Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker Hall of Fame

Nominations Open for Shocker Hall of Fame

Wichita State Athletics is accepting public nominations for the 2022 Pizza Hut Shocker Sports Hall of Fame induction, Associate AD for Strategic Communications Tami Cutler announced today.

After the success the current crop of Softball seniors have had (2 NCAA Regional Finals) I wondered how many Shocker softball players are in the Shocker Hall of Fame.

The answer is: 1 (I guess, maybe, sort of)

Janet Kohl Hoskins (1968-72) was inducted in 2020 for Volleyball, Basketball, Softball and Field Hockey.. However, I think Janet was inducted primarily as a pioneer in Women's sports at WSU as she was on the first women's teams at WSU although she apparently was a pretty decent athlete.

We have had some very fine softball players at Wichita State over the years. Patty Bautista, Tina Lewis, Ashley Lynn, Lindsay Craig, Margo Pruis, Katie McGeeney, Britnee Barnett, Melanie Jaegers, Brittany Fortner and Katie Malone among those that may be eligible and no doubt a few others. Those not yet eligible might include Cacy Williams, Mackenzie Wright, Laurie Ann Derrico, Paige Luellen. From this year's team Madison "Butters" Perrigan will have to be in the conversation around 5 years from now. Perhaps Bailey Lange as well.

Not saying all these players should be in the Shocker Hall of Fame. Maybe none of them should be. Not sure what the criteria are that the softball players aren't living up to. Perhaps a lack of success at the national level is the issue. I think I will be a little disappointed if that doesn't change relatively soon. Especially when Butters become eligible.

Another sport that has no representation in the Shocker Hall of Fame is Women's golf. Now that one is tougher to come up with a list of names worthy of consideration. Not our strongest sport. Perhaps Taryn Torgerson will break that glass ceiling in a year or two when she becomes eligible. At least worthy of a nomination.

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    Nominations Open for Shocker Hall of Fame

Wichita State Athletics is accepting public nominations for the 2022 Pizza Hut Shocker Sports Hall of Fame induction, Associate AD for Strategic Communications Tami Cutler announced today.

After the success the current crop of Softball seniors have had (2 NCAA Regional Finals) I wondered how many Shocker softball players are in the Shocker Hall of Fame.

The answer is: 1 (I guess, maybe, sort of)

Janet Kohl Hoskins (1968-72) was inducted in 2020 for Volleyball, Basketball, Softball and Field Hockey.. However, I think Janet was inducted primarily as a pioneer in Women's sports at WSU as she was on the first women's teams at WSU although she apparently was a pretty decent athlete.

We have had some very fine softball players at Wichita State over the years. Patty Bautista, Tina Lewis, Ashley Lynn, Lindsay Craig, Margo Pruis, Katie McGeeney, Britnee Barnett, Melanie Jaegers, Brittany Fortner and Katie Malone among those that may be eligible and no doubt a few others. Those not yet eligible might include Cacy Williams, Mackenzie Wright, Laurie Ann Derrico, Paige Luellen. From this year's team Madison "Butters" Perrigan will have to be in the conversation around 5 years from now. Perhaps Bailey Lange as well.

Not saying all these players should be in the Shocker Hall of Fame. Maybe none of them should be. Not sure what the criteria are that the softball players aren't living up to. Perhaps a lack of success at the national level is the issue. I think I will be a little disappointed if that doesn't change relatively soon. Especially when Butters become eligible.

Another sport that has no representation in the Shocker Hall of Fame is Women's golf. Now that one is tougher to come up with a list of names worthy of consideration. Not our strongest sport. Perhaps Taryn Torgerson will break that glass ceiling in a year or two when she becomes eligible. At least worthy of a nomination.
    I'm not sure how much "National success" comes in to play. I believe their are 6? women's basketball players. How much national prominence did those teams or players have?

I believe we had a few players this year ranked among national leader boards (not that they were better than other players as the league one plays in should count, although the AAC did get 3 teams in the tourney).

Comment

Stunned Bautista isn’t in.

Comment

I was doing some research on another project and came to the opinion that had Paula Redo stayed here and not transferred after her freshman year, she would still be regarded along with Alex Harden as one of the top two women’s players in school history.

Comment

Some of those ladies you mentioned should definitely get in. Softball has been overlooked by many for a long time. Some of that may have just been bad teams, but in recent years, they've at least been competitive and had some really good players. Hope they see better attendance numbers next season.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
          X