Shocker SB v Kansas City

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker SB v Kansas City

The Shockers have a DH against the Roos of Kansas City on Tuesday with a 4 pm start. (The school is UM-KC, but the athletic teams are Kansas City.)

(The rankings do not normally appear until a Tuesday afternoon, but my schedule does not allow me to wait that long for this write-up. When the rankings appear, the edit will follow.)

KC have a record of 18-15 and 2-6 in the Summit League. They have played a decent schedule with a loss to #1 Oklahoma, a split with #6 Oklahoma State, and a loss to #15 Arkansas. Only one of those three losses was by run-rule. They took one of three from Kansas this past weekend. Earlier in the season, they also lost to the Shocks.

The two Roos with an OPS above .900 are Lia Lombardini (1.092 and four homers) and Ally Vonfeldt (1.063 and eleven homers). The two starters have been Mia Hoveland (ERA of 4.04 and WHIP of 1.61) and Camryn Stickel (3.75 and 1.51).

The Shockers have a record of 28-5 and 11-1 in the AAC, good for first place.

The four Shockers with an OPS above 1.000 (and enough PA to "qualify") are Neleigh (1.449 and eight homers), Addison (1.291 and sixteen), Butters (1.234 and twelve), and Sydney (1.158). LoLo has the highest OPS on the team but lost her DP spot for a time and does not have enough plate appearances to get herself off the "gray" list.

The leaders in the circle in innings order are Bailey (1.95 and 1.12), Erin (3.41 and 1.16), and Caitlin (1.86 and 1.45).
    Last edited by flyingMoose; April 12, 2021, 09:29 AM.

The schedule has been changed from a doubleheader to a single game starting at 4:00pm.

Wichita State welcomes Kansas City to Wilkins Stadium for a midweek matchup, concluding the current homestand. The Shockers and Roos will play one game with first pitch at 4 p.m.

• Head Coach Kristi Bredbenner is one win away from her 600th career coaching victory.

• Freshman Addison Barnard tied the single season home run record on April 11 vs. Houston with her 16th home run of the season. Cacy Williams set the mark with 16.

Comment

Caitlyn Bingham in the circle for the Shockers.

Addison Barnard dents the scoreboard in the bottom of the 1st with her 17 home run of the season breaking the previous single season record she shared with Cacy Williams. This one to right field which is not real common for her but which I think is a good sign.

Back-to-back-to-back 2-out singles by Neleigh, Ryleigh and Bailee tacked on a second run as the Shocks lead 2-0 after 1 inning of play.

In the top of the 2nd a 2-out double, a wild pitch and a single to center scores a run for KC. Shocks lead 2-1 after 2.

A Bailee Nickerson home run left center leading off the bottom of the 4th puts the Shocks up 3-1. However, KC ties ties it with 2 in the top of the 5th on back-to-back singles and a double with 1 out. Deadlocked at 3-all after 5 innings.

A Ryleigh Buck home run to right center leading off the bottom of the 6th puts the Shocks back up at 4-3.

Bailey Lange on to pitch the 7th for the Shocks. Top of the order up for KC. Bailey works a quick 1-2-3 inning to pick up the save. Caitlyn gets the win.

Shocks did just enough but this KC team can be a tough out in a single game situation.

On to Orlando for a key 4-game series with UCF this weekend.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 13, 2021, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Looks like we have some killer B’s!

Comment

This from a young lady who just hoped she would get to do some pinch running this year. Not sure how much running she is doing but she is doing a lot of trotting.

Comment

BTW, congrats to Coach Bredbenner on her 600th career coaching victory.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
              This from a young lady who just hoped she would get to do some pinch running this year. Not sure how much running she is doing but she is doing a lot of trotting.

One of the Bash Sisters!

Comment

The Shockers are 25/RV28 in the two primary polls. UCF is 23/25. In D1Softball, the two teams are 20 and 23.
                Last edited by flyingMoose; April 14, 2021, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                  The Shockers are 25/RV28 in the two primary polls. UCF is 23/25. in D1Softball, the two teams are 20 and 23.
                  Showdown this coming weekend in Orlando.

Comment

https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...250633844.html

The text follows. You miss the ads that way, but I can only do so much. :)

How Wichita State softball earned its first top 25 ranking with record-setting offense

For the first time in program history, the Wichita State softball team is ranked in the top 25.

After a four-game sweep of Houston at home, the Shockers earned a No. 25 ranking in the coaches’ poll released on Tuesday. WSU is 28-5 overall and in first place in the American Athletic Conference with an 11-1 record entering this weekend’s series at Central Florida.

WSU has achieved its success this season in record-setting fashion, as the Shockers’ 68 home runs in 33 games have already surpassed the school and conference single-season records. WSU’s offense is on pace to re-write almost every offensive record in both program and conference history.

“This is everything that I’ve wanted to do when I came to Wichita State,” said senior Madison Perrigan, who has hit 12 of those homers. “From the very beginning when I first got here, I told coach (Kristi) Bredbenner that I wanted to go to the College World Series. Whatever I had to do to get there was what I wanted to do.

“Now seeing us in the top 25 rankings and breaking records, I’m just really excited for the future. Little girls in Wichita can see that this success is possible. Coach always tells us, ‘Leave it better than you found it.’ I hope that’s exactly what me and my class are going to do for Wichita State.”

Last spring’s disappointing 11-16 campaign before the season was canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic didn’t exactly predict a national ranking and record-setting offense was coming this spring.

So what changed?

“I think bottom line our kids for two years now have not been able to finish a season on their own,” Bredbenner said, a reference to 2019, when weather canceled the conference tournament with WSU in the semifinals. “If COVID has taught us anything, it’s that anything can be taken away from us pretty quickly. So I think these girls are just motivated to make the most of every day. We knew the talent that we had and that we underachieved last spring, so they don’t want that feeling to happen again.”

Bredbenner said another reason why WSU’s hitting has vastly improved this season is an upgrade in technology to a video scouting system that significantly cuts down the time spent cutting up videos for the coaching staff and feeds the players more information.

While the power hitting will draw the headlines — and rightfully so because WSU has 26 more home runs than any other team in the conference — but equally as important, WSU leads the conference with 145 walks. The Shockers also rank first in batting average (.333), on-base percentage (.439), slugging percentage (.638) and runs scored (252).

“It’s insane because it can show you exactly what the pitchers are throwing and how many times she goes in a certain direction against right-handed batters and left-handed batters,” Perrigan said. “I’d say nine times out of 10, the scouting report is going to be 100% correct when you’re up at bat. It’s been awesome.”

Another reason for WSU becoming the most dangerous offense in the American? The team’s improved strength and conditioning program under Hannah Wilkinson, who is WSU’s lead coordinator for women’s basketball, softball and volleyball.

Bredbenner has been impressed by the detail in Wilkinson’s workouts.

“She’s willing to put in the time and she really challenges the girls,” Bredbenner said. “A lot of times teams will get into a season and you’ll cut back on that strength and conditioning piece. But if we have three or four days off, Hannah is using all of them. She’ll be doing something to get them better, bigger, stronger, faster and stretch out and be mobile.”

Wilkinson has earned the trust of the athletes because of her past as a Division I volleyball player.

“A big reason is that it’s a female working with females,” Perrigan said. “We know that she completely understands our bodies and being a former Division I athlete, she knows what it takes to play at this level.

“We have a team saying that ‘mass is gas.’ The more mass you have, the stronger you’re going to be. She actually had to tell us this past week in the weight room to cut down on the weight because we were wanting to go up so much. She’s very smart about how she wants us to get stronger and she does a great job with us.”

It’s not just one or two hitters who are leading the long ball parade for WSU. While Addison Barnard (16 homers, sixth-most) and Perrigan (12 homers, 18th-most) both chart among the nation’s leaders, WSU’s entire lineup has been going yard this season.

Neleigh Herring, who is hitting .451, and Lauren Mills both have eight homers, while Ryleigh Buck has seven, Sydney McKinney, who is hitting a team-best .462, has five long balls, Bailee Nickerson has hit four and Kaylee Huecker and Jessica Garcia have both hit three.

That’s a credit to WSU swing coach Elizabeth Economon, who was a college teammate of Bredbenner and has been with the staff for the last four seasons.

“She keeps it simple for the girls,” Bredbenner said. “She’s not one to micromanage a swing. She takes the swing that a girl brings with her to college and then creates a good plan for it and a path for them to have success.

“We came up the ranks together at the D2 level and I know first-hand that she’s willing to put in the time to be successful. She spends hour throwing (batting practice) to hitters and anybody who wants to get in extra cuts. Nothing is too small for her and that’s why she’s successful.”
                    Last edited by flyingMoose; April 14, 2021, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Kristi has been an absolute find for WSU and I hope she's taken care of.
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I could be reading her wrong, but she doesn't seem like Walton who was looking for the first stage coach out of Wichita to Florida. Can you say, stepping stone? I'm sure she has an ego, etc. but not like he did, and I'm not saying he was a bad guy, just not a loyal one to anyone but himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                          I could be reading her wrong, but she doesn't seem like Walton who was looking for the first stage coach out of Wichita to Florida. Can you say, stepping stone? I'm sure she has an ego, etc. but not like he did, and I'm not saying he was a bad guy, just not a loyal one to anyone but himself.
                          I think Kristi is absolutely content to remain in Wichita, but we still need to make sure she's rewarded and taken care of. There will be offers. You don't necessarily have to match or exceed all offers, but if she ever feels she's being taken advantage of, she'd absolutely take another opportunity.
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Another reason for WSU becoming the most dangerous offense in the American? The team’s improved strength and conditioning program under Hannah Wilkinson, who is WSU’s lead coordinator for women’s basketball, softball and volleyball.

“She’s willing to put in the time and she really challenges the girls,” Bredbenner said. “A lot of times teams will get into a season and you’ll cut back on that strength and conditioning piece. But if we have three or four days off, Hannah is using all of them. She’ll be doing something to get them better, bigger, stronger, faster and stretch out and be mobile.”

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Hannah Wilkinson - Assistant Athletic Director for Health & Wellness/Associate Head of Strength & Conditioning - Staff Directory - Wichita State Athletics (goshockers.com)
                              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                              X