Coach Welter Aims For Olympics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coach Welter Aims For Olympics

Shocker pole vault coach soars towards her Olympic dream (msn.com)

Wichita State pole vault coach Aliyah Welter is in her first year training collegiate athletes. She is also has her own hopes of competing at the next level.

The young coach is working to qualify for the 2024 Team USA Track and Field Olympic Trials.

“I think it could be realistic goal and if I don’t give myself a chance to try, I think I would always regret it,” she said.

Welter has been an athlete most of her life. She was a level 10 gymnast before picking up a pole in seventh grade. She continues to climb to the top of her sport.

“Very doable for her to make it to the trials. She right now is approaching a mark that will get her to the United States Olympic trials,” said Wichita State head coach Steve Rainbolt.

The 24-year-old graduated from the University of Louisville in 2023 as a five-time All-American pole vaulter. Her college coach Brooke Ransick is what brought Welter to Wichita.

“My coach was a pole vaulter here, and Coach Rainbolt was her head coach,” said Welter, “And [Ransick] still holds the school record outdoors in the pole vault.”

When Ransick found out Wichita State was hiring, she recommended Welter for the position. Now Ransick mentors Welter as a coach, and still trains her virtually as an athlete. Welter has learned to manage her time to train both herself and the team.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Good luck Aliyah. Would that not be a great story and great pub for the Shocker Track and Field team.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; 1 week ago.

Comment

Whoa!
      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Women's pole vaulting is like my 4th favorite sport. And I don't know anything about it!

Comment

Kidding aside, this is fantastic!

Comment

Working...
          X