No announcement yet.

Shockers at Southern Illinois and Evansville

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jessica turns it over but Evansville misses and Alex gets the rebound. 1:09 remaining. Shocks are probably going to have to hit some free throws down the stretch. Need to take care of the ball.

Comment

Alex misses the front end of a 1 and 1. Evansville scores to make it 45-43.

Chynna fouled is shooting two free throws. Chynna makes them both. 47-43 Shocks with 45 seconds remaining.

Comment

Evansville drives to the lane uncontested for a layup to pull back to within 47-45.

I really dislike backing off in this situation. Continue to play tough D. Just don't reach.

Comment

Darice gets free for a layup for a 49-45 lead. The Shocks rebound a missed trey with 15 seconds remaining and strangely Evansville lets the Shocks dribble out the game.

Shocks win to keep their hold on 1st place for the time being.

Comment

Not sure what this game was like to watch, but it was sure painful to listen to.

Jessica finally got going late and Chynna had a decent game, but I thought Michaela gave the Shocks a big lift off the bench with 10 points on 4-5 from the field including 2-3 from beyond the arc in a game where the Shocks struggled to score.

Kelsey did not play much in the second half. Seemed like her ankle was bothering her.

A beautiful-ugly win or Bugly as they say.

Way to go Shocks.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 27, 2013, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Ok, the Shocks match last year's all-time best Valley start at 7-0. Last year Illinois State broke the win streak. Up next for the Shocks is Illinois State next Friday at Koch Arena. A nice, supportive crowd would be very helpful.

Shocker Ladies are doing their best impression of the Shocker Men as the continue to find a way to win despite fighting injuries to key players (Jaz Gordon concussion, Kelsey Jacobs ankle and Alie Decker knee).

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                but I though Michaela gave the Shocks a big lift off the bench with 10 points on 4-5 from the field including 2-3 from beyond the arc on a night when the Shocks struggled to score.
                When Brian was not sure who to mention first on the post-game, HCJA called out "Dapp" as being the difference maker.

Comment

A 7-0 start is great, but that is all it is, a start. The finish is much more important at this point. Shocks started 7-0 last year then went 5-6 the rest of the way to finish 4th. We certainly don't want a duplicate of that. Thought the Shocks may have run out of gas a little last year and I have the same concerns this year especially with all the injuries we have forcing some kids to play a lot of minutes.

Hopefully, we get Jaz and Kelsey healthy soon and can spread the minutes a little better. It would be nice if the bugly wins are behind us but I anticipate more grind 'em out games with this group. Anytime you can sweep a road trip though you've done well.

Have a great trip home Ladies and enjoy the great start for the rest of the day, then get refocused and get after two top-half teams next weekend at home in ILS and INS..

Comment

@1972Shocker:, thanks for all the updates!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                      @1972Shocker, thanks for all the updates!
                      Your welcome.

Comment

[QUOTE=1972Shocker;364958]Your welcome.[/QUOTE

Jody was very pleased with Kelsey's grit as she is hurting. I'm confident our fine training staff will keep getting her back to normal. Jaz will be back. This injury run has been good for our bench. I'm not sure what the story is with Michelle. She didn't really see the floor. I hope she is not hurt as well. I know Chynna twisted her ankle, but seems to be fine. Come on Wichita, come out and support a very nice team; It's cheaper than a lousy movie.

Comment

Game write-up in the Evansville newspaper: http://www.courierpress.com/news/201...wichita-state/

Comment

Congrats to Chynna Turner on her selection as Valley Player of the Week for her performances in leading the Shocks to wins of SIU and Evansville this past weekend.

Chynna showed great senior leadership stepping up her game in the face of injuries to Jaz Gordon and Kelsey Jacobs.

Comment

Working...
                            X