Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Outside of Wilson....

Suppose Lucas was consistent. Vidal had a bad meet. Slayton started out poorly but improved each round. Lawson the same.
    Mackenzie Wilson certainly appears to be a good get for Coach McCurdy although it has only been 2 tournaments. But the Shocks could use 3 or 4 more like her.

Obviously, you hope for improvement between now and the end of the year but not sure how much improvement is reasonable to expect.

At this stage of the game the Shocks appear to be a run-of-the-mill MVC level team.

The good news is that Women's golf does not generate any significant revenue whether they are really good or really bad. So as far as athletic conference finances are concerned women's golf is not a concern. It serves its purpose of keeping the Shocks D-1 eligible and Title IX compliant. Also, these seem to be very fine young ladies and good student athletes. They have a long way to go to be a contributor to the competitive goals that ADKS has laid out in his 5-year strategic plan. But they contribute nicely to the academic and community goals of that plan.

My guess is recruiting golfers to WSU is a challenge especially with our cool and windy spring weather. The wind in particular is something golfers don't seem to like too much. Every now and then we will get a golfer like Taryn Torgerson who is really fun to follow as an individual. Looks like Mackenzie Wilson might turn out to be one of those. Taryn was flying way under the radar when she came out high school and pretty much had to beg her way on to the team IIRC. Mackenzie had a pretty impressive resume coming in.

So I hope to see some good individual performances and some improvement this year. Not expecting much in the way of overall team success on the links.

Comment

The ladies are back at it this week. Lets see if there's any improvement and if Wilson continues to carry them.

Go Shockers - Wichita State Golfers Head North for Big O Classic

WICHITA, Kan. - A quick turnaround will see the Wichita State women's golf team head north to Omaha for the Big O Classic, Oct. 3-4.

Opening round play kicks off Monday, Oct. 3 with 36 holes and concludes with 18 holes on Tuesday. Play begins at 8:30 a.m. on Monday, followed by 9 a.m. tee times on Tuesday.

The tournament will be played at Oak Hills Country Club, featuring a par-73, 5,952-yard layout.

Wichita State joins the nine-team field at Oak Hills Country Club and will be represented in Nebraska with this lineup: Mackenzie Wilson, Megan Lucas, Mar Vidal, Kenni Henson and Brooklyn Benn. Henson, a senior, will be making her season debut for the Shockers.

Big O Classic

• Dates: Monday-Tuesday, Oct. 3-4
      • Host: Creighton
      • Yardage: 5,952
      • Par: 73
      • Format: 54 Holes (36 Monday, 18 Tuesday)
      • Live Scoring: GolfStat.com
      • The Field: 9 teams
      Creighton, Cal State Northridge, Western Illinois, Northern Iowa, Omaha, Montana, St. Thomas, Wichita State, Lindenwood
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

A small field of mostly northern mid-majors. The only school from a warm weather location is Cal State Northridge.

The Shocks have the lead after round 1 at 10-over par. Host Creighton is 2nd at 15-over and hometown Omaha is 3rd at 16-over on the par 73 layout. Oak Hills is a par 73 despite being a relatively short circuit at 5,952 yards. It is not playing all that easy either so it must be a very interesting golf course.

I wonder if AAC SHOX or pogo or any of our resident golfing gurus have played this course.

The Shockers 4 top scores were Mar Vidal 1-over, senior Kenni Henson 2-over in her 1st outing of the year, Megan Lucas 3-over and Mackenzie Wilson 4-over. Freshman Brooklyn Benn had the throw away score at 12-over par.

Kenni had a rough start find herself 6-over after 9 holes but rallied for 4 birdies and 5 pars on the back 9 to finish at 2-over.

Round 2 is underway.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 4, 2022, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Round 2 in Omaha wasn't as kind to the Shockers as they came in at 19-over par 311 vs 10-over par 302 in the morning round. That drops them to 2nd place, 3 shots behind Creighton and 6 shots ahead of Omaha.

The Shockers 4 top scores in round 2 were Mar Vidal 2-over, senior Kenni Henson 3-over, Megan Lucas 5-over and Mackenzie Wilson 9-over as she had the worst round of her very young Shocker career. Freshman Brooklyn Benn had the throw away score at 10-over par and has not provided any protection or safety net out the #5 position. So when 1 of the top 4 falters like Mackenzie did today the teams feels the full brunt of that.

Comment

They look like they're on the way to imploding early today. Early in the round, very early, and already a combined 8 bogeys, a triple, and a quad highlight the scorecard. They'll be lucky to finish in the top 5 at this pace.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
              A small field of mostly northern mid-majors. The only school from a warm weather location is Cal State Northridge.

The Shocks have the lead after round 1 at 10-over par. Host Creighton is 2nd at 15-over and hometown Omaha is 3rd at 16-over on the par 73 layout. Oak Hills is a par 73 despite being a relatively short circuit at 5,952 yards. It is not playing all that easy either so it must be a very interesting golf course.

I wonder if AAC SHOX or pogo or any of our resident golfing gurus have played this course.

The Shockers 4 top scores were Mar Vidal 1-over, senior Kenni Henson 2-over in her 1st outing of the year, Megan Lucas 3-over and Mackenzie Wilson 4-over. Freshman Brooklyn Benn had the throw away score at 12-over par.

Kenni had a rough start find herself 6-over after 9 holes but rallied for 4 birdies and 5 pars on the back 9 to finish at 2-over.

Round 2 is underway.
              It does seem tricky. No, I haven't played or know anything about this track. GO SHOX!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                They look like they're on the way to imploding early today. Early in the round, very early, and already a combined 8 bogeys, a triple, and a quad highlight the scorecard. They'll be lucky to finish in the top 5 at this pace.
                They steadied the ship a little bit. They are still 3-shots behind Creighton and collectively had 22 holes of golf remaining. They have actually picked up 2 shots on Omaha extending their lead to 8 shots over the Mavs.

So the Shocks may be on their way to the tournament but it would appear this course has more than just sand traps as no one is making a big move.

Comment

Creighton and the Shocks are now tied as Creighton's #2 golfer recorded a quad 9 on the par 5 18th hole. Each team has 2 golfers that are on 18. The #3 and #4 positions.

Both #4 golfers bogey the 18th so we are down to the final 2 golfers still tied. Mar Vidal, who has had a tough day, for the Shocks and Gabby Tremblay for Creighton.

I gotta go. Let me know how it turns out.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 4, 2022, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Creighton's last 2 finished bogey-bogey and WSU backed into the title.

I would like to see the set up for a 435 yard par 5. That course only played 5950 but was a par 73? 17 was a 450 par 5 and 18 was a 435 par 5. Seems odd.

Comment

The Shocks managed to back into a win courtesy of host Creighton despite shooting their highest score of any round of the tournament. But Creighton did the same thing and the 5 team members for the Bluejays played the final 5 holes in a collective 13-over par vs 7-over par for the Shocks. The killer hole for Creighton was quad 9 on the par 5 18th.

The Shockers 4 top scores in round 3 were Kenni Henson 3-over, Megan Lucas and Mackenzie Wilson both 6-over, and Brooklyn Benn at 7-over. Mar Vidal at 8-overhad the throw away score.

Kenni finished the tournament at 7-over par good for 3 on the individual leader board and was after she was 6-holes after her first 9-holes of the tournament. So Kenni was 1-over on her final 27 holes which apparently on this golf course pretty good playing.

This was the Shockers first team win since October 2017 which was Taryn Torgerson's senior year.

For those who like to put a name with the faces I will give it my best shot. From left to right, Fr. Lauren Thiele. Fr. Mackenzie Wilson, Sr. Megan Lucas, Sr. Kenni Henson and Fr. Brooklyn Benn.

I won't guarantee I have those correct, but I think I do. Lauren Thiele did not play in the tournament. Perhaps she was an alternate or came along because she is from Wahoo, Nebraska which is about 20 miles west of Omaha. Perhaps she has some local course knowledge that would have been helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                        The Shocks managed to back into a win courtesy of host Creighton despite shooting their highest score of any round of the tournament. But Creighton did the same thing and the 5 team members for the Bluejays played the final 5 holes in a collective 13-over par vs 7-over par for the Shocks. The killer hole for Creighton was quad 9 on the par 5 18th.

The Shockers 4 top scores in round 3 were Kenni Henson 3-over, Megan Lucas and Mackenzie Wilson both 6-over, and Brooklyn Benn at 7-over. Mar Vidal at 8-overhad the throw away score.

Kenni finished the tournament at 7-over par good for 3 on the individual leader board and was after she was 6-holes after her first 9-holes of the tournament. So Kenni was 1-over on her final 27 holes which apparently on this golf course pretty good playing.

This was the Shockers first team win since October 2017 which was Taryn Torgerson's senior year.

For those who like to put a name with the faces I will give it my best shot. From left to right, Fr. Lauren Thiele. Fr. Mackenzie Wilson, Sr. Megan Lucas, Sr. Kenni Henson and Fr. Brooklyn Benn.

I won't guarantee I have those correct, but I think I do. Lauren Thiele did not play in the tournament. Perhaps she was an alternate or came along because she is from Wahoo, Nebraska which is about 20 miles west of Omaha. Perhaps she has some local course knowledge that would have been helpful.
                        I take it that Mar Vidal is holding the trophy?

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

I take it that Mar Vidal is holding the trophy?
                          Yes. I missed listing her.

Comment

Shockers Look to Carry Momentum into Little Rock Classic

https://goshockers.com/news/2022/10/...k-classic.aspx

Fresh off a team title in its last outing, Wichita State will look to carry that momentum into the Little Rock Golf Classic, Oct. 17-18.

Opening round play kicks off Monday, Oct. 17 with 36 holes and concludes with 18 holes on Tuesday. Play begins at 8:00 a.m. both days.

The tournament will be played at Diamante Country Club, featuring a par-72, 6,054-yard layout.

Wichita State joins the 16-team field in Hot Springs Village, Ark., and will be represented with this lineup: Kenni Henson, Mar Vidal, Megan Lucas, Mackenzie Wilson and Sarah Lawson.

• The Field: 16 teams
                            Little Rock, Ball State, Belmont, Georgia State, Houston Christian, Idaho State, Missouri State, Southern Illinois, Southern Indiana, Stephen F. Austin, Tarleton State, Texas A&M-Commerce, Troy, ULM, UT Arlington, Wichita State

LIVE SCORING
                            Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 17, 2022, 01:50 PM.

Comment

The Shocks finish round 1 in 6th place at 10-over par. Missouri State leads at 1-under par. Mar Vidal led the Shocks at 1-over 73 followed by Megan Lucas at 2-over 74, Kenni Henson at 3-over 75 and Mackenzie Wilson 4-over 76. Sarah Lawson had the throw away score at 9-over 81.

Comment

Gosh that lineup screams Valley buy tourney.

Comment

Working...
                                X