Found (404): It looks like you're lost... The page you are looking for no longer exists.

Looks like Appalachian State scored 3 in the bottom of the 7th and 1 in the bottom of the 8th to win the opening game 10-9 over SIU.

SIU lost an opposite affair in Game 2 to Georgia Southern by a 1-0 score as the Salukis were no-hit in that game.

In Game 3 Alabama leads Appalachian State 4-0 into the bottom of the 4th. Shocks vs Georgia Southern to follow.

Comment

Shocks give Katie a 2-run cushion after putting up 2 in the top of the 1st. Melanie drew a one-out walk and after Laura Vickers stuckout. Melaine then stole 2nd base followed by 2-out RBI doubles from Ali Vandever and Hayley Temple.

Let's see what Katie can do with that.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                    Here is the link to the live stats, box scores and recaps:
                    Page Not Found (404): It looks like you're lost... The page you are looking for no longer exists.

SIU lost an opposite affair in Game 2 to Georgia Southern by a 1-0 score as the Salukis were no-hit in that game.

In Game 3 Alabama leads Appalachian State 4-0 into the bottom of the 4th. Shocks vs Georgia Southern to follow.
                    Georgia Southern's ace pitched a perfect game with 11 K's to defeat SIU.

Alabama finished with a 9-3 win over Appalachian State.

Comment

The Shock plate another run in the fourth. Hayley singled, advanced to third on a sacrifice bunt and came home on Erin's infield single. Two more singles loaded the bases with one out, but a strikeout and fly out ended the inning. KA gave up two singles to lead off the bottom half and, with the throw to third, had runners at second and third with no outs. But she escaped with a strike out, ground out and strike out, giving her four Ks through four innings, but also three walks and a HBP. Shocks lead, 3-0 after four complete.

Now it is off to the circus. :)

Comment

So far, keeping the ball low, playing good D, and taking advantage of the situation on offense. :)

Have fun at the circus. Been an age since I seen one of those.

Comment

That one is gonna hurt.

Comment

I'm sure the circus will be more fun than the ending to the Shocker-Georgia Southern game as the Lady Shocks pull a loss from the jaws of victory giving up 3 in the bottom of the 7th and 1 in the bottom of the 8th to lose 4-3.

I guess when things have been going they way they have been for so long losing just becomes second nature to a team/program and perhaps you just get used to it.

Comment

Ok, well let's try this again. Shocks score in the 1st to take a 1-0 lead on host FGCU. Sloan in the circle.

Shocks are the home team in this one.

Comment

Working...
                              X