HC Jody Adams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HC Jody Adams

Don't know if its been discussed but how is HCJA compensation package compare to valley coaches and say compared to sec. They are undefeated in league play and seems to be on her way to being the most successful womens bb coach at WSU. It seems that besides softball all of the sports are upper tier. I would like to see her compensated to encourage her to stay for the long haul. Anyone have any thoughts?

Originally posted by pogo View Post
    Don't know if its been discussed but how is HCJA compensation package compare to valley coaches and say compared to sec. They are undefeated in league play and seems to be on her way to being the most successful womens bb coach at WSU. It seems that besides softball all of the sports are upper tier. I would like to see her compensated to encourage her to stay for the long haul. Anyone have any thoughts?
    I don't know what she makes, but I do know she bought a house in Andover recently and she does a commercial for the real estate company, so some times this is a sign the coach plans to stick around.

Comment

Here is a copy of Jody's contract: http://www.kansasopengov.org/LinkCli...=1262&mid=2438

Jody initially signed a 5-year contract in 2008 with and an initial base salary of $160,000 plus various incentives as listed in the contract. The base salary is increased annually by no less than the minimum increase in the average salaries of the ICAA Administrative employees.

In March 2010 the contract was amended to provide for a base salary of $175,000 with the term extended to March 28, 2015. In addition, the contract is automatically extended for an additionlal 1-year effective March 29 of each year so as continously maintain a 5 year term unless notified in writing by the ICAA on March 28 that the automatic exstenion will not be granted. I guess that makes it a semi-automatic clause.

If I read the contract terms accurately it appears Jody can be bought out for a sum not to exceed $200,000 by WSU and Jody can buy-out of the contract for $45,000.

So currently Jody is on a 5 year contract the expires March 28, 2017 (subject to the semi-automatci one-year renewal clause). I estimate her current base salary is in the neighborhood of $180,000 to $190,000. Not sure what kind of annual increase she would be getting. In addition, she has the various performance bonuses listed in her contract. Not sure what Jody makes from her camps, radio shows and endorsements but I think it is safe to say Jody is currently making in excess of $200,000 per year.

My guess is this compares very favorably to other Valley coaches. I couldn't get Deb Patterson's (KSU) contract to fully open and Bonnie Hendrickson's (KU) contract includes significant additional monies for "professional services" to KU. I didn't want to spend the time looking at them that closely. I will leave that you each of you if you are interested. It does look like Deb Patterson's top assistant Kamie Etheridge is making a base salary of $147,000 this year.

I think Jody has done very well with the WSU program, especially considering what she started with. OTOH, we have still never won a Valley regular season or tournament championship nor have we ever participated in an NCAA Touranment. Jody does have the best winning % in Shocker history, although the bar is not set too terribly high, and she will be the winningest WBB coach in Shocker history in the not too distant future.

The 7-0 start in Valley is nice, but we did the same last year and finished 12-6 and in a 3rd place tie (#4 seed) and lost in the semi-finals of the Valley Tournament to a Drake team that had played and extra play-in round game. So maybe we should wait and see.

My opinion is that Jody is very well compensated based on her performance so far and also considering that the program probably does not generate enough revenue to even cover Jody's compensation package alone.

Quite frankly the salaries these WBB coaches are making are actually higher than I was expecting to see.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 29, 2013, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Jody's record as of today at WSU is 81-67 for a 0.547 winning percentage.

Darryl Smith is second in winning % at 0.526 (60-54 in his 5 seasons). Jody and Darryl are the only Shocker WBB coaches with a +0.500 record.

Jody's predecessor Jane Albright owns the lowest winning % at 0.336 (48-95 in her 5 seasons).

Linda Hargrove is the winningest Shocker WBB Coach at 113-136 (0.451) in 9 seasons. Jody might pass that late next year, but probably more likely in the 2014-15 season (her 7th year).

The highest WSU has ever finished in Valley play is a 2nd place tie in 1999-00 under Darryl Smith. Linda Hargrove's 1993-94 team finished in a 3rd place tie as did Jody's team from last year (seeded 4th in the Valley Tournament).

The Shocks have only three 20-win seasons in school history: 20-11 in 1980-81 under Kathryn Bunnell, 20-10 in 1999-00 under Darryl Smith and 20-13 in 2011-12 under Jody Adams.

Jody certainly did not inherit a program with great tradition nor did her predecessor leave her much to work with. She certainly seems to have the program moving in the right direction.

If it were me I would up Jody's performance bonuses for Valley championships and NCAA appearances. I see she can earn a $25,000 bonus for winning a National Championship. If Jody wins a National Championship she should get a bonus at least equal to her base salary, not that I'm too concerned about that.

Jody owns the only 2 post-season wins in WSU WBB history with a 67-61 win over Akron in the 2010 WBI and last years 79-57 win over ORU in the WNIT.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 28, 2013, 05:39 PM.

Comment

How does it compare with the other coaches?

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
            How does it compare with the other coaches?
            No where near the top of the heap, of course, the gap between UConn, Tennessee and Baylor and WSU is quite wide.

Here is a study of the 33 coaches that have been in 4 of the last 5 NCAA tournaments: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...y-database.htm

Like I said not close to the top of the heap, but better than a few of these coaches and no WSU team as ever played in the NCAA Tournament.

According to this article the median salary for D-1 women's coaches in 2010 was $171,600:

Here is an article about how much money WBB programs lose:

UConn, perhaps the most successful women's program in recent years lost $724,000 in 2010. This article focuses on the 6 BCS conferences.

KU's Bonnie Hendrickson is at $402,000.

My guess is that Jody is probably at the top end of Coaches in the Missouri Valley Conference.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtimewomen's hoopcoach View Post
              I don't know what she makes, but I do know she bought a house in Andover recently and she does a commercial for the real estate company, so some times this is a sign the coach plans to stick around.
              Considering the length of time Coach Adams rented, I would suspect her home purchase suggests she's putting down some roots for the foreseeable future.

Comment

You know when I think about it I don't think Jody's compensation package is much less than Coach Hinson's was at MSU or is now at SIU.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 29, 2013, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Thanks alot guys it kind of puts things into perspective.

Comment

Working...
                  X