Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shockers v Missouri State

Shockers 76-64 Missouri State
    Last edited by flyingMoose; January 4, 2013, 07:09 AM.

Good win for the Lady Shocks who played a very good and spirited 1st half taking a 39-26 lead into the locker room lead by Jessie Diamonds 17 first half points. The second half was not nearly as good and MSU pulled to within 6 points with about 8:30 remaining, but the Shocks were nails from the free throw line late, lead by Alex Harden and were able to fend off the Lady Bears to open the Valley season with a good win.

Shocks went 22-26 (84.6%) for one of their better performances with that many attempts.

Alie Decker appeared to have re-injured her knee and could be lost for awhile.

Shocks have a couple of tough road games next week at Bradley and at UNI.

Comment

Game articles: Wichita and Springfield.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        The second half was not nearly as good and MSU pulled to within 6 points with about 8:30 remaining ...
        When the Bears went to a 3-2 zone (they played it a little in the first half), they slowed us down a bunch. Fortunately, we had built a large enough lead that they were unable to close the gap. They also got some easy buckets in the second half because we spent too much time trying to steal the ball from the rebounder or intercept the outlet pass rather than getting back on defense. But all is well that ends well.

Alie Decker appeared to have re-injured her knee and could be lost for awhile.
        I couldn't see what happened. Did she hurt herself and then fall? Did she fall in the scrum and then get stepped on?

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
          When the Bears went to a 3-2 zone (they played it a little in the first half), they slowed us down a bunch. Fortunately, we had built a large enough lead that they were unable to close the gap. They also got some easy buckets in the second half because we spent too much time trying to steal the ball from the rebounder or intercept the outlet pass rather than getting back on defense. But all is well that ends well.

I couldn't see what happened. Did she hurt herself and then fall? Did she fall in the scrum and then get stepped on?
          I got word she injured her good knee. So now has two bumb knees. Don't know if it was hitting the floor or a twist and possible tear.

Comment

Yes, I noticed the zone definitely impacted our offense. Why anyone plays us man-to-man is beyond me.

I thought our defense over the final five minutes became too conservative, possibly because they were under orderss not to foul. Looked like a bullfight sans the red capes, but definitely some ole' defense being played.

I about swallowed my tongue when Chynna made the 60 foot inbounds pass to Alex late, but Alex made a great catch and drive to the hoop for 2 so it turned out great. Alex came alive after she made that trey. She sure wasn't the right player to foul down the stretch either going 8-8. You watch Alex's pure stroke on her free throws and you kind of wonder why she isn't a better shooter from the floor. However, her picture-perfect form on her free-throws gives me hope she will develop into a pretty efficient scorer before she's done.

I really did not see what happenned to Alie Decker at all. At first I thought she may have hit her head as she looked like a wobbly boxer that had just been tagged square on the chin. They really struggled to get her off the court, in fact, I thought they rushed things a bit, and I was little surprised when she returned to the bench, although with her leg heavily wrapped in ice. Hopefully, Jody will have something to report on her radio show Monday.

Comment

I really did not see what happenned to Alie Decker at all. At first I thought she may have hit her head as she looked like a wobbly boxer that had just been tagged square on the chin.
              I had the same thought - it may have been the head and a knee.

Comment

I had the same thought - it may have been the head and a knee.
                I heard Ali had an MRI today; don't know the outcome. Ali Decker does not fit the typical Shox mode of athletic player as most opponent's coaches describe us. I certainly hope she is back, but I would guess may be a redshirt player, based on two knee injuries. We showed we can compete in the Valley. We sweep Bradley and UNI on the road and I'd say we have a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtimewomen's hoopcoach View Post
                  We sweep Bradley and UNI on the road and I'd say we have a shot.
                  That would be great start to Valley play. That's a road trip that not too many, if any, Valley teams will sweep. Of course, we got off to a great start last year as well. 1 down, 17 to go. A long season still ahead.

Hard to feel real good about Alie's situatution if the way she struggled to get to the locker room is any indication of how badly she was hurt. If Alie is out for the rest of the season at least the injury occurred at point where I believe she would qualify for a medical redshirt consideration. Good luck, Alie.

Comment

Watched a replay of the Shocker-MSU game on ESPN3. What happened on Alie's injury is that Jaz Gordon lunged to tip away a MSU pass to the block, after Jaz tipped the ball she fell to the floor as Alie was coming towards the basket to get involved in the play. Jaz fell backwards dirently into Alie's leg hitting her right knee with the back of her shoulder. Of course, there ain't no fat on Jaz to cushion any blow.

I did not see any twisting of the knee. Directionally, it looked like it coulld have been a little hyperextended and maybe also bruised. Alie was getting up on her own and listening in on timeouts in the second half although moving very gingerly. Let's hope it is no more than that although she missed a month after hyperextending her left knee before the regular season started. Conditioning will be a real issue for Alie is she has to miss another month.

Comment

Watched a replay of the Shocker-MSU game on ESPN3. What happened on Alie's injury is that Jaz Gordon lunged to tip away a MSU pass to the block, after Jaz tipped the ball she fell to the floor as Alie was coming towards the basket to get involved in the play. Jaz fell backwards dirently into Alie's leg hitting her right knee with the back of her shoulder. Of course, there ain't no fat on Jaz to cushion any blow.

I did not see any twisting of the knee. Directionally, it looked like it coulld have been a little hyperextended and maybe also bruised. Alie was getting up on her own and listening in on timeouts in the second half although moving very gingerly. Let's hope it is no more than that although she missed a month after hyperextending her left knee before the regular season started. Conditioning will be a real issue for Alie is she has to miss another month.
                      Got the facts: Ali tore her MCL to go with the MCL on her other knee. It can heal without surgery. NCAA medical hardships can be granted after the season, so we will see. Basically, she's out for most of the Valley. Kelsey will most likely play her natural guard position. She was a guard all four years of high school. I know, hard to believe.

Comment

After the 1st weekend of Valley play on the women's side I didn't really see any surprises unlike the Men. While this may be a bit premature my early take on the conference season is:

Teams to beat: Creighton and Illinois State

The Muddle in the Middle: Wichita State, Missouri State, Northern Iowa, Indiana State, Bradley

The Bottom Feeders: Drake, Evansville and Southern Illinois

While CU and ILS are the teams to beat they are certainly not unbeatable. The teams in the middle seem capable of knocking each other off. The team that plays the best on the road will emerge from this bunch.

If you want to make any noise at all in this year you simply can not be losing to any of the three bottom feeders.

The Valley appears to be a one bid confernence again this year so as always you want to be playing your best at year end.

One concern for the Shocks coming into the season, still remains. Jessica Diamond is averaging 33.5 minutes per game and logged 38 minutes against Missouri State. Will Jessica's legs hold up through a long season?

Comment

After the 1st weekend of Valley play on the women's side I didn't really see any surprises unlike the Men. While this may be a bit premature my early take on the conference season is:

Teams to beat: Creighton and Illinois State

The Muddle in the Middle: Wichita State, Missouri State, Northern Iowa, Indiana State, Bradley

The Bottom Feeders: Drake, Evansville and Southern Illinois

While CU and ILS are the teams to beat they are certainly not unbeatable. The teams in the middle seem capable of knocking each other off. The team that plays the best on the road will emerge from this bunch.

If you want to make any noise at all in this year you simply can not be losing to any of the three bottom feeders.

The Valley appears to be a one bid confernence again this year so as always you want to be playing your best at year end.

One concern for the Shocks coming into the season, still remains. Jessica Diamond is averaging 33.5 minutes per game and logged 38 minutes against Missouri State. Will Jessica's legs hold up through a long season?
                          I agree with your Valley assessment. Illinois State has a very nice team. Jessie D. currently appears to have lots of bounce in her legs and is injury free, but you are right, she could use a little more rest.

Comment

Working...
                          X