Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2024-25 Shocker Women's Tennis

Tennis Teams Set 2024 Legends Cup Kickoff Event Date

Members of the community are invited to join the Wichita State tennis teams for an evening of free food, fun and skill instruction at the annual Legends Cup Kickoff, Tuesday, Aug. 20 at Sheldon Coleman Tennis Complex located on the Wichita State University campus.

The event serves as a launch party for the Legends Cup Tennis League, a weekly fall competition that pairs amateur tennis players with local "legends," including current and former Shockers. Click HERE for more information about the league.

Festivities begin at 6 p.m. with a free clinic, open to all ages and skill levels. Players do not need to take part in the league in order to participate in the clinic. Dinner and drinks will be provided.

This will be the fifth year the teams have hosted the Legends Cup and players of any age and any skill level are invited to join the event.

"The Legends Cup is always a ton of fun for everyone," Head women's coach Colin Foster said. "Everyone who signs up gets at least six matches paired with a Shocker player or coach. You really get to know us and the teams while playing and get to have a lot of fun with them."

League participants will also have the opportunity to bid on playing partners with proceeds benefiting the Shocker tennis programs.

"The League is competitive, but it is a ton of fun," said Foster. "I encourage anyone who is interested to reach out to me and ask more questions and to come out to the free clinic on August 20 for a night of fun."​

WTEN Preview: Kansas State Invitational

The Wichita State women's tennis team opens the 2024 fall campaign with a short trip to Manhattan, where the Shockers will play in the Kansas State Invitational, September 20-22 at Mike Goss Tennis Stadium. Competition begins at 9:00 am Friday and runs through Sunday.

The Invitational is set up for players from five teams to compete in dual-style doubles and singles matches.

The Shockers will face high-level, ranked competition at the Invitational, as Arkansas, Iowa State, and South Florida, join host Kansas State at the Invitational. Four of the five teams were ranked at multiple points at the ITA top 75 poll during the 2024 spring season.

All but one Shocker will compete in the event, as sophomore standout Xin Tong Wang has earned a bid to compete in the ITA All-American Championships in Cary, North Carolina.​

Comment

Wang to Compete in ITA All-American Championship

Wichita State women's tennis sophomore Xin Tong Wang is set to open play in the 2024 ITA All-American Championship, beginning on Saturday, September 21 at Cary Tennis Park in Cary, North Carolina.

Wang earned the bid after a sensational freshman campaign where she earned a selection to the American Athletic Conference All-Conference team, amassing 27 total wins in dual matches, going 12-7 in singles and 15-5 in doubles.

Wang will begin in the round of 128, pre-qualifying round against University of Southern California graduate student, Maia Sung. Sung transferred to USC from Princeton, where she was a Second Team All-Ivy League in singles last season.

The top 10 singles players and four doubles teams at the tournament will earn bids to the NCAA Individual Championships in November. Eight of the singles bids will come from the main draw and the remaining two will be feed-ins from the consolation bracket. The Championship runs from Saturday, September 21 to Sunday, September 29. ​

Comment

Shockers Put Up Strong Showing in Manhattan

The Wichita State women's tennis team put up an impressive showing in their first team action of the fall at the Kansas State Invitational over the weekend.

Head coach Colin Foster was very pleased with his team's performance in the Invitational.

"We had a lot of physically challenging matches and responded well," said Foster. "Friday in particular was very hot, and we endured and responded with a consistent effort and energy as the weekend continued."

The Shockers went a strong 9-3 in singles and added on three doubles win, including going 5-1 in singles matches on Sunday.

Theodora Chantava, Kristina Kudryavtseva, and Anne Knuettel all went 2-0 in singles on the weekend. The pairing of Kudryavtseva and Sati Aubakirova led the Shockers in doubles with a 2-1 record.

"We had lots of learning this weekend, but also lots of positives and hopefully they see the hard work they are putting in is already paying dividends," said Foster. "This team has a lot of room for positive growth, and we're excited to get back to work and keep getting better."​

​Shocker results from the weekend:

DOUBLES
        Narker/Ramos (Iowa State) def. Giorgia Roselli/Theodora Chantava (Wichita State), 7-6 (4)
        Alberto/Camblor (Iowa State) def. Sati Aubakirova/Kristina Kudryavtseva (Wichita State), 6-3
        Prestorious/San Martin (Iowa State) def. Clara Whitaker/Anne Knuettel (Wichita State), 6-3
        Kulhava/Chogsomjav (Kansas State) def. Roselli/Chantava (WSU), 7-6 (5)
        Whitaker/Knuettel (WSU) def. Garakani/Morris (Kansas State), 7-6 (8)
        Aubakirova/Kudryavtseva (WSU) def. Leeson/Marcon (South Florida), 7-6 (6)
        Aubakirova/Kudryavtseva (WSU) def. Gonzalez/Kulidijan (USF), 6-2

Leeson/Marcon (USF) def. Chantava/Roselli (WSU), 6-3

SINGLES
        Knuettel (WSU) def. Niroshan (USF), 6-0, 6-2
        Gonzalez (USF) def. Aubakirova (WSU), 6-3, 6-4
        Whitaker (WSU) def. Kulidijan (USF), 2-6, 6-2, 10-4
        Chantava (WSU) def. Senli (USF), 6-4, 4-6, 10-5

Marcon (USF) def. Roselli (WSU), 6-3, 6-7 (5-7), 10-2
        Kudryavtseva (WSU) def. Leeson (USF), 7-6 (7-2), 4-6, 13-11
        Kudryavtseva (WSU) def. Garakani (KSU), 1-6, 6-1, 10-8

Santos (KSU) def. Whitaker (WSU), 6-2, 6-4
        Roselli (WSU) def. Kulhava (KSU), 6-3, 4-6, 10-4
        Knuettel (WSU) def. Pavlechova (Arkansas), 7-5, 6-3
        Chantava (WSU) def. McCarthy (ARK), 6-1, 6-3
        Aubakirova (WSU) def. Ndungane (ARK), 6-1, 6-0

Comment

Comment

Comment

Everybody Wang Chung tonight, everybody cheer Xin Tong tonight.

Comment

Xin Tong keeps movin' on:

Scores were 6-3, 5-7 and 6-4.

Comment

The Main Draw? ... the Final Two? .. this is crazy. I think she is in the Quarters now, right?

Comment

I can't recall anything recently that anyone on the men's or women's side has had this kind of run in this kind of event. I could easily be wrong as tennis isn't the sport I follow the closest, but regardless, this is an impressive run for the young lady.
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                      I can't recall anything recently that anyone on the men's or women's side has had this kind of run in this kind of event. I could easily be wrong as tennis isn't the sport I follow the closest, but regardless, this is an impressive run for the young lady.
                      Wichita State women's tennis sophomore Xin Tong Wang won three pre qualifier matches over the weekend to move into the qualifying bracket of the ITA All-American Championships at Cary Tennis Park.

She is only the second Shocker to advance through the pre-qualifying draw, joining Shocker Hall of Famer Lutfiana Budiharto's 2009 run.

Wang defeated three power four opponents to make it into the qualifying draw. She opened play with a 4-6, 6-2, 7-6 (6) win over University of Southern California's Maia Sung on Saturday afternoon, then defeated North Carolina State's Kristina Paskauskas 7-6 (2), 7-5 and wrapped up Sunday with a 6-1, 6-4 win over Penn State's Olivia Dorner to reach the qualifying bracket.​

https://goshockers.com/news/2024/9/2...americans.aspx

Budiharto was a sophomore in he fall of 2009. She and teammate Stephanie Dalmacio, a senior, also competed in the doubles as the #7 seed.

Here is a series of goshocker.com reports covering their 2009 play in the ITA All American Championships if anyone is interested:

Shocks Advance to Qualifying Draw

Shocker Duo Still Standing

Budiharto Stays Hot

Budiharto Claims Consolation Title
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

A little Shocker Hall of Fame trivia. 6 Shocker men tennis players have taken up residence in the Shocker Hall of Fame.

However, prior to Luftiana Budiharto's induction in 2020 the only women's tennis player to be inducted was Sandy Sadler in 1999.

I 'm rooting for Xin Tong Wang to join that select club.

Comment

If I am interpreting this accurately Xin Tong will be playing at noon today against Melodie Collard, a 5-10 senior out of Canada who plays collegiately at Virginia. Collard was ranked #91 in the preseason ITA singles rankings.

It looks like Collard was one of 112 players that received a bye into the Qualifying Rounds. Xin Tong, a 5-5 sophomore, is 1 of 16 players who survived 3 rounds of pre-qualifying to make the Qualifying Rounds. It appears there are 16 overall top seeded players.

In yesterday's Round of 64 in the Qualifying Rounds the unseeded Collard knocked of the #1 overall seed, Ria Bahkta of Clemson, without too much difficulty 6-1, 6-3. The no. 5, 6, 7, 9, and 14 seeds also lost in the Round of 64.

In any case, sounds like a tough match for Xin Tong.

Xin Tong did quite have enough today falling in 3 sets 2-6, 6-4, 3-6.

I caught just the very end of the final set. Xin looked to me like she may have been a bit gassed. She was played her 5th match in 4 days while Collard was playing her 2nd match in 2 days although this would have been a tough chore for Xin Tong under the best of circumstances.

Not sure if she is done or if she drops into the consolation bracket.
                          Last edited by 1972Shocker; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                              X