No announcement yet.

WBB 2002-23 AAC Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A poorly worded description of just fishing or short for fishing in the other guy's pond. Making calls that are not in your zone, or being overly officious.

There was one that was so bad, had it been a guy's game and say Higgy was the "lead" and the C official called that foul, Higgy probably would have stopped the game, gone to the monitor and used the break to eviscerate the other official and tell him never ******* do that again.

Comment

Wichita State (11-4, 1-1) vs. RV/RV South Florida (13-4, 2-0)
      Saturday, Jan. 7, 2023 | 2:00 PM CT | Charles Koch Arena
      ESPN+ | GoShockers.com/Listen | ShockerStats.com

Wichita Eagle Family Day - Purchase 4 or more adult tickets and receive vouchers for 4 hot dogs, 4 sodas and 4 bags of popcorn for only $32.
      Scout Day - First 100 scouts in uniform receive a scout badge.

SCOUTING THE BULLS
      Led by 23rd year head coach Jose Fernandez, South Florida enters Saturday's matchup at 13-4 this season and 2-0 in American play. The Bulls are receiving votes in both the AP and Coaches Polls and own wins over ranked opponents, Texas and Arkansas. Each of their four losses have come to ranked teams as well. South Florida boasts one of the top rebounding teams in the country behind double-double threat Dulcy Fankam Mendjiadeu, a 6-4 R-Sr. She averages a double-double at 16.9 points and 12.1 rebounds per game. Elena Tsineke, a 5-7 Sr guard, pours in a team-high 17.7 points on 43.3 percent shooting from beyond the arc. Sammie Puisis, a 6-1 Jr. guard, leads the nation in 3-point attempts and ranks second in 3-pointers made to go with 15.6 points.

USF appears to be the class of the AAC this year perhaps by a fairly wide margin. The Shockers did play USF very tough in both games last year losing to USF 57-61 in Tampa and 46-47 in Wichita over a span of 3 days in late February. The game in Tampa had initially been schedule for January 9th was postponed due to health and safety protocols in the Shocker program. Today's game is the only scheduled meeting between the 2 teams this year.

USF's top 3 players mentioned in the scouting report above average 32 to 35 minutes per game. The other 2 starters, A 4th starter, 5-11 Fr. Carla Brito (8.8 PPG) and 5-10 R-Jr Aerial Wilson (1.6 PPG), average 27 and 26 minutes per game respectively.

I think the 5-7 Tsineke is the point guard as she averages 3.2 assists per game but she has tunred it over 3.3 times per game. The 5-10 Wilson doesn't score much but averages 3.9 assist per game vs 1.8 turnoves per game for a 2.4 assist to turnover ratio.

One area where the Shockers and Bulls are comparble is that both carry 8 foreign players on their rosters. In USF's case it is 8 out of 13 and in the Shockers case it is 8 of 15. However, the Shocks only start 1 foreign born player while the Bulls start 3.

USF is probably much more battle hardened than are the Shocks. USF's non con schedule included Alabama, TCU, Georgia Tech, Michigan, Villanova, Texas, NC State, Ohio State and Arkansas with 6 of those 9 teams ranked or receiving votes at the time they played them. USF was 5-4 in those 9 games. The only comparable non-con games for the Shocks were KU and perhaps Wyoming both of which where losses for the Shocks.

Not expecting a win today but would like to see a well-played game from the Shocks especially after a poor finish last time out in the loss to Tulsa.

Comment

Shocks trail 10-14 after the 1st quarter but are playing quite well, especially on defense. Refs calling it close. Trajata has 2 fouls and the starting and backup centers for USF both have 2 fouls.

I like the way the Shockers are playing. Jane had a really good 1st quarter.

The Shocks continue to play very well in Quarter 2 and USF needed a 26-foot 3-pointer at the buzzer to take a 31-30 lead into the locker room.

If you like very tightly called game you would lover this game. The Shocks have 5 players with 2 fouls and the USF has its starting center with 2 fouls and its backup center with 4 fouls plus 3 fouls on its leading scorer.

DJ went down with about 13 minutes left in the half with an ankle injury with Trajata already on the bench with 2 fouls.

Jane has been the best player on the floor with 15 points on 7-9 shooting including her first 3-pointer of the year. Daniela Abies did a really good job filling in for Trajata drawing most of the 4 fouls on the USF backup center and while scoring 6 points. Jeniah Thompson also contributed 4 points hitting 2 of 3 shots late in the half.

Shocker offense is moving and sharing the ball quite well and their man-to-man team defense is quite good as well.

The Shock have a shot at this one.

DJ back in the lineup for the Shock to open the 2nd half.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 7, 2023, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          Shocks trail 10-14 after the 1st quarter but are playing quite well, especially on defense. Refs calling it close. Trajata has 2 fouls and the starting and backup centers for USF both have 2 fouls.

I like the way the Shockers are playing. Jane had a really good 1st quarter.
          They have improved a lot this season. Encouraging bench play too with Colbert now out with an injury.

USF's backup post picked up 4 fouls. Their FSU transfer (blondie) killed us including a prayer 3 to end the half and give the Bulls a 31-30 lead. Game is being tightly called.

WSU playing hard, and that works every time. USF has the best basketball player on the court, by far, but WSU is battling.

Comment

25-6 run by the Bulls in Q3 and this one is ohvah.

Comment

USF buries the Shocks with a 25-6 blitz in the 3rd quarter making 10-13 shots off of 8 assists including 3-4 on 3 pointers. The Shocks could not respond plus turned it over 6 times.

Comment

USF buries the Shocks with a 25-6 blitz in the 3rd quarter making 10-13 shots off of 8 assists including 3-4 on 3 pointers. The Shocks could not respond plus turned it over 6 times.
                Seemed like 16.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Seemed like 16.
                  Well 16 points was all the Shocks could muster in the 2nd half as they only hit 6-28 shots from the field and 4-4 from the line while turning it over 12 times.

OTOH USF put up 38 points on 13-27 from the field and 8-10 from the line including 3-4 free shots on back-to-back T's on HCKA who felt the officials had swallwed their whistles after calling things extremely tight in the 1st half. At that point though the game was pretty much over.

Final score: USF 69 - WSU 46.

I agree with WuDrWu that the team has improved as the year has progressed. And their were some positives in this game as well. Daniela Abies certainly put in a bid for more playing time although she did most of her damage against a not-so-good back up center for USF.

One good thing is they are done with USF this year unless they meet again in the AAC Tournament. They should be able to stay with just about anyone esle in the AAC.

Comment

Other AAC games Fri->Sun

SMU 51-80 Memphis

Tulsa 80-75 UCF

Temple 77-73 Cincinnati

Tulane 53-63 East Carolina
                    Last edited by flyingMoose; January 8, 2023, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Wichita State (11-5, 1-2) at Tulane (10-6, 0-3)
                      Wednesday, Jan. 11, 2023 | 6:00 PM CT | Devlin Fieldhouse
                      ESPN+ | KFH 97.5 FM/1240 AM | ShockerStats.com

SCOUTING THE GREEN WAVE
                      Led by 29th year head coach Lisa Stockton, Tulane enters Wednesday's matchup at 10-6 this season and 0-3 in American play. The Green Wave average 73.6 points per game on a league-leading 17.0 assists, and shoot just under 45 percent from the field. Marta Galic leads Tulane in scoring (13.8) and rebounding (7.7), and a majority of her scoring comes from beyond the arc where she's converting on 44.0 percent of her attempts. Galic ranks in the top 10 nationally in three-pointers made and attempted this season. Dynah Jones (12.7 PPG) and Kyren Whittington (11.6 PPG) round out the double figure scorers. Rachel Hakes has dished out 86 assists so far this season.

With South Florida out of the way and based on what I am seeing with the rest of the AAC teams I think the Shocks are capable of being in pretty much all their remaining AAC games.

I will have to watch the replay on this as my grandson has a game at 6:00 tonight.

Update: Tulane 76 - Wichita State 53

Shows you what I know.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 11, 2023, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Other AAC Games

UCF 42-80 Houston

Cincinnati 44-55 SMU

East Carolina 72-51 Temple

Memphis 45-58 USF

Comment

With South Florida out of the way and based on what I am seeing with the rest of the AAC teams I think the Shocks are capable of being in pretty much all their remaining AAC games.

Update: Tulane 76 - Wichita State 53

Shows you what I know.
                          I have no idea what NET ranking gets you in the Dance, but USF at 32 and Tulane at 69 are the current top two teams from the AAC. If the NET is similar to the RPI, I think something in the low 50s would be required. Strangely, Charlie Creme has Tulsa (NET 82) as the AQ from the AAC! A really soft conference schedule? Too early to bother to look.

The Shockers are ninth at 125 of the eleven teams in the AAC.

Comment

Tulane was pretty damned efficient on offense early and knocked the socks off the Shocks before 5 minutes were gone. WSU couldn't get any stops.

I think WSU scored on 3 of the first 4 possessions and trailed 9-6. Three, three, three and it just never stopped. Great offense from Tulane (much better basketball players) and poor D and adjustments from the Shocks. But, honestly, we're too slow and unquick I guess. Constantly out of position defensively and piss poor getting back after misses AND makes and Tulane absolutely punished them for turning their heads.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                              Tulane was pretty damned efficient on offense early and knocked the socks off the Shocks before 5 minutes were gone. WSU couldn't get any stops.

I think WSU scored on 3 of the first 4 possessions and trailed 9-6. Three, three, three and it just never stopped. Great offense from Tulane (much better basketball players) and poor D and adjustments from the Shocks. But, honestly, we're too slow and unquick I guess. Constantly out of position defensively and piss poor getting back after misses AND makes and Tulane absolutely punished them for turning their heads.
                              Hard to believe that Tulane is now tied with the Shocks at 1-3 in the AAC. Tulane looked as good or better than anyone I have seen so far including USF. Their losses were to USF, Houston and ECU. Hard to say why the Shocker were so defenseless against Tulane. Perhaps USF exposed something in that 25-6 3rd quarter run against the Shockers at Koch Arena but the Shocks need to figure it out on defense. I think teams will increasingly try to make the Shockers beat them from the perimeter if they can. The Shocks are only shooting 28.8% from 3 on the season and were 4-20 vs Tulane. In their loss to Tulsa they were 4-16. In their loss to USF they were 2-8. In their win over Cincy they were 2-4.

The surprises so far have been ECU, Houston and Tulsa. We'll see if that lasts. Houston was voted by the AAC coaches to finish 2nd this year then went out a laid down a 3-10 record in the non-con against a schedule ranked #67. Tulsa and WSU were both 10-3 in the non-con against schedules ranked #342 and #343. Tulsa is 3-0 in the conference and WSU is now 1-3. Tulsa's wins have been by 5 to 8 points over ECU, WSU and UCF with ECU and UCF being road wins. We may not have a good feel for how where this conference is heading until the midway point of the 16-game schedule other than USF seems to be the team to beat.

Comment

Not saying would could have kept her, but we could have had her.

I'd be at every game with someone like this leading the way.

Comment

Working...
                                X