#25/RV Shocker SB v #1/1 Oklahoma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #25/RV Shocker SB v #1/1 Oklahoma

The Shockers complete the non-conference portion of their schedule by hosting a single game against Oklahoma at 6 pm on Tuesday. Since the polls will not be released until later today, the rankings in the thread title are from last week. They will be close - very, very close in the case of Oklahoma.

The Sooners have a record of 39-1, their only loss being to Georgia. They are 14-0 in the Big XII. Ten of those fourteen wins have been by run-rule including all three wins against Texas. Their RPI is 7th.

On offense, they are beasts. The top six OPS in the BIG XII all belong to the Sooners. They range from Jocelyn Alo (1.794 and 25 homers) and freshman Tiare Jennings (1.665 and 22 homers) through Kinzie Hansen (1.424 and 15) and Grace Lyons (1.413 and 12) to Mackenzie Donihoo (1.378) and Jayda Coleman (1.335).

In the circle, Giselle Juarez (ERA of 1.96 and WHIP of 0.72) has the most starts. The Shocks are more likely to see either Shannon Saile (0.74 and 0.83) or Nicole May (1.64 and 1.00), each of whom has about half the starts of Juarez.

The Shocker offense is led by Neleigh (1.269 and nine homers), Addison (1.176 and twenty), Butters (1.109 and seventeen), and Sydney (1.106 and seven).

In the circle, the numbers are Bailey (2.25 and 1.08), Caitlin (2.32 and 1.36), and Erin (3.28 and 1.13). I wouldn't expect any of those numbers to improve today.

The current Shocker RPI is 26, the best in the AAC. Trailing are UCF at 35 and USF at 52.

As a side note, Arkansas canceled the DH that was originally on the schedule. They are #8/7 in the most recently available polls with an RPI of 5. They are not going to jeopardize their chances of hosting a Regional and Super Regional by coming here and losing even one game. Even two wins probably would not have helped them.
    Last edited by flyingMoose; May 4, 2021, 11:48 AM.

We will get a good idea of where this program is at today. It’s going to take a Herculean effort to go seven innings.

Comment

Looks like we are 25 in USA today/coaches.

Comment

Trying to think of a comparison here, but I feel like it best resembles a potential matchup between WSU and Kentucky in 2015.
        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
          Trying to think of a comparison here, but I feel like it best resembles a potential matchup between WSU and Kentucky in 2015.
          But hopefully the outcome is like this...

Wichita State vs. Gonzaga - Game Summary - March 23, 2013 - ESPN

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I would probably start Erin McDonald since she is our slowest pitcher. Tell her to take 10 miles per hour off of her normal pitches and the throw change ups off of that., Doesn't sound like you want to throw fast balls anywhere close to the strike zone against this Oklahoma team.

It will be interesting to see how the Shocker pitchers try to deal with the OU team.

Hopefully, our girls show were the correct uniform combination tonight. Something like this:

Comment

Looks like Shannon Saile in the circle for OU and Bailey Lange gets the call for the Shockers.

Comment

OU down in order in the 1st but score 4 in the 2nd although I thought they hit the ball harder in the 1st. The lead off ground ball single up the middle in the 2nd was well hit but other than that OU didn't hit the ball that hard in the 2nd. Shocks contributed with two walks, an error by Kaylee Huecker (ruled a hit, but that's ball Kaylee handles 99% of the time) and a blown run down.

Comment

We gifted them way too much in the 2nd.
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

The 4th starting to look like another inning we give away too much.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I know OU is really good and ranked #1, and has run ruled 75% of their opponents...but I guess my expectations were a little bit higher than this. Oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by BAShocker View Post
                        I know OU is really good and ranked #1, and has run ruled 75% of their opponents...but I guess my expectations were a little bit higher than this. Oh well.
                        Walks and errors have made this game what it is. Not that OU hasn't done some things, but WSU has taken any chance they had away from themselves.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

A couple of things this game does establish. #1 is that the last thing you need against a team like OU is a home plate umpire with a postage stamp strike zone and #2 is that with Bailey Lange moving on next year the Shockers are going to have to find some pitching.

In fact, for the Shockers to take that next step they need to find and develop better pitching.

Comment

This is analogous to our good Volleyball teams of past years facing Texas or Nebraska and then making a bunch of unforced errors
                            Last edited by shoxlax; May 4, 2021, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                              This is analogous to our good Volleyball teams of years facing Texas or Nebraska and then making a bunch of unforced errors
                              That is a good comparison. BTW, this Oklahoma team is one good looking college softball team.

Comment

Working...
                              X