Shockers @ SMU, Saturday, Dec 22 at Noon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shockers @ SMU, Saturday, Dec 22 at Noon

Shocks travel to SMU for the final non-conference road game of the year.

SMU should be comparable to an upper level Valley team. SMU has a transfer from Kansas, Keena Mays, who just became eligible for the 2nd semester. Mays has made a huge impact in the two games she has played since becoming eligilbe scoring 23 and 33 to lead the Mustangs.

This game and the upcoming home game against Wisconsin-Green Bay will tell us a lot about whether the Shocks are ready to contend by for an MVC title.

These two games will also give us a better idea if Michaela, Alie and Darice will be able to produce some offense during the Conference season.

Go Shocks!
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 22, 2012, 02:49 PM.

Shocks down 31-18 after a very poor 1st half where they were plagued by fouls, turnovers and poor shooting.

The Shocks have turned the ball over 14 times and committed 14 fouls. Fortunately, SMU has 11 turnovers of their own and have only hit 8-18 from the line or it could be a lot worse.

The Shocks are 7-26 (26.9%) from the field and have missed all 6 of their trey attempts and that is with a solid 4-6 shooting performance from Kelsey Jacobs. The rest of the team is 3-20 (15%). The Shocks have also hit only 4 of 8 FT attempts.

Sounds like a very bugly basketball game.

:(
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 22, 2012, 02:49 PM.

Comment

The Shocks found themselves trailing 38-22 with about 14 minutes left in the game when they all of a sudden showed some life and started hitting some shots.

A 10-0 run pulled the them within 38-32 with 11:45 to go and they have now narrowed the lead to 45-41 with 8 minutes remaining. The Shocks have been lead back by the shooting of Alie Decker and Darice Fountaine.

A 3 by Jessica pulls the Shocks to within 1 at 45-44 with 7:30 to go.

All of a sudden we have a ball game.

Keep it going Shocks.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 22, 2012, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Now Alex Harden gets a steal and a transition basket to give the Shocks their 1st lead of the game at 48-47 with 5:45 to go. The improved play seems to be getting contagious.

Comment

The Shocks complete the improbable comeback with 61-59 win.

After Alex put the Shocks up 48-47 with 5:45 to go it was back and forth until the final buzzer with 9 lead changes and 2 ties after that point.

Jessica hit a trey to put the Shocks up at 59-57 with 40 seconds remaining. After an SMU basket tied the game at 59-59, Michelle price hit a driving layup with 10 seconds remaining for the game winning basket. However, a foul with 3.5 seconds left gave SMU an opportunity to tie the game but they missed the front end of the 1-and-1 and the clock expired in the waning rebound scrum.

Way to fight back Ladies. This is the kind of win you may be able to build on. The Shocks certainly need to learn that they have to play more than 14 minutes though. Apparently, a couple of the Ladies were a little under the weather.

Comment

The Shocks shot 58% (18-31) from the field in the 2nd half and made 5 of 8 treys after missing all 6 trey attempts in the 1st half. Darice hit a trey and Alie hit two treys to lead the Shocks back into the game and Jessica hit two treys in the final 7 minutes inlcuded the big triple with 40 seconds remaining.

The Shocks only turned the ball over 5 times in the second half (compared to 14 first half turnovers). The Shocks did have to overcome a 34-43 rebounding deficit but again most of that was in the first half.

Jessica lead the way with 16 points. Kelsey chipped in 12 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals and 4 blocks and was probably the only Shocker that played well throughout the game. Darice (7) and Alie (6) contributed 13 points in the 2nd half after going scoreless in the 1st half. Most of the points were in the Shocks run that got them back into the game. Chynna did not have a real good game offensively but she did grab 10 rebounds, again most of those in the 2nd half. Once the Shocks did get rolling it became pretty much a team effort to close out the win.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 22, 2012, 02:47 PM.

Comment

The Shocks were only 6-12 from the line. SMU was worse. The Shocks probably lose this game if it wasn't for SMU going 14-29 (48.3%) from the line. Perhaps an early Christmas gift for the Shocks. You generally would prefer not to rely on your free throw defense for a win. That said the Shocks seemed to be dead in the water 26 minutes in and they deserve credit for not giving up.

The win will certainly make the bus ride back to Wichita much more enjoyable. And how about Michelle making the game winning basket in front of her Mom her came up from the Houston area. I suspect that between Michelle, Chynna and Jessica that the Shockers were well represented by family and friends from the Houston area.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 22, 2012, 02:48 PM.

Comment

During the first 26 minutes of the game the Shocks scored at the rate of 0.846 points per minute (about 34 points over a full 40 minute game). In the games final 14 minutes they scored at a rate if 2.786 pointers per minute (about 111 points over a 40 minute game).

If this team can find some consistent offensive production they should be able to compete for a Valley title. I don't think Wisconsin-Green Bay will let us get away with such an uneven performance next weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  During the first 26 minutes of the game the Shocks scored at the rate of 0.846 points per minute (about 34 points over a full 40 minute game). In the games final 14 minutes they scored at a rate if 2.786 pointers per minute (about 111 points over a 40 minute game).

If this team can find some consistent offensive production they should be able to compete for a Valley title. I don't think Wisconsin-Green Bay will let us get away with such an uneven performance next weekend.
                  I paid to watch on CBSSPORTS.com SMU web site. I also called some of my WSU friends who were in the house. Apparently the Shox signed recruits were there, Kelsey's family was there, Chrystal Henderson ( former player) was there. Many Shox fans. Ali's family, Michaela's family. The SMU announcer on their web site said, Kelsey is the most dangerous player on the floor. I agree. The stats don't tell the whole story. She was the best defender, help defense altering shots. 60% from the field and could have scored more, but dished to Jessie and Ali for 3's when needed. I wish Nicole Wells could have gotten a couple of minutes as her Dad was in the house. Though, I know this was tight and Nicole is not really a player at this level. Kelsey is the X factor and more. I hope she has this kind of game all through the Valley this year and two more years.

Comment

It's like the men and women decided to play the exact same game against Southern M (Methodist and Mississippi) teams.
                    Last edited by The Mad Hatter; December 22, 2012, 11:21 PM.
                    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Nice win. The turmoil surrounding the program has found the only antidote, which is winning. It will be very interesting to see who doesn't come back to the program after Christmas. I hope everyone does, but probably not a certainty.
                      "Two dribbles and a ham sandwich" ~ Gregg Marshall
                      Wichita State, a team long on grit, made everything it shot. ~ Normal, Ill. newspaper 2/19/13

Comment

Originally posted by Fredster View Post
                        Nice win. The turmoil surrounding the program has found the only antidote, which is winning. It will be very interesting to see who doesn't come back to the program after Christmas. I hope everyone does, but probably not a certainty.
                        I don't think there is any reason to anticipate any more departures. Molly O'Brien has already left the team and I wish her all the best. Hopefully, Molly will find a good situation that is more suited to her talent level.

I may be dreaming but it seems like Coach Eikenberg has been a little more subdued on the bench since the "push ups" incident. If that is the case, then Jody has done the right thing by reining Dana in a little bit.

Let's hope this come from behind win against SMU serves as a catalyst to a strong finish to the season. Won't take long to find out as Wisconsin-Green Bay is one of the better, if not the best, mid-major programs in the country coming up next Sunday afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                          I don't think there is any reason to anticipate any more departures. Molly O'Brien has already left the team and I wish her all the best. Hopefully, Molly will find a good situation that is more suited to her talent level.

I may be dreaming but it seems like Coach Eikenberg has been a little more subdued on the bench since the "push ups" incident. If that is the case, then Jody has done the right thing by reining Dana in a little bit.

Let's hope this come from behind win against SMU serves as a catalyst to a strong finish to the season. Won't take long to find out as Wisconsin-Green Bay is one of the better, if not the best, mid-major programs in the country coming up next Sunday afternoon.
                          The entire team looks to have very good chemistry. Everyone gets minutes except Nicole, but she has a good team attitude. Dana and Kirk both seem to be very positive on the bench. Kirk spends time teaching the posts during the game. Not that I had the greatest view from a web site, but the coaching staff appeared to be very positive, good sub pattern for offense and defense and Jody showed incredible emotion with the win; I have not seen that from her; fist pumping, smile from ear to ear. If we can just play 30-35 minutes of consistent ball, we will compete for a title. Only playing half the game will not do it; nor will someone like Kelsey playing great one game and disappearing the next game. I saw around 15 minutes of good basketball. Alex has disappeared the past few games and needs to step up, she is a talent.

Comment

Working...
                          X