#23/23 Shocker SB at Kansas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #23/23 Shocker SB at Kansas

The midweek matchup for the Shockers is a trip up the road for a single game at Kansas. The game has a 5 pm start and is on ESPN+.

The Jayhawks' overall record is 21-17 and 2-7 in the Big XII. They have lost twice to Arkansas and have a win over Tulsa. They took one of three from Oklahoma State, lost three to Oklahoma, and got one win in the Texas Tech series in conference play.

The leading hitters for KU are Morgyn Wynne (OPS of 1.206 and fifteen homers), Sydnee Ramsey (1.098 and seven), and Ashlyn Anderson (1.001 and eight).

Tatum Goff (ERA of 3.59 and WHIP of 1.19) and Hailey Reed (4.27 and 1.78) have most of the starts. Kasey Hamilton (4.06 and 1.68) has about the same number of innings and appears to be the primary reliever.

There are five Shockers with an OPS above 1.000 in overall play. The top three are Neleigh (1.287 and eight homers), Addison (1.216 and eighteen), and Butters (1.114 and twelve). Sydney (1.091) and Ryleigh (1.033 and eight) are also part of the OPS group.

Bailey (1.82 and 1.06), Caitlin (1.55 and 1.29), and Erin (3.41 and 1.16) are the pitchers in innings order.
    Last edited by flyingMoose; April 20, 2021, 01:05 PM.

I wonder if the Shocks will give Erin McDonald some work in this game. Obviously, they want to win every game that can for at-large resume strengthening and they may need at some point yet this season.

Erin has not pitched since April 10th vs Houston.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      I wonder if the Shocks will give Erin McDonald some work in this game. Obviously, they want to win every game that can for at-large resume strengthening and they may need at some point yet this season.

Erin has not pitched since April 10th vs Houston.
      With USF and the games that "really count" coming up, I could see Erin getting the start, I could see Caitlin getting the start (since she would not pitch again until Saturday, but she did pitch 10+ innings last Sunday), or I could see Bailey and Caitlin splitting the innings by design.

Unless Erin is hurt, she needs to get some real-game work in the circle to be more useful down the road. As you mentioned last weekend, Erin warmed up some. Because she is not hurt, or because she needed to see if she could go?

Comment

Is there a recommended pitch count in softball. I noticed over the weekend they were still throwing after 125+ pitches. More shoulder than elbow?

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
          Is there a recommended pitch count in softball. I noticed over the weekend they were still throwing after 125+ pitches. More shoulder than elbow?
          I have never heard of any firm recommendations. But these ladies can throw a ton of pitches. Both the pitchers in Sunday's finale threw 11 innings after both pitching 7 innings in the 1st game of Saturday's doubleheader. Caitlyn Binghman there 85+106 - 191 over those back-to-back days and Alea White of UCF threw 106 +130 = 236 and White was probably the stronger of the 2 pitchers by the end of Sundays 11 inning marathon.

There may be some out limit but obviously this is a much different animal than a baseball pitcher. I would would say less stress on both the shoulder and the elbow. And a whole lot of ball movement. Not at all easy to hit a good pitcher with a mix of pitches and who changes speeds. Drop ball, curveball, rise ball, screwball, change ups plus, of course the fast ball.

Comment

Shocks fall at KU 5-2 in a somewhat lackluster game. Bailey and Caitlyn pitched for the Shocks and Fr. Kasey Hamilton went the distance for KU and was very good.

Bailey and Caitlyn pitched okay but most of the damage KU did on offense was self-inflicted. KU really did not hit the ball all that well or hard.

The Shocks continue to struggle at the plate for the 3rd game in a row. After two strike outs in the 3rd the Shocks did load the bases on back-to-back singles by Sidney and Addison plus a walk to Buttters but Neleigh struck out and looked bad doing it although she had plenty of company as the Shocks struck out 9 times in this game. Shocks seemed to have forgot what is a good pitch and what is not a good pitch. The only scoring for the Shocks came in the 6th on a lead-off single by Addison who was 2 for 3 on a home run to right center by Butters.

Makes you wonder if their isn't finally a book out on how to effectively pitch to this Shocker team. Shocks have a tough chore this weekend as they will face one of the better ptichers in the country in Georgina Corrick. I assume they will see her twice this weekend. Not the kind of pitcher you can get well against.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 22, 2021, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Wichita State Softball
              @GoShockersSB

Your nightly #SCTop10 play brought to you by Sydney McKinney.
              @sydneyrmckinney

https://twitter.com/i/status/1385002595941560321

Comment

Comment

Working...
                X