Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shocker SB at Wilson/Demarini Invitational (Arizona State)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker SB at Wilson/Demarini Invitational (Arizona State)

The Shockers play this weekend in Tempe at a tournament hosted by Arizona State, one of four the Sun Devils host before conference schedules begin. We also play ASU an out-of-tournament game on Thursday.

The Shockers open the tournament on Friday with games against Howard and North Dakota State. Howard is a member of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC) where they were picked fourth of seven teams in the Northern Division. Thus far, the Bison have a 1-5 record against nondescript competition. Later is a game against North Dakota State. These Bison (a different herd from the one at Howard) are three-time defending Summit League tournament champions. This year, they were picked second (one point out of first) to UMKC of the nine teams in the league. They are 9-6 on the season, two of those losses being to Alabama who are ranked 1/2 in the two softball polls.

On Saturday, we are matched up against Howard and Arizona State. ASU are the defending WCWS champions and were a preseason pick for first in the Pac-10. They are currently ranked 5/5 and have a record of 14-2.

On Sunday, we close the tournament against Boise State. The Broncos are picked third in the five team Mountain West Conference. Their record is 9-6 with four of those losses against ranked teams.

Creighton is also at this tournament, but we do not play each other. Rather, we are playing the aforementioned "early" game on Thursday against Arizona State, and the Jays are playing the Sun Devils a "late" game on the Tuesday after the tournament.

This tournament reminds me of the Baylor tournament - two games against Howard we should win and the rest to tell us where we stand.
    Last edited by flyingMoose; March 2, 2012, 07:44 AM.

Who will hit leadoff this weekend? That could be a big factor in those four games outside of Arizona State.

Comment

Tournament Central. Only the Arizona State games are on GT.

Comment

I will consider the weekend a success if we compete well and win both of the games vs Howard, split the North Dakota State and Boise State games and take ASU to 7 innings in at least one of our two games with them.

Taking a game from North Dakota State or Boise State will not be easy. Looking at their results this year they both seem to have solid teams.

Illinois State, picked to win the Valley, lost at ASU in 5 innings by a 14-3 score.

Creighton is picked to finish 5th in the Valley.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 29, 2012, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          Taking a game from North Dakota State or Boise State will not be easy. Looking at their results this year they both seem to have solid teams.
          The two losses by North Dakota State to Alabama were both regulation seven-inning games, one decided by one run. The losses to ranked teams by Boise State were to UCLA, Washington, Oklahoma and Florida, the game with the Sooners being the only runs-ahead game.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
            The two losses by North Dakota State to Alabama were both regulation seven-inning games, one decided by one run. The losses to ranked teams by Boise State were to UCLA, Washington, Oklahoma and Florida, the game with the Sooners being the only runs-ahead game.
            So you saying I may be setting the bar too high for this Shocker team. You may very well be correct in that assessment.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
              So you saying I may be setting the bar too high for this Shocker team. You may very well be correct in that assessment.
              I confess I find it hard to imagine us running through that gauntlet with only one runs-ahead game. :( Maybe later in the season, but not now.

Comment

Keeping errors to a minimun, THINKING about what the play is before each pitch, catching pop flys, charging soft slaps, etc. as well as pitchers at their best, even with a loss, will be a "win" for the team. Any improvement they show against tough competition, they should be proud of. Offensively, if they can be more consistant through the line-up, putting the bat on the ball, not necessarily for a hit, against the better pitchers, that is success, also. Go Shockers! Be aggressive, stay tough, and be proud.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                  I confess I find it hard to imagine us running through that gauntlet with only one runs-ahead game. :( Maybe later in the season, but not now.
                  I was just wanting only one of the 2 ASU games to go the distance. Perhaps a split with NDS and Boise is too much to ask though.

Comment

Shockers 0-11(5) Arizona State

Fresh in from the women's basketball game to find this score - talk about a left to the jaw (WBB) and a right to the jaw (SB). (Clearly, my boxing analogies need a lot of work.)

We were no-hit by the Sun Devils' #3 pitcher with Sammie's walk being our only base runner. Sloan gave up a run in each of the first two innings before things got ugly in the third. She gave up four runs with Katherine coming on with just one out. KJ gave up a hit to score a fifth. Then she gave up four of her own in the fourth. Sloan gave up three homers and Katherine one. At least we got boxed around by the best.
                    Last edited by flyingMoose; March 3, 2012, 09:28 PM.

Comment

At least the softball team was simply overmatched.

Comment

Writeup of last night's game from the ASU site.

Comment

Got an email from a softball bum who went to the game and he said that the Arizona State pitchers kept the ball low and worked the corners and the WSU pitchers didn't.

Location, location, location.......

Comment

Though there is no GT (animated, pitch-by-pitch update), there is a StatsFeed which updates after each batter.

Howard have put up a four-spot in the top of the first against Katie. That can happen after a couple of walks, a couple of singles, a couple of illegal pitches and an error.

The lineup is the same as last night. Notably, Rachel is back at 2B, Hayley is back at SS, Brittney has moved to CF and Danika is in RF. Laura, the SS to this point, is not playing. Injury? Coach's decision?

Comment

is that stats feed right? It says shockers have scored six in the second and lead 8-5

Comment

Working...
                              X