Lady Shocks in the WNIT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few more random thoughts regarding the dominating win of ORU:

As with the men's team, it just goes to show you how good you can look when you are knocking down shots and how bad you can look when you aren't. The Lady Shocks are not know as a perimeter shooting team and during the conference season averaged on 7.5 trey attemtps a game hitting 35% as Jody made the conscious decision to restrict the team's 3 point shooting. Agaisnt ORU the Lady Shocks knocked down 7-13 treys (54%) and to their credit they left that duty up to the players most capable of hitting them as Haleigh was 3-4, Jessica 2-4 and Alicia 2-5. Shot selection on the treys was very good. OTOH, the Lady Shocks missed a fair share of relatively easy shots around the basket or this rout could have been much worse. Also the Shocks were only 12-19 from the line although Alex Harden 5-6, Molly O'Brien 2-3 and Jessica 2-2 combined to hit a solid 9-11.

Haleigh and Jessica put on one of the best 1-2 shows that I have seen in a long. long time. Haleigh was absolutely brilliant prior to her injury and when she went down Jessica stepped up big time to lead the team. Jessica is one player who wouldn't bother me if she was just a little more unselfish. Jessica was on the floor for 32 minutes of the 36 minutes before getting the rest of the night off at with 4:00 minutes remaining and the Shocks up by 25. She played all but 30 seconds of the first 16 minutes of the 2nd half as Jody leaned on Jessica heavily with Haleigh injured. Haleigh's prouty rating has to be off the charts with her 21 points on 12 shots in only 14 minutes.

Good job by Jazimen Gordon and Chynna Turner for pulling down 8 rebounds each as the Shocks outrebounded the bigger, at times much bigger, ORU team 39-34. Bugg Jones and Molly O chipped in with 4 rebounds each.

I hate to mention officiating in an easy win but I found myself irritated more than normal for a game where the Shocks were dominating. I will just say that the Shocks domination was all about the Shocks. They did not need nor did they receive any favors from the zebras.

15 assists to 13 turnovers (in a very hectic game) was very good work by the Shocks. Alicia and Bugg leading the way with 4 assists each.

Kelsey Jacobs did not see the floor. I did not hear a reason for that. Anybody hear anything. Nicole Wells pitched in with a nice 8 minutes of work from a player who did not play much this season.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 17, 2012, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      I hate to mention officiating in an easy win but I found myself irritated more than normal for a game where the Shocks were dominating. I will just say that the Shocks domination was all about the Shocks. They did not need nor did they receive any favors from the zebras.
      I made the comment during the game that JA was talking to the officials more than she had the rest of the season combined.

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      Kelsey Jacobs did not see the floor. I did not hear a reason for that. Anybody hear anything. Nicole Wilson pitched in with a nice 8 minutes of work from a player who did not play much this season.
      I also wondered about Kelsey not seeing the floor - matchup issues? nagging injury? Wells, not Wilson, but who is counting.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
        Wells, not Wilson, but who is counting.
        See, I told you she hadn't played much. So little I can't even remember her name. Corrected. :o
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 17, 2012, 05:56 PM.

Comment

As expected Haleigh's 0.693 Prouty rating is off the charts as > 0.566 is an A+. AAA+ for Haleigh.

Thanks to @1979Shocker: for keeping the Prouty rating during the year.

Comment

Missouri State 82-65 Memphis

Casey Garrison played 18 minutes in this one. The Bears next play the winner of our game with Oklahoma State.

Illinois State hosts Villanova today.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
              I made the comment during the game that JA was talking to the officials more than she had the rest of the season combined.

I also wondered about Kelsey not seeing the floor - matchup issues? nagging injury? Wells, not Wilson, but who is counting.
              My guess is she was in Jody's dog house. Hopefully she will play today as Ok State has some big girls and we can use Kelsey's interior defense, rebounding and length.

Comment

Yes, it would be nice to have Kelsey available today vs O-State. More importantly we need Haleigh to be able to play and play effectively.

In today's Eagle write-up Jody said yesterday that it looks like she will probably play, but they are still taking it one day at a time. Of course, be able to play and be able to play effectively are two different things. Defensively Haleigh can be tough even with one arm. I would think offense and rebounding will be where the injury will impact Haleight the most. She will have to be carefull in the rebounding scrums to avoid aggravating her injury.

Good luck Shocks!

Comment

Oklahoma State Game Notes: http://www.okstate.com/sports/w-bask...031712aaa.html

Oklahoma State Roster: http://www.okstate.com/sports/w-bask...askbl-mtt.html

This is a young O-State team. No seniors. 116 of 145 starts by freshman and sophomores.

Oklahoma State Stats: http://www.okstate.com/sports/w-bask.../teamcume.html

OSU beat Missouri State by 23 at home in pre-conference play 80-57.

Shocks will have to play very well to win this one.

Comment

FYI, Kelsey is healthy. She was late to team practice before the ORU game.
                    History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it - Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Turnovers..just killing ourselves.

Comment

Illinois State 55-58 Villanova

Comment

Shocks season ends in Stillwater with a 44-64 loss to the O-State Cowgirls.

A twelve minute stretch over the final 7:30 of the 1st half and first 4:30 of the 2nd half where the Shocks hit a scoring drought and allowed OSU to go on a 21-2 run pretty much did the Shocks in.

The Shocks did make a nice 20-5 run of their own to pull within 42-38 but apparently used up everything in their tank doing so as OSU pulled away over the last 9 minutes for the 20 point win.

Shocks received nice efforts from true freshman Alex Harden and Molly O'Brien. Molly with a career high 9 points. Jessica got off to a bad start shooting missing her 1st 6 shots although she did finish 4-11 from the field for 9 points. Haleigh's elbow apparently was hurting as she only played 17 minutes.

Sounded like OSU's size and strength was a problem for the Shocks.

Many thanks to Haleigh and Alicia as they close out their Shocker careers. Haleigh in particular has had a terrific career and deserves a lot of credit for the improvement the program has shown over her 4 years. Good luck to both Haleigh and Alicia.

Comment

Thanks

Now is as good of a time as any to submit my heartfelt thanks to the wonderful Shocker community and city of Wichita for the love and kindness you have surrounded my daughter with for the past 4 years. We will never forget it. The way she has been embraced has been beyond anything we could ever have imagined. May God bless all of you.

Comment

The thanks go to you Hoopzdad for sharing the wonderful young lady that is your daughter with us for the past four years. Best wishes to your entire family and please don't be a stranger. It is easy to see where Haliegh gets her class from.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoopzdad View Post
                                Turnovers..just killing ourselves.
                                It was great watching Haleigh play over the years. She needs to get healthy and then I hope she plans to play pro. Bridgette can help her get to Europe.

Comment

Working...
                                X