WBB: Shocks 70 - Drake 51

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WBB: Shocks 70 - Drake 51

The Lady Shocks moved to 5-0 in Valley play with a somewhat pedestrian win over Drake (5-12, 0-6). Quite frankly, this was a game the Shockers should win by at least 19 at home.

The Shocks played a stellar first 16 minutes of basketball jumping out to a 40-20 lead and quite frankly seemed to put it in cruise control the rest of the game. The final 24 minutes were not particularly impressive as Drake out-hustled the Shocks and the Shocks did not exhibit a very high level of BBIQ either on the floor or on the bench. Michelle and Chynna both got into foul trouble and with Jaz Gordon still sidelined with a concussion that presented some problems. Nicole Wells played 17 minutes while she did grab 6 boards she did turn the ball over 4 times and only contributed 1 point. Must have been sending a message to Kelsey for some defensive lapses because Kelsey did not play a lot the 2nd half, but nevertheless chipped in 14 points on 7-9 shooting in 23 minutes.

Drake kept doing the same things over and over and over again and the Shocks simply refused to adjust until very late in the game.

I guess it's a good day when your down a starter, the Coach is sending messages and you still win by 19 to go 5-0.

Creighton stayed one-half game behind the Shocks with a solid 73-53 pounding of Missouri State in Springfield.

Shocks will try to match last season's 7-0 start with road games at SIU (4-12, 1-4) and surprising Evansville (6-10, 4-1) this coming Friday and Sunday.

Apparently, SIU's beleaguered women's coach, Missy Tiber, resigned today.

For the most part the Shocks ball movement and shot selection were pretty good tonight as they shot 58.2% from the field (after shooting a sizzling 63.6% from the field in the 1st half). Despite shooting well the Shocks were 0-7 on treys which is really not their game normally.

Here is the box score: http://archive.statbroadcast.com/12377.html

Alex Harden with a very nice all-around game: 11 points, 8 assists, 4 rebounds, and 3 steals in 38 minutes.

Shocks had 20 assists on 32 baskets which is excellent. They could cut down on some of their 17 turnovers simply by making better decisions and not forcing some passes that simply aren't open. OTOH, they turned Drake over 23 times including 15 steals which lead to a 24-14 advantage in points off of turnovers.

A little disappointed to be outrebounded by Drake (32-31) but the Drake kids did out-hustle the Shocks for a good part of the game. Agains it did not help have Jaz out, Michelle and Chynna in foul trouble and Kelsy apparently doing penance.

Comment

Wichita Eagle game report

Des Moines Register game report

It's interesting when you look for game articles in the Des Moines Register that Drake athletics clearly takes a back seat position behind Iowa and Iowa State sports. Compare that to the treatment Shocker athletics receive in the Eagle which IMO is very good. Obviously these decisions are made based on the desires of the markets served and that tells you a lot about the difference between the Drake progam and the Wichita State program.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        For the most part the Shocks ball movement and shot selection were pretty good tonight as they shot 58.2% from the field (after shooting a sizzling 63.6% from the field in the 1st half). Despite shooting well the Shocks were 0-7 on treys which is really not their game normally.

Here is the box score: http://archive.statbroadcast.com/12377.html

Alex Harden with a very nice all-around game: 11 points, 8 assists, 4 rebounds, and 3 steals in 38 minutes.

Shocks had 20 assists on 32 baskets which is excellent. They could cut down on some of their 17 turnovers simply by making better decisions and not forcing some passes that simply aren't open. OTOH, they turned Drake over 23 times including 15 steals which lead to a 24-14 advantage in points off of turnovers.

A little disappointed to be outrebounded by Drake (32-31) but the Drake kids did out-hustle the Shocks for a good part of the game. Agains it did not help have Jaz out, Michelle and Chynna in foul trouble and Kelsy apparently doing penance.
        It looked like the Lady Shox knew they had this one and let up on the intensity peddle. And I agree about Kelsey's penance. I saw Jody stare at Kelsey on the bench and then tell Nicole to go in. I thought Kelsey and the rest could have played harder, but to Kelsey's credit this was her best performance in the Proudy ratings by 1979. Evansville looks tough as do most of the upper half of the Valley. We have demonstrated we can win the Valley, must be consistent and intense for all opponents.

Comment

Hey @oldtimewomen's hoopcoach. Good to hear from you. Was wondering where you have been.

I was glad to see Nicole get some minutes. She deserves to play, especially when the Shockers have the game in hand and getting her some minutes should only help her if we need her in a pinch down the road.

Nicole did a good job on the boards which I think is her best skill. Otherwise, the main thing Nicole needs to keep in mind is that we don't need her to win the game, we need her to not lose the game.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 22, 2013, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Hey @oldtimewomen's hoopcoach. Good to hear from you. Was wondering where you have been.

I was glad to see Nicole get some minutes. She deserves to play, especially when the Shockers have the game in hand and getting her some minutes should only help her if we need her in a pinch down the road.

Nicole did a good job on the boards which I think is her best skill. Otherwise, the main thing Nicole needs to keep in mind is that we don't need her to win the game, we need her to not lose the game.
            Thanks. I've been on the road and I'm glad to see the Lady Shox alone in first. I agree with your comment about Nicole. When the game is decided, I believe everyone who is busting their tail in practice should be rewarded with some minutes. Also, an injury or two might cause the bench to be relied upon. Though I think Bugg has one of the most non-fundamental looking shots in the history of the game, I'm happy she is now a threat and perhaps will take some heat off of our inside game. Kelsey leads the team in field goal percentage and is in the top five in the Valley, so I'm glad she's looking to score more often. We need Jaz to come back soon. That concussion must have been pretty severe.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtimewomen's hoopcoach View Post
              Though I think Bugg has one of the most non-fundamental looking shots in the history of the game, I'm happy she is now a threat and perhaps will take some heat off of our inside game.
              Hard to say whether or not Bugg will be able to score consistently from the outside (and she also made a couple of oustanding up and under left-handed reverse layups against Creighton) with her fundamentals. Probably difficult to maintain consitency.

However, Bugg is nowhere close to having one of the most non-fundamental looking shots in the history of the game.

Actually Darice has very odd fundamentals as she shoots the ball with side-spin. Another former Shocker Jacie Hoyt also shot with side-spin.

But if you have not seen Jordan Garrison of Creighton shoot the ball then you have not seen the worst fundamental shot in the history of the game.

Comment

We need Jaz to come back soon. That concussion must have been pretty severe.
                Apparently, she sustained that concussion in the UNI game in which she played very well going 6-6 from the field. I listened to the UNI game and I think Jasmine played right up until the very end of the game and I don't remember any play call that indicated she may have hit her head or been hit in the head but I could of missed it. All I know is when I showed up for the Creighton game she was on the sidelines in her warmup suit. I was told last night that she will return for the SIU game. I think she might have been able to play vs Drake, but it was borderline so they held her out just to play is safe.

Comment

Congrats to Alex Harden for her well-deserved selection as the Valley Player of the Week. Let's just hope it's the first of many more to come:

Wichita State University sophomore Alex Harden was named the Missouri Valley Conference Player of the Week for Jan. 22.

:triumphant:

Comment

Hard to say whether or not Bugg will be able to score consistently from the outside (and she also made a couple of oustanding up and under left-handed reverse layups against Creighton) with her fundamentals. Probably difficult to maintain consitency.

However, Bugg is nowhere close to having one of the most non-fundamental looking shots in the history of the game.

Actually Darice has very odd fundamentals as she shoots the ball with side-spin. Another former Shocker Jacie Hoyt also shot with side-spin.

But if you have not seen Jordan Garrison of Creighton shoot the ball then you have not seen the worst fundamental shot in the history of the game.

http://www.omaha.com/article/2013011...-cu-s-garrison
                    Goodness gracious sakes alive, 1972, I'm just making a tongue in cheek comment. Actually Lynn Shakelford, UCLA had the ugliest shot of all time. Had to shoot around a guy-wire in his gym in high school which caused him to shoot with the ball on the opposite side of his shooting hand. He still scored on his high arching, ugly shot. He was involved in three NCAA Wooden championship teams and played with Wichita/UCLA great Lucius Allen who was a better baseball player. I know; practice was better than most games, but the gym was closed so the public couldn't watch. Anyway, back to the old point, as I ramble, Bugg might be a perceived threat, which is good.

Comment

I remember Lynn Shackleford's shot. Unusual but very effective. Still I think Creighton's Jordan Garrison wins my vote for most unorthodox shooting style.

When you see it, you simply have to say "What in the world was that?"

But as they say, they don't ask how, the just ask how many!

Comment

I remember Lynn Shackleford's shot. Unusual but very effective. Still I think Creighton's Jordan Garrison wins my vote for most unorthodox shooting style.

When you see it, you simply have to say "What in the world was that?"

But as they say, they don't ask how, the just ask how many!
                        I saw the article and picture; thanks and ugh!! You're right. Lynn looks textbook perfect compared to that. All that matters is it's not how pretty, it's how many, like golf. Put it in the hole. I'm hoping Bugg is not a fluke and she was recruited for what she is doing now.

Comment

I saw the article and picture; thanks and ugh!! You're right. Lynn looks textbook perfect compared to that. All that matters is it's not how pretty, it's how many, like golf. Put it in the hole. I'm hoping Bugg is not a fluke and she was recruited for what she is doing now.
                          Confidence is a great thing in sports and no more so then when it comes to shooting a basketball. There is no doubt that second half against Creighton gave Bugg some needed confidence which she showed again against Drake. OTOH, Bugg still needs to have the BBIQ to understand that she is not our primariy offensive weapon and that she will be most effective deferring to her teammates and being very selective with her shots. Against Creighton they pretty much were just leaving her alone and she definitely made them pay for that. As you say, she just has to be enough of a threat to be taken seriously and, at least for now, I think she has established that.

Comment

another win,number one in the valley and playing with a ton of confidence and the local news says nothing....smh,no support for the womens game imo. but great win ladies,an awesome job of coaching on coach adams part.

Comment

One tv news station forget the women were even playing at home and showed up with under 10 min left in the game and left 6 minutes later. Not a lot of love there for the ladies.

I've got a question, maybe OTWHC can help me out. A number of times this season, the ladies have gone on scoring runs where they might a couple of fast break baskets back to back and really steal the momentum. Why does Jody call time out in these situations? I can see the opposing team calling one to calm their players but can't figure out why she does it. It feels like she slows our momentum instead of forcing the other team into burning one.
                              Originally posted by mumdaddy316 View Post
                              another win,number one in the valley and playing with a ton of confidence and the local news says nothing....smh,no support for the womens game imo. but great win ladies,an awesome job of coaching on coach adams part.

Comment

Working...
                              X