Shocker Bowling at National Tournament in Vegas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker Bowling at National Tournament in Vegas

WSU - Wichitans help power Shocker bowling to national tournament in Las Vegas

Wichita State’s bowling teams are in Las Vegas this week for the United States Bowling Congress Intercollegiate Singles and Team Championships at South Point Bowling Plaza. Team play begins Thursday with the singles and team finals on Saturday.The taped televised finals will air at 6 p.m. on April 25, May 2, 9 and 16 on CBS Sports Network.

The Shockers finished second in both the men’s and women’s competition in 2022 after winning both titles in 2021.

With Bonta and others, Wichita State’s select team boasts a local contingent not found on rosters since the program’s early days. Bonta, from Wichita Northwest High School, is on the men’s eight-person team competing this week. Haysville Campus High’s Piper Reams, a sophomore majoring in business administration, will bowl for the seven-person women’s team.

Additionally, the 22-person selected team that serves as Wichita State’s varsity program features junior Brandon Collins, a finance major; freshman Samuel Calderon, majoring in mechanical engineering and French; and Chloe Ciecko, a junior majoring in game design — all from Wichita. Freshman Paige Wagner, majoring in pre-physical therapy, is from Great Bend.

The 1975 women’s team that won the first ITC title consisted entirely of Wichitans. Over the next decade, the program’s reach expanded nationally and internationally. The current roster includes students from Pereira, Colombia; Myrtle Beach, South Carolina; Terre Haute, Indiana; and Dublin, Ohio.

“The history of the program has been built on Wichita players,” said Mark Lewis, director of Shocker bowling. “It’s grown over time to where they’re from all over the place.”
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

“WSU women produce the singles national title winner.”

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Absolutely crazy semi final for Paige Wagner from WSU.

Barely up in the 9th, she leaves a 2-4-10 split (not impossible at all but under the gun, really, really tough, especially for a righty). She nails it and so she's now down 3 going to the 10th.

Paige goes XX9 to put the heat on her opponent, but turns out she fouled so it's XX-. Her opponent only needs 9 spare 9 to win, or strike +9 to win. She hits the pocket but leaves the 7 and absolutely Yoko Ono's the spare, yanking it into the channel for the loss. Crazy!

Comment

A couple of months prior the above tournament the Shockers competed in the 2023 PBA Collegiate Championship.

https://snieronbowling.com/2023/01/1...te%20Champions hips%20will%20take%20place,Team%20Ranking%20System %20as%20of%20Dec.%2026%2C%202022.

Interesting how many of the guys in particular use the two-handed, no thumb style these days. However, I don't believe any of the ladies used this style.

I don't follow bowling very closely. Is it making inroads in the PBA?
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 31, 2023, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          Interesting how many of the guys in particular use the two-handed, no thumb style these days. However, I don't believe any of the ladies used this style.

I don't follow bowling very closely. Is it making inroads in the PBA?
          Yep. A lot of pros use that technique. It seems to bring in more variables than a traditional delivery, but what do I know?

Without looking it up (and I'm not about to) I'd speculate 20% of the top 50 use that delivery.

If I remember correctly, Chris Barnes' son is on the WSU team (Chris being a WSU alum, National Champion, All American, multiple Major winner and PBA HOF member in addition to still being more than competitive today) and he uses the 2 handed delivery.

Chris has such an effortless and timeless, simple delivery, it breaks my heart to see his son deviate from that, but since he does, I can only surmise that it's a superior technique.

Comment

Yes, Ryan Barnes was rolling 3rd for the Shocks in this event and does use the two-handed thumbless style. Chris was also in attendance and got a couple of mentions.

Comment

Chris is one of the greats. Uber talented, was a star basketball player in high school and is an outstanding golfer as well and the guy has one of the sharpest and driest wit you will ever see. Tremendous sense of humor. He's on any list I'm making of favorite Shocker athletes.

Comment

The two handed delivery allows you to get more revs on the spin, and thus a bigger hook. Hitting the pocket at a sharper angle mixes the pins better. Also can get more ball speed. Two handed is also actually easier on the body, as the traditional delivery puts a lot of strain on the delivery arm. But it takes a lot of practice to refine accuracy with the two handed technique. So like with most things, its a risk/reward decision.
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
                  The two handed delivery allows you to get more revs on the spin, and thus a bigger hook. Hitting the pocket at a sharper angle mixes the pins better. Also can get more ball speed. Two handed is also actually easier on the body, as the traditional delivery puts a lot of strain on the delivery arm. But it takes a lot of practice to refine accuracy with the two handed technique. So like with most things, its a risk/reward decision.
                  Looks to me like it would definitely be easier on the delivery arm. But perhaps a bit hard over time on the back. Time will tell on that.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Looks to me like it would definitely be easier on the delivery arm. But perhaps a bit hard over time on the back. Time will tell on that.
                    I think if I tried the two handed delivery I would face plant.
                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post

I think if I tried the two handed delivery I would face plant.
                      I know I would.

Comment

Pro tip: Never decide to imbibe a little more than you probably should and then decide to side-foot pass a bowling ball down the lane to show off your mad soccer skills, otherwise go ahead and kiss your medial malleolus goodbye for awhile.
                        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                        X