Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RH: Podcast with Salese Blow on Shocker Basketball

Listen to the podcast

Wichita State's Salese Blow joins the podcast to talk about following up on standout freshman season. She discusses the origins of her nickname, coach Terry Nooner's practices and her impressions of freshman KP Parr as defensive pest. We also talk about her basketball family and how it goes when she critiques her mom's work as a college and NBA G League referee.

Blow is a sophomore guard from Plano Senior High School in Texas. She is coming off a strong freshman season in which she averaged 12.3 points and earned AAC freshma of the week honors three times. She also earned AAC Academic All-Conference honors in 2024.​

Comment

Wichita State Picked 12th in AAC Preseason Coaches’ Poll

Preseason Coaches' Poll
      1.South Florida (8) – 135
      2.North Texas (3) – 124
      Rice (2) – 124
      4.Tulsa – 98
      5.UTSA – 96
      6.East Carolina – 91
      7.Memphis – 84
      8.Temple – 78
      9.UAB – 55
      10.Tulane – 40
      11.Charlotte – 38
      12.Wichita State – 32
      13.Florida Atlantic – 19
      First-place votes in parentheses

Preseason Players of the Year
      Tommisha Lampkin, Gr., F, North Texas
      Romi Levy, R-Sr., F, South Florida

No Shockers were named on the Preseason All-Conference First or Second Teams (10 players total).

Not surprised at all by the Shocks position. They finished 13th last year in a 14-team AAC that included SMU and lost their leading scorer and by far and away their leading rebounder when Daniella Abies transferred to Miami.

A lot of questions to be answered with this year's Shocker team. Will the Shocks be able to keep teams from focusing primarily on shutting down Salese Blow? Will Jayla Murray be able to fill a good chunk of the void created by the departure of Dani Abies? How will the 7 transfers (including 4 jucos) and the 2 freshmen perform? Will any of the other returning Shockers be able to step up their games from last year and provide increased contributions and production? The Shocks only return 37% of their playing time from last year mostly from Jayla Murray, Salese Blow and Ornella Niankan. So the opportunity for playing time is certainly there.

On paper the Shockers appear to have more quality depth this year although they are very small at the guard position perhaps offset some by improved quickness. The have some size in the post but the question is what kind of athleticism and BB ability is attached to that size.

I will be optimistic at this point and say the Shocks could finish a couple spots higher than expectations. Perhaps more if they ace the questions listed above.

Comment

RH: Murray's Meal Plan - WSU Junior Works on Diet , Conditioning

Jayla Murray is powered by salmon, chicken and vegetables, not spicy, cheesy snacks and Wichita State women's basketball coach Terry Nooner sees the difference each time she runs the court.

"She was really monitoring what she was eating," Nooner said. "She did a great of transforming her body."

Murray, a 6-foot junior forward, started her transformation last spring after playing 2023-24 while recovering from a torn ACL in her right knee. After the season, she decided to work tirelessly to regain the form that earned her NJCAA All-American third team honors in 2021-22 at Florida SouthWestern State College.

"Every day – conditioning," she said. "I made it my job to be faster and have the ability I used to have. No days off."

Nooner gave the team a few weeks after last season to rest up. Murray immediately went to work lifting weights and running so she could shed her knee brace. Changing her diet helped immensely. She cut back on fast food and snacks such as Flamin' Hot Cheetos. She kept a food journal and listened to advice from nutritionists.

Before her injury, Murray averaged 14.1 points and 7.2 rebounds as a freshman at Florida SouthWestern. In 2022-23, she played eight games before the injury sidelined her. In her first season at WSU, she started 18 games and averaged 7.1 points and 4.0 rebounds.

"She's more confident," Nooner said. "She could do stuff, and she had good games. It was like she didn't always believe. It probably had a lot to do with that knee."

This season, Murray said she can play more minutes and play at a faster pace. Nooner wants the Shockers to play aggressively, especially on defense, and wear teams down with depth. Murray fits that plan.

"I can keep up," she said. "I was slow, couldn't really run down the floor and get back."

Teammates see the work paying off with improved quickness and agility. Murray, from St. Louis, is working on her jump shot, ball-handling and post moves.

"She is really trying to get back to the type of player she was before," senior center Ella Anciaux said. "In practice, she's pushing the ball up the court. Her game has become a lot more well-rounded, and it's a testament to her hard work."​​

Comment

This just touches on a huge need for all WSU Athletics. Training table.

And I realize it's not cheap. But it's needed and a huge part of athletic success.

Comment

Working...
          X