No announcement yet.

The Next Head Coach of Wichita State WBB - Welcome Coach Nooner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nooner's 'memorandum of understanding' can be found here - https://www.wichita.edu/about/public..._contracts.php
    Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

Wichita native Antwain Scales among assistants hired by Shocker women’s basketball coach

Coach Nooner on Antwain Scales:

“Antwain Scales, or as I like to refer, ‘Mr. Wichita,’ is a staple in the Wichita community,” Nooner said in a statement. “A natural leader and former USA Today High School Coach of the Year, Antwain brings a winning attitude to a city he loves so much. An elite recruiter with deep ties in Kansas and the region, I couldn’t be more excited to bring Antwain home and make him a vital part of our program moving forward.”
      Coach Nooner on Nick Bradford:

"As a former teammate of mine and fellow captain at KU, I know the work ethic and commitment Nick Bradford will bring daily to continue building upon the success of Shocker women’s basketball,” Nooner said in the statement. “Nick has coached some of the top players in the country as an AAU Coach with the Missouri Phenom, where he developed high-caliber players and has formed great relationships with many players and programs across the Midwest region. His vast connections and deep knowledge of the game will be valuable as we build the Wichita State Women’s Basketball program.”
      Coach Nooner on Brooke Costley:

“As a Missouri native, Brooke Costley is uniquely suited to help our basketball program by bringing to our staff excellent Division I coaching experience and direct ties to the region,” Nooner said in the statement. “Her energy, knowledge of the area and ability to connect with young women all over the country will make her a great asset to the Wichita community.”

I am a little concerned about the relative inexperience of this staff but hopefully what they lack in experience they make up in energy and enthusiasm.

Clearly, as ADKS alluded to in Coach Nooner's introductory presser, the focus of recruiting will change significantly from what we saw under Keitha Adams, with an emphasis on recruiting players from the Midwest. Now all they have to do is find and successfully recruit the next Jackie Stiles. Keitha Adam's heavy reliance on international recruits did not work out real well overall but there were a few successes. Whether or not the change in recruiting focus will yield dividends remains to be seen. The execution of the strategy is probably as important, if not more so, than the strategy itself.

Comment

There will never be another Jackie Stiles. Any man crush Ref had on Graham Hatch pales in comparison to my love for Jackie.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
          There will never be another Jackie Stiles. Any man crush Ref had on Graham Hatch pales in comparison to my love for Jackie.
          I saw her in high school. She dropped 25 of us…in the first quarter, finishing with 55.

Because of our changing society, I don’t think Jackie would be such a spectacle today. Certainly in basketball circles, she would still be highly thought of. But I can’t imagine a future high school player who would single-handedly pack high school gymnasiums like Jackie did.

Best comparison I could make is Dean Wade. He wasn’t as highly rated nationally, but he was a small-town Kansas kid who was going to K-State, so local interest would have been there. But it doesn’t seem like there was. Definitely not to Jackie’s level.

(Ron Baker is a different since he was not highly-recruited coming out of high school.)
          78-65

Comment

Say Hey to Your 2023-24 Shocker Basketball Teams! (goshockers.com)
            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Go Shockers - RH: Podcast with Terry Nooner on Shocker Basketball

Listen to the podcast

Women's basketball coach Terry Nooner joins the podcast to discuss his early months on the job, building a roster and bowling with the Shockers. We talk about returner DJ McCarty and return from the transfer portal and why incoming freshman Salese Blow stuck with the Shockers and showed up for summer workouts in a great condition.

We go over the epic 1995 high school playoff game he played in at Raytown High, best shooters on the coaching staff and the aspirational office decoration that he looks at every day.Nooner was hired in April after serving as associate head coach at Kansas.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Go Shockers - RH: Podcast With Antwain Scales On Shocker Basketball

Listen to the podcast

Wichita State women's basketball assistant coach Antwain Scales talks about his return to Wichita, how a challenge from a youth basketball coach pushed him into the profession and his desire to improve the Shockers. We discuss newcomer Tre'Zure Jobe and their long relationship. We also reminisce about City League basketball, Lynette Woodard and his hobby rebuilding Chevrolets.

Scales spent the three previous seasons as women's head coach at Garden City Community College. Wichita basketball fans will remember him as the girls coach at South High School, where he won four straight Class 6A titles from 2013-2016.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I think the Women’s team are in great hands based on the interviews with the coaches. They seem like very solid people who will help their players on and off the court. I need to see the team play the season. I don’t usually go to the women’s game since I live in Topeka but I intend to support them. I’m glad we have Kansas natives in charge. I think the AD made a great hire.

Comment

Originally posted by WeWillShockU2 View Post
                    I think the Women’s team are in great hands based on the interviews with the coaches. They seem like very solid people who will help their players on and off the court. I need to see the team play the season. I don’t usually go to the women’s game since I live in Topeka but I intend to support them. I’m glad we have Kansas natives in charge. I think the AD made a great hire.
                    I agree that both the interviews of Coach Nooner and Coach Scales were very good and both seem like top notch people. But, while you want top notch people at the helm, that in and of itself does does not assure success. I do think that Keitha Adams and her staff were also top notch people.

Only time will tell if this staff can get the job done.

Comment

RH: Podcast With Brooke Costley, Nick Bradford On Shocker Basketball

Listen to the podcast

Wichita State women's basketball assistant coaches Brooke Costley and Nick Bradford update fans on summer workouts, team building and bowling.

We discuss Costley's journey from NCAA Division II athlete to Wichita State and her hobby as an artist. Bradford talks about his long friendship with coach Terry Nooner and how he learned to root for the Kansas City Chiefs and leave behind the Dallas Cowboys.

Costley played at Emporia State and comes to Wichita State after coaching at Texas A&M Commerce, North Dakota State and Emporia State.

Bradford previously worked as the associate head coach for the boys basketball team at Fayetteville (Ark.) High School and coached girls for the Missouri Phenom AAU/EYBL program. He played at Kansas with Nooner and also coached at Labette Community College and Missouri Southern.

Comment

Comment

Go Shockers - Nooner to Hold Elite Basketball Camp, Aug. 2

Registration is open for Terry Nooner's Elite Basketball Camp at terrynoonerbasketball.totalcamps.com.

Nooner's camp is set for Wednesday, Aug. 2, 2023 at Wichita State's Charles Koch Arena and provides incoming 8th-12th graders an opportunity to enhance their skills in the areas of shooting, passing and ball handling while competing in game situations.

"There are few things I enjoy more in this profession than sharing the love of basketball with the next generation of athletes," Nooner said. "I've seen firsthand how basketball can impact a young person's life, and our staff is so excited to influence our community with our shared passion for the game. With a positive, engaging camp, we aim to help these athletes take the next steps in their growth, on and off the court."

The one-day camp will run from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and is open to all entrants (limited only by number and age, grade level, and/or gender).

For more information or to register, click here.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by WeWillShockU2 View Post
                              Most of the WBB games are on ESPN+ if you have a subscription or want to buy a subscription. That is in addition to most of the volleyball, baseball and softball games plus many of the men's basketball games.

Comment

Working...
                              X