Shockers vs Northern Colorado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shockers vs Northern Colorado

The Shocks host Northern Colorado on Friday at noon in what has become a semi-annual event -- The Schoolhouse Rocks Game.

If you can't make a mid-day, work-day game or if your ears just aren't up to absorbing the shrill screams of 8 or 9 thousand grade school kids amplified by Koch Arena you can catch the game on Cox KS22 or DVR it and watch it later.

Normally I would feel pretty good about the Shocks winning this game, but with the way the Shocks have been struggling to put points on the boards I guess nothing is assured.

RealTimeRPI projects an 11 point win for the Shocks.

Hopefully, the Shocks start finding their offense a little with this game.

:wsu_posters:
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 7, 2012, 12:07 PM.

The one game I skip every year, the dreaded schoolhouse rocks game. Tried it once, that was plenty. Good luck to the lady Shox and anyone who braves the screaming kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Shox1979 View Post
      The one game I skip every year, the dreaded schoolhouse rocks game. Tried it once, that was plenty. Good luck to the lady Shox and anyone who braves the screaming kids.
      Same here. Or is that same hear? What was that. Does give our average attendance a nice, but gimmicky, boost. I suppose it is a good deal for a lot of kids who probably otherwise would never get to attend a game in Koch Arena. Not sure how many of the kids actually pay attention to the game though. But I have no problem with the event.

In any case, if you are attending might I suggest some ear plugs as a game accessory.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        Same here. Or is that same hear? What was that. Does give our average attendance a nice, but gimmicky, boost. I suppose it is a good deal for a lot of kids who probably otherwise would never get to attend a game in Koch Arena. Not sure how many of the kids actually pay attention to the game though. But I have no problem with the event.

In any case, if you are attending might I suggest some ear plugs as a game accessory.
        Not in town. Just score with a nice rhythem. Three to four double digit scorers. Or one big time go to scorer and some other minor scorers. Motion. Passing Game. High post offense. Triangle, Knicks passing game, Princeton. Not high ball screen and figure it out. Please; We can figure this out. We have some nice players.

Comment

Pregame article form the Eagle -- topic is Offense. Wow, that's a surpirse.

Comment

Originally posted by Shox1979 View Post
            The marketing people call it The Schoolhouse etc. I call it Screamin' Friday.

Comment

The bad news is the Shocks are still searching for their offense. The good news is the defense is still good.

Shocks lead 20-19 at the half.

Shocks only scored 6 points in the first 15 minutes. That projects to a 16 point scoring output over 40 minutes. However, they did manage 14 points over the final 5 minutes which is a very good scoring pace (112 per 40 minutes).

Shocks received a late boost from Alie Decker, making her official Shocker debut, and Darice Fountaine, who has been in Jody's doghouse. Alie hit a 3-pointer to pull the Shocks to 14-13. Darice hit a long 2-point jumper to give the Shocks their first tie of the game at 16-16 and then followed that with a 3-pointer for the the Shocks first least of the game at 19-16.

Hopefully, that last 5 minutes of the half will carry over into the 2nd half.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 7, 2012, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Not an offensive explosion but good enough for the Shocks to pull away for an easy 51-35 win.

Alie Decker (8) and Darice Fountaine (7) pitch in 15 points off the bench to give the Shocks a nice boost.

Still have some work to do on the offensive end but we are playing good enough defense to keep us in most games.

Live Stats
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 7, 2012, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Did someone say "bench scoring"?!? :encouragement:

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                    Did someone say "bench scoring"?!? :encouragement:
                    The bench actually contributed 28 of our 51 points today. However, the bench included Jessica and Alex who did not start today. Alex only had 4 points on 1-8 shooting but she have a very good floor game with 5 rebounds, 3 blocks, 1 steal, 4 assists to 2 turnovers and very solid defense plus a partridge in a pear tree. In fact, the TV crew selected her POG which is rare for a player who shoots 1-8. In Alex's defense I think about half of her shots were end of the shot clock forces where she was well guarded. I thouht it was a good choice by Mark and Bob.

Comment

The bench actually contributed 28 of our 51 points today. However, the bench included Jessica and Alex who did not start today. Alex only had 4 points on 1-8 shooting but she have a very good floor game with 5 rebounds, 3 blocks, 1 steal, 4 assists to 2 turnovers and very solid defense plus a partridge in a pear tree. In fact, the TV crew selected her POG which is rare for a player who shoots 1-8. In Alex's defense I think about half of her shots were end of the shot clock forces where she was well guarded. I thouht it was a good choice by Mark and Bob.
                      Watched on Shocker Vision. I noticed a couple of half court schemes I haven't see before. More off the ball screens and backdoor cuts that put players in a position to score. We didn't. We missed many open shots. That's not coaching. Pleased to see Ali with a torn MCL, gutting it out and knocking down shots and getting boards. She's very slow and a liability on "D", but can give the team some energy as can Daurice. Kelsey looked a bit sluggish. I think banging inside and getting called for some ticky-tack fouls may have gotten to her. Someone predicted .500 for the pre-season; looks like it will probably happen and then we need to click on all cylinders for Valley play.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtimewomen's hoopcoach View Post
                        She's very slow and a liability on "D
                        Despite that Alie did lead the team in rebounding against Northern Colorado with a total of 6 (3 offensive + 3 defensive) in 20 minutes of play. This in a game where the Shocks were outrebounded by 39-33. Could be Alie will be able to make up some of her athletic shortcomings with some above average BBIQ.

One thing is for certain, Jody will have to find some minutes for Alie and Darice if they continue to show they are the only ones who can knock down the perimerter shot with any consistency even if they do not defend up to Jody's standards. I think with most of the teams on our schedule we can find a defensive match up for them where their defensive deficiencies won't do much harm.
                        Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 8, 2012, 04:57 PM.

Comment

One thing is for certain, Jody will have to find some minutes for Alie and Darice if they continue to show they are the only ones who can knock down the perimerter shot with any consistency even if they do not defend up to Jody's standards.
                          I'm starting to think Jody's standards for defense are to guard your man as closely as possible, overplay at every opportunity, ignore any basketball sense at all, and when in doubt, foul.

Comment

I thought our team defense against Northern Colorado was pretty good. We were communicating well and our switches were pretty seamless and effective and we did not give up a lot of drives to the basket from the perimeter.

Bottom line is we have held our last 8 opponents to an average of 47 points per game. On the year the Shocks are holding opponents to 35.8% from the field (25.0% from the arc). Opponents have shot 28 more free throws than the Shocks over 9 games. Fortunately, they are only shooting 62.0% from the line. That kind of defenses is more than acceptable. Our issues clearly are not on the defensive end although at times we do struggle with our rebounding.

We scored 70 points agaisnt LSU, but it did not take teams long to figure out the winning game plan against the Shocks. Minimize our transition baskets and force us to play in the half-court against a packed-in zone or sagging man-to-man defense. Force the Shocks to get their points outside the paint. Unfortunately, those tactics have worked pretty well.

If the Shocks had any kind of offense at all we could easily be 8-1, if not 9-0, and looking very good for a run at a Valley title.

Jody's comments in her TV interview following the Northern Colorado closed with the following:

We've got some time before our next game and we only have two games before we end December and we're really going to spend that time on us. I think we need to do that and put in some of our defensive packages before we head into the Valley.
                            Apparently, Jody has some additional defensive schemes she wants to have ready when Valley play begins. We do open at home on January 3rd against Missouri State who is averaging 73.3 points per game against a schedule (SoS #12 by RealTimeRPI.com) that is tougher overall than the Shocks have played (SoS #170). OTOH, Missouri State has given up 73.5 points per game. So clearly that is looking like a game that will be strength vs strength.

Personally, I hope the Shocks spend at least an equal amount of time during the next 3 weeks trying to improve their offensive efficiency and productivity.
                            Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 8, 2012, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X