Alex Harden MVC Newcomer-Of-The Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alex Harden MVC Newcomer-Of-The Week

5'11" Freshman G/F Alex Harden, out of Springfield, IL, was selected as the MVC Newcomer of the week for her performances in her first ever starting roles against SIU and Evansville.

Alex Harden was named the Missouri Valley Conference Newcomer-Of-the-Week for Feb. 20 after leading the Wichita State women's basketball team to a pair of wins over the weekend.

Alex was very efficient on offense and chipped in some rebounds, assists and steals while she was at it.

Alex looks to have bright future as a Shocker. Perhaps a bigger, stronger version of Haleigh Lankster.

Well deserved award for one of our baby Shockers!

:good:
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 20, 2012, 05:03 PM.

Congrats to Alex!!

And then I'm going to piggy-back here. Casey Garrrison, the Missouri State guard, was the Valley Player-of-the-Week - but read the paragraph below from the Valley press release. I have underlined the "amazing" parts of it.

STATE FARM MISSOURI VALLEY CONFERENCE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
    Casey Garrison, Sr., G, Missouri State
    The normally right-handed shooting Garrison shot exclusively with her left hand this week thanks to a thumb sprain and averaged 18.5 points on 61 percent shooting in two wins. Garrison averaged 6.0 rebounds, 4.0 assists and 3.0 steals while adding 67 percent shooting from three-point land and 83 percent from the free throw line. Friday, she shot 8-for-10 from the field and 3-for-4 from three on the way to 20 points, eight rebounds and four assists against Evansville. Sunday, Garrison scored 17 points with four rebounds, four assists, five steals and two blocks versus Southern Illinois.

We have always known that Casey was a formidable foe, but that is scary good. I watched highlights of the Evansville game on the Bears site and saw her make a reverse layup, three mid-range jumpers and a three-ball, all left-handed.

Comment

That is amazing. Kind of like the Creighton pitcher who pitched by righty and lefty. Casey will no doubt be the Valley POY (for the 2nd time) and deservedly so. Casey has terrific basketball skills but I don't think she is over-athletic. But she seems to have a Basketball IQ that is off the charts. I have always liked her game, but I won't be shedding any tears that she is graduating.

If Jessica Diamond continues playing her consistent good play over the final 4 games of the season she should joint Casey on the 1st Team All-MVC team. Not sure Haleigh has quite had a good enough year for 1st Team honors but she should be on the 2nd Team and perhaps the Defensive POY. Jaz and/or Chynna have a shot at honorable mention.

Not sure how Alex stacks up against the league's freshman. SIU's Macklin will no doubt be Freshman of the Year. If Alex finishes strong she may have a shot at the All-Freshman team.

Comment

Working...
      X