No announcement yet.

2024-25 Shocker WBB Offseason/Preseason News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Absolutely not trying to be an ass here....but that is real, yes? I mean, that's not a parody video on etiquette I hope....I think that noise I heard was Emily Post rolling over in her grave.

All seriousness though, if Coach is really putting them through that, hats ****ing off to him. Etiquette should be a god damned compulsory class from day one in schools.

I'll buy season tickets just based on that one effort alone.

Comment

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

So the Lady Shock apparently have a couple of games in the Virgin Islands this week (to close out summer practices?). That's a nice little trip. Temps in the high 80's sounds pretty inviting right now especially with the beaches nearby.

I assume Regina, who they play this evening at 5:30 pm CDT, is the University of Regina out of Saskatchewan, Canada. I am guessing there other game will be against the University of the Virgin Islands. I am not expecting these 2 teams will provide much of a challenge for the Shocks so this is perhaps more of a team bonding experience while finishing up the summer with a little R&R.

Comment

"And that's why Regina rhymes with fun"
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

A lot closer than I was expecting. But without being able to see the game it's hard to make any assessments. Looking at the rosters the Shockers did have a pretty significant size advantage in the front court.

Comment

Comment

Comment

I wasn't counting on 6-0, RSo. wing Jordan Jackson to be much, if any, of a factor this year. She transferred last year after 1 year at D-II Texas Women's University (Denton, TX). She sat out last year in her 1st year with the Shockers. That may well have been due to what is going on with her left knee. She still wears a heavy knee brace and I am not sure how sound that knee is or how much it effects her level of play. However, she actually has a pretty nice looking shooting form and perimeter shooting is an area the Shocks have really lacked in recent years. So will see if she can offer in help with that. At 6 foot she might find it a little easier to get her shot off than some of the small shooting guards the Shocks seem to have a plethora of. The question will be what do the give up in other areas.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; 4 weeks ago.

Comment

Any news on the noncon schedule? Can’t find it anywhere
                    Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

Originally posted by Onegreatracer View Post
                      Any news on the noncon schedule? Can’t find it anywhere
                      There isn't much information.

The Shockers are playing OU at home on Tuesday, November 19th. The Shockers lost to the Sooners last year in Norman by a score of 68-92.

https://goshockers.com/news/2024/6/5...och-arena.aspx

The Shockers are also playing in the inaugural Emerald Coast Classic on November 25th and 26th on the campus of Northwest Florida State College. There essentially 2 four team pods in this tournament. The Shockers pod includes Creighton, Missouri and Syracuse. The other pod includes UAB, Clemson, Alabama and Alabama State.

On Monday, November 25th Syracuse plays Missouri at 5 pm (not sure about what time zone that is) and the Shockers face Creighton at 7:30 pm. The two losers will play each other at 5 pm on Tuesday, November 26th and the winners will play each other at 7:30 pm.

https://goshockers.com/news/2024/5/3...ournament.aspx

The Shocks will head to Lawrence to Play KU on Thursday, December 5th.

https://x.com/GoShockersWBB/status/1798852367753826633

So far those are the only games I have seen announced as far as I know. Home vs OU, neutral court vs Creighton and either Missouri or Syracuse, and on the road vs Kansas.

I suspect most of the rest of the schedule be mid-to-low major programs.

I did see something about a home game vs ORU on Friday, December 20th but I am not sure how solid that info is.
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

RH: Podcast with Women's Basketball Coach Terry Nooner

Listen to the podcast Terry

We talk about adding athletic ability and height to the roster and his desire to play faster. We discuss his options to play point guard, Taylor Jameson's energy at practice and Jayla Murray's hard work since last season. Nooner also describes summer activities such as financial literacy training and plans for assistant coach Antwain Scales to teach about car maintenance.Nooner is entering his second season as women's basketball coach at Wichita State. The Shockers went 10-22 last season, ending on a positive note with wins in two of their final three games. The top returners include sophomore guard Salese Blow, who averaged 12. 3 points last season, forward Jayla Murray, who started 18 games.

Comment

Shockers Add Three to Women’s Basketball Staff

Wichita State women's basketball head coach Terry Nooner announced the addition of strength and conditioning coach Jasmine Morris and graduate assistants Shomari Harris and Mandy Willems Friday morning.​

Morris joins the Shockers after spending two years at Florida Atlantic, where she worked with the Owls' women's basketball, volleyball, women's soccer and men's tennis teams, designing sport specific training programs and providing dietary counsel to enhance student-athlete performance. Prior to her time with the Owls, Morris spent time at
                          Morehead State and Florida International along with Barwis Performance Center and GameFace Training. Morris graduated from Nova Southeastern University in 2021 with a bachelor's degree in exercise and sports science and was a member of the Sharks' rowing team.

"Jasmine comes to us from Florida Atlantic with outstanding recommendations," Nooner said. "She's driven by a deep passion for developing young athletes and helping them reach their highest potential. Her commitment to their growth, both on and off the court, aligns perfectly with our program's mission."​

Graduate assistant Shomari Harris comes to Wichita State after serving as assistant women's basketball coach at Kilgore College in Kilgore, Texas. Prior to Kilgore, she played professional basketball from 2018-22 in El Salvador, Greece and Iran. Harris played college basketball for Texas A&M Commerce before transferring to Cal State East Bay, where she tied the Pioneers' single-game three-point field goals record (7).

"Shomari, who has already built an impressive coaching career and played professionally, will be instrumental in guiding our players toward their dreams of playing beyond WSU," Nooner said. "A self-made player with a wealth of global basketball experience, her maturity and insights will be invaluable to our team's success."

Graduate assistant Mandy Willems graduated Magna Cum Laude from the University of Missouri-Kansas City in 2022, where she played basketball for and was mentored by current Wichita State assistant coach Patrick Harrison, setting the Roos' record for three-point field goals made in a half (7) in 2021. Willems served as a volunteer assistant coach for Johnson County Community College women's basketball in 2022-23.

"Mandy, a former First Team JuCo All-American and one of the best shooters in the country, brings a contagious energy and love for the game that's impossible to ignore," Nooner said. "Her championship mentality and winning ways will be felt the moment she steps on campus, and we're thrilled to have her competitive spirit on our side."​

image.png

Comment

Nooner Finalizes Non-Conference Slate

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule
                            Oct. 30 Northeastern State (Exhibition)
                            Nov. 4 Oklahoma Christian
                            Nov. 9 Belmont
                            Nov. 13 Missouri State
                            Nov. 16 St. Thomas
                            Nov. 19 Oklahoma
                            Nov. 25 vs. Creighton (Emerald Coast Classic // Niceville, Fla.)
                            Nov. 26 vs. Missouri/Syracuse (Emerald Coast Classic // Niceville, Fla.)
                            Dec. 2 Prairie View A&M
                            Dec. 5 at Kansas
                            Dec. 8 Western Kentucky
                            Dec. 15 at Loyola Marymount
                            Dec. 17 at Cal State Bakersfield
                            Dec. 21 at Oral Roberts
                            Home games in bold.

A decent mix of games for this program at this point I think.

Comment

Working...
                            X