Shocker WBB 2021-2022 Offseason/Preseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker WBB 2021-2022 Offseason/Preseason

HCKA has announced a couple of spring singings for next season to add to the 4 players she signed last fall. 5 of these 6 newcomers are freshman and 1 is a Juco transfer. Also 5 of the 6 newcomers are international recruits.

The current 21-22 roster lists 9 players. Not returning are Asia Henderson, Jaida Hampton and Ene Adams. I think Asia and Jaida have been dealing with health or injury issues and neither of them played at all this past season. So the addition of the 6 new players will give HCKA a full compliment of 15 scholarship players assuming all or on scholarship. Mariah McKinney joined the team at mid season last year as walk-on when the Shocks found themselves short on players. Would not surprise me at all if has earned a scholarship. Probably deserves it.

The breakdown by class is: 6 seniors, 2 juniors, 2 sophomores, and 5 freshmen. 8 players from overseas and 7 players from the United States.

Here are the 9 returning players: https://goshockers.com/sports/womens...22?&sort=class

Here are the 4 fall signees: https://goshockers.com/news/2020/11/...for-adams.aspx

Here are the 2 recent spring signees: https://goshockers.com/news/2021/6/1...ing-class.aspx

Small Guards:
    Sr. Seraphine Bastin 5-8 (Belgium)
    Sr. Maria McCully 5-7
    Sr. Mariah McKinney 5-8
    Jr. D.J. McCarty 5-8
    Fr. Jayze'lee Waihi 5-8 (New Zealand)
    Fr. Nhug Bosch 5-7 (Spain)
    Fr. Tanya Platonova 5-7 (Russia)

Big Guards/Small Forwards:
    Sr. Carla Bermaud 5-11 (France)
    So. Shamaryah Duncan 5-11
    So. Carla Budane 6-0 (Portugal)
    Fr. Melissa Sechiaroli 5-10 (France)

Forwards/Centers :
    Sr. Asia Strong 6-2
    Sr. Trajata Colbert 6-2
    Jr. Jane Asinde 6-1 (Uganda by way of 2 years at Grayson (TX) College)
    Fr. Ella Anciaux 6-4

Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 14, 2021, 04:05 PM.

Do those class assignments take into account extra covid eligibility?
    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
      Do those class assignments take into account extra covid eligibility?
      I can't say for sure. I just went by how they were listed on the roster on goshockers.com. However, it does not seem like it does in most cases. Mariah McCully being the only super senior that I can tell.

I would think everyone else except the incoming players will get another year if they want it.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 14, 2021, 09:57 PM.

Comment

After reviewing the individual bios of the 9 returning players and operating on the assumption that no eligibility was used us by any of these 9 players last year I would have to coclude that the class years reflected on the goshocker;com roster are academic years and not eligibility years. Of course, there is no assurance how many of these ladies will opt for the additional year at Wichita State. But assuming they would, the makeup of the roster in terms of eligibility remaining looks like this:

4 Years remaining = 7 players: Shamaryah Duncan, Carla Budane and 5 of the 6 newcomers
        3 Years remaining = 3 players: D.J. McCarty, Mariah McKinney plus the juco transfer from Grayson College Jane Asinde
        2 Years remaining = 4 players: Seraphine Bastin, Carla Bremaud, Asia Strong, and Trajata Colbert
        1 Year remaining = 1 player: Mariah McCully

I am not 100% sure I have Mariah McKinney slotted correctly. Looks like she played 1 year as a freshman in 2018-19 at Ft. Scott CC. Then it appears she sat out the 2019-20 season before joining the Shockers as a walk-on during the Christmas break last year that did not count against her eligibility So she should have 3 years of eligibility reaming even though she is listed as an academic senior on the 2021-22 roster. Whether or not she remains a walk-on I can't say. Would not surprise me if HCKA gives her a schollie if one is available (and at this point that would seem to be the case).

From what I understand Jane Asinde's 2020-21 season at Grayson does not count against her NCAA eligibility.

It will be interesting to see if HCKA might redshirt 2 or 3 of the incoming freshman to breakup that class. HCKA has not been inclined to use redshirting in her time at WSU and I am not sure the class imbalances are of much concern to her either. In any case, I would think any redshirts would have to be agreed to by the player.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 15, 2021, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Kristi Bredbenner Inks Contract Extension

Wichita State softball head coach Kristi Bredbenner has signed a contract extension through the 2026 season, director of athletics Darron Boatright announced Friday. The extension adds three years onto Bredbenner's existing contract, which was set to run through 2023.

Wichita State softball head coach Kristi Bredbenner has signed a contract extension through the 2026 season, director of athletics Darron Boatright announced Friday. The extension adds three years onto Bredbenner's existing contract, which was set to run through 2023.

"Kristi has continued to build a model program in all aspects since arriving at Wichita State 10 years ago," Boatright said. "We are happy to show our support and appreciation with this extension."
          Not that this necessarily precludes her from leaving but it does give her added job security. Well deserved.

Comment

This makes me happy. Hope she finds a way to take that next step and maintain and grow what we have now.
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Not a great home non-con schedule for the Lady Shocks but in a bit of surprise they do have a home game with Kansas on December 21st.

Comment

Strong Tabbed Preseason First Team All-Conference (Lady Shocks Picked 8th)

https://shockernet.net/forum/wichita...on#post1308788

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Ella Anciaux played well last night. She and Strong were on opposite teams last night, while both played Center. Ella was better than Strong last night. I don't know if Strong and Ella can play together, but if not, some of Strong's PT could be seriously affected.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Ella Anciaux played well last night. She and Strong were on opposite teams last night, while both played Center. Ella was better than Strong last night. I don't know if Strong and Ella can play together, but if not, some of Strong's PT could be seriously affected.
                    Yes, Strong and Anciaux can and will play together. Anciaux is pretty much a 5. Strong is primarily a stretch 4. If healthy, 4th year 6-2 junior Trajata Colbert will probably start at the 5 with Anciaux backing her up. I don't discount the possibility that Anciaux might be that starter at some point in the season. If both are healthy I think Trajata and Ella will fill most of the minutes at the 5 and I expect Asia will spend most of her time at the 4 where she has the ability to stretch the defense. Juco transfer Jane Asinde and/or 2nd year freshman Carla Budane will most likely back up Strong at the 4 but I anticipate the drop off from Asia to either of those players will be significant.

The other key players for the Shocks will be 4th year junior point guard Seraphine Bastin, 4th year junior wing who plays mostly at the 3 Carla Bremaud, 5th year senior Maria McCulley at the 2, 3rd year combo guard DJ McCarty. How the rest of the roster will fit in and will be used remains to be seen.

With 5 true freshman and 2 second year freshman I think HCKA would be wise to employ some redshirting. However. that is something she has not be prone to do in the past even while carrying a full roster of 15 scholarship players.

The AAC is not really that strong of a WBB conference so I think the Lady Shock have the potential to out-perform the 8th place expectations. Whether they will or not remains to be seen.
                    Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 13, 2021, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Let's try this one.

Comment

Roundhouse podcast with DJ McCarty and Ella Anciaux on women’s basketball

Ella is a very well spoken freshman. BTW her last name is pronounced An-See-Oh (or at least that's how Paul Suellentrop pronounced it. DJ needs like to say 'I feel like" a lot.

I really like DJ's game and I'm hoping maybe this year will be a breakout year for her. She got off to a very good start as a freshman before she had a pretty severe ankle injury that sidelined for quite a will and effected her even after she came back. DJ seems to have one of the better BBIQ's on the team. From the highlight's I have seen of Ella I think her challenge will be to adapt to the speed of the D-1 game. Hopefully, she will be able to put her 6-4 frame to good use. Said her knew nickname as Shocker is Big E. However, I don't think either DJ or Ella had a clue as to what Paul was referring to when he said there's a lot of history with that nickname.

Maybe Ella will ask her parents what Paul was referring to.

Comment

Or potentially her grandparents........we're old.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                            Or potentially her grandparents........we're old.
                            Indeed.

Comment

The Lady Shocks have a final tune-up before the regular season starts with an exhibition game agains D-II Missouri Southern State.

Strarting lineup for the Shocks looks to be Seraphine Bastin, Mariah McCulley, Carla Bremaud, Asia Strong and Trajata Colbert. Nothing unexpected there.

Shocks up 27-19 at the end of the 1st quarter. High scoring 1st quarter.

Shocks lead 52-32. Seraphine Bastin with 13 points on 3-4 from the field and 7-7 from the line plus 6 rebounds and 3 assists leading the starters. 6-1 Juco transfer Jane Asinde came of the bench to scorre 13 points as well on 4-8 from the field and 5-6 from the line and also had 6 rebounds. None of the other newcomers contribute much. Freshman Ella Anciaux, from Kapaun-Mt. Carmel, played 4 minutes. She had 2 points, 3 rebounds and 3 personal fouls.

It has pretty much been a foul fest with 29 fouls and 40 free throws between the 2 teams combined.

The Shocks have a huge advantage on the boards at 41-14 including 20 offensvie rebounds, many of those off their own missed lay-ups. Shocks only had 5 turnovers vs 9 for MSS which is a good number for the Shocks. Between the rebounding and turnver advantages the Shocks have taken 47 shots from the filed to 29 for MSS.

More of the same in the 3rd quarter as the Shocks extend their lead to 71-40. So far the Shockers have played 12 players.
                              Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 4, 2021, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X