WBB: 2023-24 Non-Conference Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

I did read (right or wrong) that this is more middle school than elementary school attendance which helps with the screeching.
    Plus they only brought in around 2,500 I think. Attendance was reported at 2,835.

I think the last Schoolhouse Screechfest game was in the pre-covid season of 2018-19 when they had 7.356 in attendance. In the 6 previous to the 2018-19 season this game had average attendance of around 9,500. Elementary school students I believe.

So this year's event was much tamer with a little older kids (middle school) some of whom might have even watched some of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Plus they only brought in around 2,500 I think. Attendance was reported at 2,835.

I think the last Schoolhouse Screechfest game was in the pre-covid season of 2018-19 when they had 7.356 in attendance. In the 6 previous to the 2018-19 season this game had average attendance of around 9,500. Elementary school students I believe.

So this year's event was much tamer with a little older kids (middle school) some of whom might have even watched some of the game.
      I know it's just your (always great) added information, but God help us if Covid is still being considered when attending Schoolhouse Rocks games for crying out loud.

Public school in general is bad enough already.....

Comment

Comment

WBB Preview: at Belmont (Nov. 15)

WICHITA STATE at BELMONT
          Wednesday, Nov. 15 | 6:30 p.m. CT
          Nashville, Tenn. | Curb Event Center

TV: ESPN+ (Rich Tiner & Hannah Harmeyer)
          Radio: Audacy.com/KFH with Steve Strain

SCOUTING THE BRUINS
          Belmont is coming off a 76-50 win over receiving votes Georgia in its home opener despite outrebounding Georgia 42-33, after dropping its first game to Missouri, 61-72.

Junior Kendal Cheesman leads the Bruins in scoring, averaging 16.5 points per game through the first two contests. She recorded a career-high 28 points in the game against Georgia and junior Tessa Miller tallied her fifth career double-double with 17 points and 11 rebounds.

Belmont is picked to finish 4th in the MVC this year in the preseason poll of the Valley coaches, SID's and media. The did receive 1 first place vote.

This game is perhaps the best barometer of how the Lady Shocks might fare this year. OU followed up their 92-68 home win over the Shocks with an 80-70 win on the road at #12 Ole Miss. OTOH, the Shocks win over Presbyterian by 60-41 did tell us much as Presbyterian looks to be pretty week. So OU perhaps a little too hot and Presbyterian a little cold.

Belmont should be just about right for the Shocks as a measuring stick. I see Belmont as a solid favorite to win this game on their home court but it will be interesting to see if the Shocks can be competitive or possibly even pull off an upset, which is possible.

HCTN said on his radio show the DJ McCarty is okay and is good to go. That was good to hear although she has not be close to full speed in the Shocks previous games.

Comment

Shocks down 41-36 at the half despite being out shot 51% to 41% and outrebounded 22-15. However, the Shocks have only turned it over 4 times to 9 for Belmont.

The Shocks closed to 61-64 with about 5 minutes remaining but Belmont puiled away to a 75-67 win largely fueled by a big advantage at the free throw line.

Belmont was 20-24 from the line while the Shocks were 6-8.

Comment

Home cookin’

Comment

Originally posted by Rize Ballz View Post
                Home cookin’
                Not really. Belmont was the better team. Bigger than the Shocks pretty much at every position and their ball and player movement on offense was superior to the Shocks. The Shocks played a switching man-to-man defense most of the game and Belmont often had mismatches in their favor with ether our littles guarding their bigs or our "bigs" trying stay with their more athletic guards.

Tre'zure with 16 points and D.J. with 13 led the Shocks in scoring but they took 34 shots to score those 29 points. D.J. is stll not close to be 100% with that left knee and she aggravated it again a couple of times in the 2nd half. Not sure that is going to get better if she continues to play on it. For some reason Jeniah Thompson did not play in this game.

I thought Dani was the best player on the court for the Shocks. She was 4-5 from the field and 3-4 from the line for 11 points and had 8 rebounds while battling bigger players

Not seeing anything to think this year be anything to get too excited about. Just don't have enough size or skill. One of their most athletic and skilled players, DJ is hobbling her way through the season so far and that may continue.

This year's and next year' recruiting classes will be key for HCTN if he is going to get this program moving in the right direction. At this point I only see 4 to 5 players, assuming they return next year who can be serviceable players -- Salese Blow, Dani Abies, Jayla Murray, Sierra Morrow and possibly Raissa Nsabua.

So far HCTN has signed 3 smallish guards for next year. 5-5 PG Kiyleyah Parr, a high school recruit, and 2 Juco guards, 5-6 Kyleigh Ortiz our of Cowley CC and 5-7 Princess Anderson out of Pratt. I think he has at least 3 more scholarships available for next year which he may well be holding back to try to find some talent from the transfer portal. Looks like he will have at least 4 more scholarships available at the end of next season.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 15, 2023, 11:22 PM.

Comment

WBB Preview: vs. Omaha (Nov. 20)

OMAHA (1-3) vs. WICHITA STATE (1-2)
                  Monday, Nov. 20 | 6:00 p.m.
                  Wichita, Kan. | Charles Koch Arena

TV: ESPN+ (Shane Dennis and Tracey Anderson)
                  Radio: GoShockers.com/Listen with Steve Strain

SCOUTING OMAHA
                  • Omaha (1-3) has lost to Illinois State (59-105), Northwestern (69-87), and Northern Colorado (70-82). The Mavs only win was 89-59 over College of St. Mary, an NAIA school in Omaha.
                  • Three Mavericks scored in double digits in the last outing with Grace Cave pacing the team with 19 points.
                  • Through the first four games of the season, Lucy Ghaigan and Katie Keitges are averaging a team-high 9.5 points per game.
                  • Cora Olsen is the team's leading rebounder, averaging 5 rebounds per game.
                  • Omaha was picked sixth of nine teams in the Summit League preseason poll.

This is a game the Shocks can and probably should win.

Comment

This is a game the Shocks can and probably should win.
                    Shocks trail 41-44 at the half. Providing more evidence, as if any is needed, that I don't know what I am talking about. Hopefully, the Shocks will make be look better in the 2nd half.

Comment

Shocks trail 41-44 at the half. Providing more evidence, as if any is needed, that I don't know what I am talking about. Hopefully, the Shocks will make be look better in the 2nd half.
                      You were just having a positive outlook.

Comment

If the you had told me the Shocks were going to give up 86 to Omsha I would not have very optimistic about their chances in this game but the Shosks were able to come away with a 92-86 win.

Sounds like an entertaining game although both teams combined to shoot 70 free throws both making about 60% of them.

But a win is a win.

Comment

We must lead the nation in negative free throw disparity….and I am not blaming the refs.

Comment

WBB Preview: vs. Akron (Nov. 24)

WICHITA STATE (2-2) vs. AKRON (1-2)
                            Daytona Beach Classic
                            Friday, Nov. 24, 2023 | 11 a.m. ET/10 a.m. CT
                            Daytona Beach, Fla. | Daytona Beach Ocean Center
                            TV: FloHoops
                            Radio: Audacy.com/KFH with Steve Strain

SCOUTING AKRON
                            • Led by first-year head coach Ryan Gensler, Akron (1-2) lost at home to Oakland 87-91 in double OT and at Southern Miss 60-77 befroe defeating Robert Morris on the road 63-58 in overtime.
                            • Two Zips are averaging double-digit scoring with Reagan Bass leading the team with 20.3 points per game, while Morgan Haney is averaging 13.
                            • Bass was named the Mid-American Conference Player of the Week for the second-straight week after putting up 22 points and 19 rebounds against Robert Morris.
                            • The Zips lead their conference in rebounding (43 rpg).
                            • Haney ties for the national lead in free-throw percentage, hitting all eight attempts from the charity stripe.
                            • Akron was picked 6th of 12 teams in the MAC preseason poll.

Looks liike the Zips will have a size advantage in this match-up. Not sure what expect in this game.

Comment

Tre'zure Jobe, DJ McCarty and Salese Blow have a total of 3 points in the firsrt half on 1-18 shooting against the bigger Akron team YET the Shocks lead 34-19 at the half. Dani Abies, Jayla Murray, Ornella Niankan and Jeniah Thompson have stepped up to combined for 31 points on 11-14 (2-3) from the field and 8-10 from the line with Dani grabbing 8 rebounds.

The Shocks hang on to their 15 point lead at the end of the 3rd quarter at 45-30. However, the Shocks have somewhat impoded in the 4th quarter but are able to hold on for a 63-61.

It was a win but doesn't feel like a win. Akron played very poorlly for 3 quarters and still almost won the game.

Pretty solid games for Dani, Jayla, Ornella and Jeniah combining to score 49 of the Shocks 63 points on 17-24 (3-4) however, they only managed 12-20 from the line including 5-12 in the second half. Dani lead the Shocks with 18 points and 11 rebounds. However, Dani fouled out with 3:42 to play in the game. Jeniah Thompson had probably her best game as a Shocker and was the only guard who played well. She had 11 points on 4-6 (3-4) from the field, 2 rebounds, 1 assist and no turnovers in 19 minutes off the bench.

However, the rest of the Shocks were a dismal 3-31 (0-9) from the field and 8-14 from the line. I didn't watch the game so hard to tell if this was bad shooting, bad/forced shot selecltion, player hunting their stats or a combinatdion of the that. Kind of glad I didn't see that.

Overall Akron outshot the Shocks 46% to 36% from the field and 60% to 59% from the line. Rebounds were 35-34 in favor of the Shocks but Akron had 25 turnovers to 19 for the Shocks.

Jury still out on this team for me.
                              Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 24, 2023, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Damn it....poor start to the 4th period. Akron on a 9-1 run and WSU takes a timeout still 7 plus minutes left in the game. Shocks are going to have to find something....getting the ball to Dani would be a good idea.

Shox hang on by 2.

It's amazing some people have jobs #Witchita

Comment

Working...
                                X