No announcement yet.

Adams returning to UTEP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at this list of "30 Under 30" put out by the WBCA (Women's Basketball Coaches Association), one named looked interesting to me:

Abby Jump - Associate HC of Memphis

Young, Hungry, Respected, Knows the conference.

If they wanted to take the chance on a young up-and-comer, she's a name to keep and eye on.
    The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

We've missed that boat, and too bad. She has a very bright future.
      I agree, that is not going to happen. Even if she was still at Kansas City I'm not sure she would have an interest in the WSU job.

I would not be surprised if HCKA will take a bunch of players with her to UTEP, especially her foreign players and recruits, including her incoming recruiting class.

Whoever ADKS brings in to replace HCKA I anticipate they will be in the same boat that the Memphis 1st year softball coach finds herself in this year. It will be a late hire to start with and, in any case, rebuilding a WBB team through the portal is not nearly as easy as it can be for MBB.

With the lack of success and tradition, lack of fan support, and possible lack of players in the cupboard I don't see the WSU job being all that attractive and will take some time to stabilize and turn around.

I would be somewhat surprised, although not totally surprised, if ADKS goes the D-II route to see if he can find a Kristi Bredbenner.

At least this doesn't involve much, if any, financial impact and I don't think the fan base could be much more disinterested than they already are.

Comment

An experienced option that is well respected as an X's and O's guy, but hasn't made a jump to a bigger school is Karl Smesko of FGCU.

He's dominated at that school, much like Marshall dominated at Winthrop.

Maybe Saal can pull the same magic on Smesko that Schaus pulled on Marshall.

The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
          Looking at this list of "30 Under 30" put out by the WBCA (Women's Basketball Coaches Association), one named looked interesting to me:

Abby Jump - Associate HC of Memphis

Young, Hungry, Respected, Knows the conference.

If they wanted to take the chance on a young up-and-comer, she's a name to keep and eye on.
          That may be what they have to do. But I think the one thing we can count on is that ADKS will do a thorough search. What kind of financial flexibility he has in offering compensation is uncertain.

Comment

Thank God.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

A swing for the fences hire would be Lindy La Rocque at UNLV

Played and was an AC at Stanford under Tara VanDerveer.

Her first two years have been great at UNLV an she will likely be ready for a big time job soon, possibly Stanford once Tara retires.
              The Assman

Comment

Aaron Johnston at SDSU would be inteseting as well

The Assman

Comment

Well if ADKS was looking for a athletic department to lead in which he would have an immediate opportunity to make his mark he has found one.

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

I do too. Keitha was too much Keith Davenport and not enough General Savage.

Extra points if you know the WSU business professor who had his students watch this movie in his class.
                    Graham?

Comment

Originally posted by mattdalt View Post

Graham?

Twelve O'Clock High is one of the few classroom movies that has stayed with me to this day.
                      "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Wait .. .coaches can go away AND we get money?

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Wait .. .coaches can go away AND we get money?
                          Thos is a win win it appears. Finally a coaching vacancy that doesn't cost millions.

Comment

I think the right coach could build a good following for women’s basketball at WSU.

Just needs the mix of the right: vision, personality, and moxie.
                            The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                              I think the right coach could build a good following for women’s basketball at WSU.

Just needs the mix of the right: vision, personality, and moxie.
                              I mean we even have an NIL program dedicated to women's sports alone now.

Comment

80-93 and around 20 of those wins were against SWAC/MEAC level buy games. 37-66 (.359) in AAC games (including AAC Tournament games). 1 post season appearance in this year's WNIT that ended with a 56-90 loss to K-State in a game that was not as "close" as that score indicates.

For whatever reason, it just didn't happen for Keitha at Wichita State. She seems like a very nice person and I'm sure she gave it her best effort but for whatever reason, it was just not happening for her at Wichita State. Unfortunately, that is relatively common refrain for Wichita State WBB coaches with the possible exception of Jody Adams whose teams from the 2011-12 season through the 2014-15 went 99-35 including the Shockers only post-season win in the 2012 WNIT followed by 3 consecutive appearances in the NCAA Tournament behind probably the best player in Shocker WBB history, Alex Harden. Excluding those 4 years the Shockers All-Time record is 533-691 (.436). So the bar is not seemingly set terribly high but there seems to be some head winds that make it tough to clear.

Comment

Working...
                                X