Shocks WBB on the Road @ Drake and @ Creighton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks WBB on the Road @ Drake and @ Creighton

I'm very interested to see how the Shocks will respond to their 1st MVC loss of the year. At 10-1 the Shocks certainly still have their destiny in their own hands.

First up is Drake (7-15, 2-9) which quite frankly the Shockers should win and must win. A loss to Drake would bring into question whether the Shocks are capable of closing out a tough finishing stretch which also includes games @CU, @ILS, @INS, @MSU.

Importantly, the Shocks can not be looking past Drake to Creighton or they could vey well stumble against Drake. Despite the 10-1 start this is a Shocker team that does not have a huge margin for error from game-to-game.

Good luck Ladies. Let's get this done this year.

:poster_shocks:

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    I'm very interested to see how the Shocks will respond to their 1st MVC loss of the year. At 10-1 the Shocks certainly still have their destiny in their own hands.

First up is Drake (7-15, 2-9) which quite frankly the Shockers should win and must win. A loss to Drake would bring into question whether the Shocks are capable of closing out a tough finishing stretch which also includes games @CU, @ILS, @INS, @MSU.

Importantly, the Shocks can not be looking past Drake to Creighton or they could vey well stumble against Drake. Despite the 10-1 start this is a Shocker team that does not have a huge margin for error from game-to-game.

Good luck Ladies. Let's get this done this year.

Heard from one of the players, they went hard Tuesday, got booted out of the gym had to come back at 9:00 p.m for another practice. Jessie, Kelsey, Michelle, Chynna, Daurice, Jaz were in Jody's dog house. I think Jody will shake up the starting line up. I'm hoping Michelle and Chynna can provide some quality minutes and Kelsey gets back to form. That torn up ankle has thrown her off and Jody doesn't have much patience for less than stellar performances. Agree that we need an "A" game road trip. Go Shox.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtimewomen's hoopcoach View Post
      Heard from one of the players, they went hard Tuesday, got booted out of the gym had to come back at 9:00 p.m for another practice. Jessie, Kelsey, Michelle, Chynna, Daurice, Jaz were in Jody's dog house. I think Jody will shake up the starting line up. I'm hoping Michelle and Chynna can provide some quality minutes and Kelsey gets back to form. That torn up ankle has thrown her off and Jody doesn't have much patience for less than stellar performances. Agree that we need an "A" game road trip. Go Shox.
      I think Jody knows the margin for error with this team is not great.

Just as long as they know the difference between "come here" and "sic 'em" by tonight's tip-off and by Saturday evening Drake and Creighton are wondering who let the dog's out.

It's legacy creating time for this team and especially for Jessie, Jaz and Chynna. This team has shown plenty of toughness so far. Let's hope they have adequate reserves (and good health) left in the tank to finish strong.

Comment

With so many posts and so much inside information, there must not be much going on at the Boys & Girls Club.

Comment

Shocks broke away from a 6-6 tie to take a 15-6 lead. From that point Drake outscored the Shocks 23-7 to take a 29-22 lead at the 4:00 minute mark.

Shocks rallied over the final 4 minutes to tie the game at 33 all.

Of some concern is that Brian Petrotta described the Shocks as looking leg weary.

Comment

Shocks pull away late behind Alex Harden and Jessica Diamond, while holding off a late barage of Drake 3-pointers, for a 74-65 road win.

Shocks trailed 47-48 when Alex re-entered the game saddled with 4 fouls. Alex scored 10 of her game hig 20 points over these final 8 minutes. Perhaps the key play of the game was a steal and break-away layup by Alex with about 3:30 remaining to put the Shocks up 58-50.

Sounded like the Shocks simply chose not to guard Drake once they go a late lead and fortunately the Shocks hit their free throws late.

Survive and advance. Good job grinding that one out Ladies.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 14, 2013, 09:13 PM.

Comment

On the postgame, HCJA accused Alex of being the only one on the floor following the plan.

Comment

Creighton stays within 2 games of the Shocks with a 67-51 win over Missouri State in Omaha tonight. Shocks will have to play much better on Satruday if they want to maintaine that 2 game lead when they face the Bluejays on Saturday.

Comment

Good article on CU's Tritz and her struggle with a bad knee that continues to deteriorate.

The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Originally posted by tgcshock View Post
                    Good article on CU's Tritz and her struggle with a bad knee that continues to deteriorate.

http://www.omaha.com/article/2013021...ighton-s-tritz
                    It was nice to see Jody use her entire bench. I'm glad Nicole Wells got some minutes and Michelle got a few as well. Kelsey played with more energy and Jessie hit a key three and free throws when we needed her. Need to play better at Creighton. Drake and Creighton both are on Shocker Vision.

Comment

Originally posted by tgcshock View Post

http://www.omaha.com/article/2013021...ighton-s-tritz
                      Tough young Lady, and a very good player prior to her injuries. Still a decent player, but it was clear when the Shocks played Creighton in Wichita that Carli was not the same player. Wish her well.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtimewomen's hoopcoach View Post
                        I'm glad Nicole Wells got some minutes ...
                        On the postgame, Brian did bring up Nicole, and JA had some nice things to say.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                          On the postgame, Brian did bring up Nicole, and JA had some nice things to say.
                          I don't know who might subscribe to Shocker Vision, but again the Creighton game is on Shocker Vision and it's easy to hook the computer up to a TV and listen the very biased home team announcers.

Comment

FWIW, and they claim 78.5% accuracy, RealTimeRPI has Creighton winning out to finish the Valley at 15-3 and they have the Shocks losing all 4 of its remaining road games @CU, @ILS, @INS and @MSU to finish at 13-5.

Historically, RealTimeRPI seems like it puts a great deal of weight on home court advantage which obviously works against the Shocks with their tough remaining road schedule.

I can see Creighton winning out but they have the tough games at home with the Shocks and I think the Shocks are the kind of team that can give Creighton problems plus road games at UNI and at BU, either of which are capable of upsetting Creighton. Creighton will win it's final three at home against Drake, Evansville and SIU.

I think the Shocks are capable of winning any or all of its remaining six games despite 4 of them being on the road. As I said I think the style the Shocks play can give Creighton problems. Obviously a win over the Bluejays tomorrow would be huge for the Shocks.

Beyond Creighton I think there is a good chance we would lose at Illinois State. Personally, I think the Redbirds have the best talent in the league. However, while it won't be easy I also think the Shocks have a decent shot at winning at Indiana State and at Missouri State.

Bottom line I'm not ready to concede anything and I'm quite sure the Lady Shocks aren't either.

Let's knock of the Bluejays tomorrow, finish 3-2 (or better) our last 5 and capture the Shockers 1st ever MVC WBB Championship.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 15, 2013, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Shocks have only 6 points in the first 8:22 of the 1st half. Fortunate to be trailing only by 5 at 11-6.

Michelle Price and Bugg Jones taking most of the shots for the Shocks. That is not a recipe for success.

Comment

Working...
                              X