No announcement yet.

WBB 2023-24 AAC Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UTSA (14-13, 8-8 AAC) at WICHITA STATE (8-20, 4-12 AAC)
    Saturday, March 2, 2024 | 2 p.m. CT
    Wichita, Kan. | Charles Koch Arena
    TV: ESPN+ with Pat Strathman and Tracey Anderson
    Radio: GoShockers.com/Listen with Steve Strain

SCOUTING THE ROADRUNNERS
    > Five Roadrunners are averaging double figures with AAC Preseason All-Conference Second Team selection Jordyn Jenkins leading the way with 14.2 points per game, having played just the last six games. Elyssa Coleman, Kyra White, Aysia Proctor and Sidney Love are also averaging double figures.
    > Coleman is the team's leading rebounder, averaging 7.8 per game and ranking 10th in the conference in rebounds per game.
    > Coleman also ranks second in the conference in blocks per game with 1.6.
    > Kyra White ranks second in the conference in assists with 4.7 per game.
    > The Roadrunners lead the conference in field goal percentage defense (36.3), rebounds per game (45.5) and rebound margin (10.0) and rank second in the conference in blocks per game (4.7).
    > UTSA was picked eighth in the American Athletic Conference preseason poll and currently sits in 10th.

LAST MEETING
    > UTSA ran past Wichita State in the fourth quarter as the Shockers dropped their second-straight conference game, 74-60, in the Convocation Center on Jan. 6, 2024.
    > UTSA's Elyssa Coleman tallied 32 points and 19 rebounds as the Roadrunners picked up their first conference win.
    > UTSA out-rebounded the Shockers 52-40 with 23 offensive rebounds, scoring 24 second-chance points.

You don't see many teams with 5 players sporting double figure scoring averages. The Shocks are playing for pride as they are locked into a bottom 4 finish. It is senior day. The Shocks have 6 seniors: D.J. McCarty, Tre-zure Jobe, Sierra Morrow, Aniya Bell, Jeniah Thompson, and Ambuh Kowcun.

Sierra Morrow did not play in the Shocks last game and I am not sure she was even on the sidelines which might indicate an illnesss. No idea if she will be available today or not.

Comment

The Lady Shocks fell to the Roadrunners 68-61. A poor first half in which Dani Abies only played 8 minutes due to early foul trouble and no Sierra Morrow again (for whatever reason?) resutied in the Shocks trailing by 13 at 21-34. UTSA continued to maintain a double digit lead throughout most of the 3rd quarter and lead by 11 at 61-50 with 2:20 to play. A 6-0 run by Shock led by Salese Blow pulled the Shocks to within 5 at 56-61 with 1 minute left in the game but that was the closet they would come.

Can't fault the Shocks effort. The gave it a good go. I think Sierra would have been very helpful in the game. Ella Anciaux played 26 minutes but she is pretty limited offensively and a bit of a liability on defense but she did grab 6 rebounds and she is a pretty good screener. I have no idea what is going on with Sierra as again she was apparently not in the arena for the 2nd game in a row. No mention of her by the local ESPN+ announcers.

Salese Blow led the Shocks with 18 points but she had only 1 rebound which is just not enough for a 5-11 guard. Dani Abies had 13 points and 7 rebounds but she also had 6 turnovers. DJ McCarty chipped in 12 points, 5 rebounds and 4 assists and Jeniah Thompson added 8 points, 9 rebounds and 4 assists in 22 minutes off play.

I would like to say that Tre'zure just can't seem to get back in the swing of things every since she injured her ankle but in the two games prior to the two games she missed with the ankle injury (that would inlcude the game in which she hurt the ankle and had to leave) she was 1-12 from the field and 2-4 from the line for a total of 4 points in 31 minutes of play. Since she has returned to the lineup she has played in two games and is scoreless missing all 7 of her field goal attempts in 31 minutes of play. She seems to be moving okay. Certainly as well or better than D.J. is getting around.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 2, 2024, 07:35 PM.

Comment

flyingMoose did you stay for the post-game senior day ceremonies.

If so was there any mention of Sierra Morrow has been incognito the past two games?

Comment

We had several errands to run, so, No, I did not.

Comment

Not particularly significant for the Shocker women as they have a bottom 2 finish locked up and will be playing in the first of two play-in rounds on Saturday, March 9th against somebody. Which means the Shockers would have to win 2 play-in games before joining the final 8 teams.

With one game remaining the AAC WBB standings are quite interesting (with final game opponent noted):

1. 3-way tie at 12-5: UNT (vs Memphis), Tulsa (@ Tulane), and Temple (vs FAU) (Double bye locked in)
            4. 6-way tie at 9-8: UAB (vs WSU), USF (@ SMU), Charlotte (vs ECU), Rice (@UTSA), UTSA (vs Rice), and Memphis (@ UNT) - One of these teams will earn a double bye and one might end up as a double play-in team. .
            10. 2-way tie at 8-9: ECU (@ Charlotte) and SMU (vs USF) - One could might be a double play-in team or both could be single play-in teams)
            12. 6-11: FAU (@ Temple) - Locked in as a double play-in team
            13. 4-13 WSU (@ UAB) - Locked in as a double play-in team
            14. 3-14 Tulane (vs Tulane) - Locked in as a double play-in team

I will let WuDrWu work out the possible outcomes and tiebreakers on this one. Good luck Doc.

What is clear is the the AAC is a one-bid WBB conference. Only North Texas at #86 and Temple @ #96 are in the top 100 of the NET.

Even though the AAC is ranked 7th in conference NET rankings this may be their future in the current Transfer/NIL environment as the P-4 + the Big East continue to poach the best players from the teams at and below the AAC's level.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
              We had several errands to run, so, No, I did not.
              I see from these tweets that they did acknowledge Sierra in abstentia:

So not sure what is going on with Sierra but glad they acknowledged her.

Hopefully, Sierra is doing okay with whatever she is having to deal with.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 4, 2024, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  I will let WuDrWu work out the possible outcomes and tiebreakers on this one. Good luck Doc.

That's gonna be a hard pass for me, Dawg.

Comment

WICHITA STATE (8-21, 4-13 AAC) at UAB (18-11, 9-8 AAC)
                    Tuesday, March 5, 2024 | 6 p.m. CT
                    Birmingham, Ala. | Bartow Arena
                    TV: ESPN+
                    Radio: Audacy.com/KFH with Steve Strain

SCOUTING THE BLAZERS
                    > Led by 11th-year head coach Randy Norton, the Blazers are on a three-game losing streak, losing to Tulsa, North Texas and Memphis.
                    > Three Blazers are averaging double figures with Mia Moore leading the way with 15.6 points per game, Denim DeShields averaging 13.2 points per game and Maddie Walsh averaging 10.2.
                    > Moore also leads the team in rebounding with 8.9 per game, leading the conference in double-doubles with 12.
                    > DeShields leads the conference in assists per game, averaging 5.3.
                    > Walsh leads the conference in three-point percentage (45.2).
                    > The Blazers lead the conference in three-point percentage (35.9and rank second in three-point attempts per game (23.3), made threes per game (8.4), scoring offense (72.7), and free throw percentage (76.9).

UAB has the lightning quick guards in Mia Moore and Denim DeShields who gave them fits in the game in Wichita. That said the Shockers had a big rebounding game against UAB in Wichita and too UAB into OT be losing 81-83 behind big games from Dani, Salese and Tre'zure who combined for 62 points, 23 rebounds and 14 assists. No word on whether Sierra Morrow will be available ot play in tonight's game or not.

According to the game preview on goshockers.com the Shocks have locked in the No. 13 seed in the American Athletic Conference tournament and will play a first-round game against 12-seed Florida Atlantic on Saturday, March 9 at 4 p.m. CT on ESPN+.

Comment

The Lady Shocks pulled out 68-65 road win over UAB to close out the regular season.

Wichita State recorded one of its best shooting games of the season making 26-for-57 (.456) from the field include 7-18 938.9%) from three plus 9-for-10 (.900) from the line.

Another double-double for Dani Abies with 21 points and 12 rebounds. Dani should be in line to earn All-Conference honors, perhaps 2nd or 3rd team.

Salese Blow was 4-7 on 3 balls and chipped in 14 points. I would think Salese should be on the AAC All-Freshman Team I would think. Perhaps even a candidate for Freshman of the Year.

Ambuh Kowcun was 2-4 on 3 balls and had her first double figure scoring game of the season with 11 points.

Ella Anciaux contriguted 6 points on 3-5 shooting and grabbed 6 rebounds. Jayla Murray only managed to score 4 points but she did secure 7 rebounds.

Sierra Morrow did not play for the 3rd consecutive game.

From what I understand this game had no impact on the Shockers' seeding for the AAC Tournament.
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 6, 2024, 03:01 PM.

Comment

The Shockers got off to a terrible start in this game trailing by 15 at 33-18 with 3:30 remaining in the 1st half shooting poorly and with terrible ball security. Dani scored the final 7 points of the half with UAB going scoreless and the Shocks closed to with 8 at 25-33 at the half. UAB still led by 8 points with 2:45 left in the 3rd quarter but the Shocks scored the final 4 points of the quarter to close to 4 at 43-47. The Shocks tied the game up at 50-all with 7 minutes to play. The game was still tied at 64-all width 1:30 to play but the Shocks were able to pull out the win at 68-65. UAB did manage to get off 2 three point shots in the final 5 seconds but missed them both.

Generally, I thought it was a pretty ugly game by both teams. Perhaps that is a function of the matchup of a perimeter oriented team vs an inside oriented team.
                        Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 6, 2024, 11:44 AM.

Comment

One interesting comment by the UAB ESPN+ announcers late in the game was that the Shocker bench was much more animated and energized than the UAB bench.

Considering the season the Shocks have had that is a somewhat subtle thing but also somewhat positive.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 6, 2024, 03:04 PM.

Comment

I caught just the end of the game and I noticed that too....for whatever reason, Coach Nooner has maintained a positive atmosphere and that's commendable, especially in the face of a very tough season.

Comment

4. 6-way tie at 9-8: UAB (vs WSU), USF (@ SMU), Charlotte (vs ECU), Rice (@UTSA), UTSA (vs Rice), and Memphis (@ UNT) - One of these teams will earn a double bye and one might end up as a double play-in team.
                              USF and UTSA finished tied for 4th at 10-8 with the other 4 teams losing on Tuesday. UTSA won the one head-to-head game with USF so I assume the will get the double bye along with Tulsa, North Texas and Temple.

4. 6-way tie at 9-8: UAB (vs WSU), USF (@ SMU), Charlotte (vs ECU), Rice (@UTSA), UTSA (vs Rice), and Memphis (@ UNT) - One of these teams will earn a double bye and one might end up as a double play-in team. .
                              10. 2-way tie at 8-9: ECU (@ Charlotte) and SMU (vs USF) - One could might be a double play-in team or both could be single play-in teams)
                              12. 6-11: FAU (@ Temple) - Locked in as a double play-in team
                              13. 4-13 WSU (@ UAB) - Locked in as a double play-in team
                              14. 3-14 Tulane (vs Tulane) - Locked in as a double play-in team
                              With UTSA getting the double bye USF will join the 5 teams that tied for 6th (UAB, ECU, Charlotte, Rice, and Memphis) as the single play-in teams. The AAC can figure out the seeding of this group.

With SMU losing to USF they will join FAU, Wichita State and Tulane as the double play-in teams.

One game remaining tonight with FAU at Temple but that might effect the top 3 seeding but probably nothing else.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                                I caught just the end of the game and I noticed that too....for whatever reason, Coach Nooner has maintained a positive atmosphere and that's commendable, especially in the face of a very tough season.
                                This game was meaningless as far as the Shocks seeding in the AAC Tournament was concerned. But UAB theoretically still had a shot a a double-bye making this perhaps even more surprising.

Comment

Working...
                                X