2022-23 Shocker Women XC and Track & Field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2022-23 Shocker Women XC and Track & Field

Coach Rainbolt, being a guy who loves his multi-event athletes, it was interesting to read his comments:

Rainbolt is excited about the addition of Mattelyn Swartz and his group of new female multi-event athletes. Swartz is a high jumper from Anthony, Kan. who has a personal best of 1.73m/5'8".

"I'm particularly excited about Mattelyn Swartz in the high jump," Rainbolt said. "I think that she's really good, and I think she's even better than what it appears."

Rainbolt compares his new group of female multis to the 2013 incoming class of Nikki Larch-Miller, Gavyn Yetter and Breanne Borman, who racked up three All-America and 28 all-conference honors between them.
    I guess the group of multi-event athletes he is referring to are the 5 freshman women he signed in this class:

Abby Klipstein – FR/FR – Keller, TX – Fort Worth Christian HS – University of Nebraska
    NEB: 60h 9.07, 100h 15.20, 800m 2:36, LJ 5.27m/17-3.5, Pent 3129
    HS: 100h 15.03, 5.32m/LJ 17-5.5, SP 10.38m/34-1, JT 29.60m/97-1

Sadie Millard – FR/FR – Omaha, NE – Millard West HS
    HS: 200m 25.69, 400m 56.8, LJ 5.56m/18-3

Lily Morrison – FR/FR – Ft. Collins, CO – Liberty Commons HS
    HS: 200m 26.34, 400m 57.36

Tess Roman – FR/FR – Prairie Village, KS – Shawnee Mission East HS
    HS: 100h 15.51, 1.62m/HJ 5-4, 5.43m/LJ 17-10, 11.22m/TJ 36-10

Emily Whorton – FR/FR – McPherson, KS – McPherson HS
    HS: 200m 27.7, 400m 1:00.9, 800m 2:34, HJ 1.52m/5-0

Sadie Millard must be pretty good since they named her high school after her.

Comparing any group to Nikki, Gavyn and Breanne who have the 2nd, 4th and 3rd best heptathlon scores and the 2nd, 8th and 1st best pentathlon scores in Shocker history is setting the expectation way up there.

Furthermore, Sophomores Destiny Masters and Brianna Utecht plus Senior Maria Romero are pretty solid multi-event performers as well. Destiny in particular is intriguing but so far she has not really been able to show what she can really due to to Covid and to injuries. She finished 2nd in the AAC pentathlon despite last year despite battling injuries and was unable to compete in the heptathlon outdoors due to injury. Brianna 12th in the pentathlon at the AAC Indoor but their were 4 seniors ahead of her and she finished 6th in the heptathlon at the AAC Outdoor good for 3 points. Maria picked up a couple of points in the pentathlon at the AAC Indoor at in the heptathlon at the AAC Outdoor with a 7th place finishes in each event.

I am hoping Ryan Horn's training and conditioning approach which includes a focus on avoiding injury can be helpful to the Shocker multi-event track and field athletes. I would love to see what a healthy Destiny Master can do.

The Shocks sweep the Top 5 spots at the JK Gold (Rustbuster) Classic. As you can see Abeba Sullivan won with a time of 18:12.9.

AAC XC individual champion Yazmine Wright won this event for the Shockers last year in a time of 17:34.1.

The top 5 Shocker runners had a combined time of 1:34.31. Despite the 37.2 second deficit at the #1 spot that was slightly better than the 1:34.47 that last years top 5 Shockers ran.

Comment

The Shocks competing against a much stronger field at the Greeno-Dirksen Invitational in Lincoln that they did at home at the JK Gold Classic.

The Shocks' combined top 5 time was 1:34.26 which was 5 seconds better than tht ran at the JK Gold Classic but whie they swept the top 5 spots in that race against a weak field they finished 27,41, 43. 54, 63 = 228 for an 8th place finish. Not really very competitive in this field.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        The Shocks competing against a much stronger field at the Greeno-Dirksen Invitational in Lincoln that they did at home at the JK Gold Classic.

The Shocks' combined top 5 time was 1:34.26 which was 5 seconds better than tht ran at the JK Gold Classic but whie they swept the top 5 spots in that race against a weak field they finished 27,41, 43. 54, 63 = 228 for an 8th place finish. Not really very competitive in this field.
        How many teams participated? I’m too lazy to research.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

How many teams participated? I’m too lazy to research.
          There were 29 teams including 10 D-1 teams. The Shocks (228) finished behind K-State (54), Nebraska (59), Drake (101), Kansas (118), NW Missouri (122), Northern Colorado (180) and Nebraska-Kearney (205).

They finished ahead of Air Force (205), Omaha (268), Kansas City (298), and Creighton (398). followed by an assortment of 17 D-II, NAIA and Juco programs.

Comment

Go XC! She’s as cute as a bug’s ear.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Go Shockers - Dick Leads the Shockers to Eight Personal Bests

LINCOLN, Neb. – A young Wichita State women's cross country team, racing without its top two runners, recorded eight personal bests to finish eighth out of 29 teams at the Greeno/Dirksen Invitational Saturday in Lincoln, Nebraska.

With Abeba Sullivan and Sarah Bertry resting up for next weekend's race in Minneapolis, Minn., Miranda Dick led the way for the Shocker women, placing in the top 30 with a 5K personal-best time of 18:27.8.

"Miranda really stepped it up," head coach Kirk Hunter said. "She got out just about perfectly and just kept moving up as the race went on. I thought she looked terrific."

Dick came through the 3K mark in 34th place and kept moving up through the final 2,000 meters to finish in 28th place out of 310 athletes.

"I think she's going to be even better over the 6K distance than the 5K distance, but she did a great job leading our team today," Hunter said.

Finishing 46th and 49th, respectively, Lubna Aldulaimi (18:50.0) and Jenna Muma (18:51.3) showed their reliability as scorers for the Shockers, coming through the line ahead of the 19-minute barrier.
              Maybe not a great team weekend, but having eight personal bests set is promising. Hopefully they can build upon that in Minnesota.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                Maybe not a great team weekend, but having eight personal bests set is promising. Hopefully they can build upon that in Minnesota.
                Having personal bests are great if they are improving on previous strong performances. If they are improving on previous mediocre or weak performances then they do not mean too much although it is good to see some growth and improvement.

But to put it in perspective Miranda Dicks PB of 18:27.8 is about 1 minute slower than last years AAC XC Champion Yazmine Wright whose XC PB in a 5K race was 17:34.1 while Rebekah Topham had a PB of 17:00.3 and Winny Koskei had a PB of 16:36.5.

However, the Shockers top runner did not run in this race. Abeba Sullivan has a PB of 18.09.5 in a 5K XC race. Sophomore transfer Sarah Bertry ran a 18:37.5 in her first races as a Shocker last week also did not compete in Lincoln.

That puts the Shocks top 5 runners around 18:10 to 18:50 in the 5k. Of course, the AAC Championship is a 6k race. Will see how the team does in Minnesota for a 6k race this coming Friday. After that they have a 3 week break for another 6k race in Peoria hosted by Bradley with the AAC Championship coming two ls later on October 28th.

We'll see how they are doing by the time the Bradley 6k race on October 14th. A lot of training time available between now and then.

Comment

The Wichita State women finished 17th in a filed of 20 teams in their first 6K race of the season at the Roy Griak Invitational in Minnesota.

The top five Shocker runners had a combined time of 1:55:15.6. That time would have finished 8th of 11 teams in last year's AAC Championships. Of course race times are hard to compare as the times are greatly effected by the course terrain and condition, the weather and to some extent the size of the field.

The Shocks top two runners were back in action today but the rest of the team ran a 5k in Lincoln last Saturday so they may not have been fully recovered.

Nevertheless, doesn't look like the Shockers will be a factor in the AAC this year.

The Shockers have two weekends off before they run their final regular-season race on Friday, Oct. 14 at the Bradley Pink Classic in Peoria, Illinois.

Comment

Pretty good effort by the Lady Shocks at the Bradley Pink Classic in Peoria in their final race before the AAC Championships on October 28th in Tulsa.

The Shockers top 5 clocked in with a total time of 1:49.24 in the 6K race which was a big improvement over their previous race in Minnisota. However, according to Coach Hunter the ground was hard so this course was much faster than the Minnesota course.

Nevertheless it gives hope that the Lady Shocks might be able to improve on their 6th place team finish in last year's AAC Championship.

Comment

The Lady Shocks did, in fact, improve a little bit over their 6th place team finish in last year's AAC XC Championship moving up to 5th place this year finishing just 6 points behind 4th place Temple with finishes of 5-13-17-45-46 for 126 points. Not surprisingly Tulsa picked up another XC Championship and were not really challenged.

I think that was a pretty good performance by the Lady Shocks. I believe the Top 15 runners earn All -Conference honors so congratulations to Abeba Sullivan (5th place) and Sara Bertry (13th place).

Comment

It's progress. Gotta keep building; keep pushing.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                          It's progress. Gotta keep building; keep pushing.
                          Abeba is a grad student and I think this is her last year of eligibility. The other 4 top 5 finishers for the Shocks consisted of a junior and 3 sophomores. So you would think the potential is there but replacing 5th place finisher will not be easy.

Comment

Signed a distance runner from Hamburg, Germany today in Finja Lammeyer.

May have to see if I can dig up any info on her later.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

A link to her personal bests at different distances. Distance running isn't really in my scope of knowledge so I'm not sure where these numbers might stack up for a 17 year old.
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                              X