Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
    See Post #11.
    Yes, that covers it if the pitch was ruled in the batters box which I think it was. If the ump thought the pitch was in the "river" then she does have to attempt to avoid being hit although that rule may not apply in NCAA softball games.

In any case, glad we got that call, despite the objection so the Omaha coach, or we might still be playing. Omaha still has scored a run today.

Comment

North Texas after scoring 5 unearned runs against Omaha scores 4 unearned runs in the bottom the the first against Missouri State. UNT loaded the bases with 3 consecutive singles with 1 out. After a strike out MSU had a chance to escape the jam. A throwing error by the MSU shortstop scored two runs with runners on the corners. A double steal plated the 3rd run of the inning and then another single on an 0-2 pitch scored the 4th run of the inning.

Trailing 4-1 MSU loaded the bases in the top of the 4th with one out but two strike outs, the second of which was on 4 pitches without swinging the bat, ended the threat an the score remains 4-1 in favor of UNT.

MSU picks up a couple of runs in the 6th but could not overcome the 4 unearned runs scored by UNT in the 1st although the blew a great opportunity in the 4th.

Final: UNT 4 - MSU 3

Seems like defensive miscues have contributed greatly to the outcome of the first 3 games today.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 11, 2021, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Missouri State at Shockers

In a bit of a surprise, Caitlin has the start for the Shocks. Augusta HS alum, Gracie Johnston, has the start for the Bears. If I recall, a rise ball is her out pitch.

In the bottom of the first, Sydney triples, Addison walks and steals second and Butters brings everyone home with a blast over the left-center field wall. Neleigh follows with a long fly ball to the track in center field that the outfielder hauled in by taking the Great Circle route. Shocks, 3-0 after one.
        Last edited by flyingMoose; March 11, 2021, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Looks like the wind this game is blowing more out of the east more or less form the right field corner to the left field corner. In any case, Butters looked like she got all of that 3-run homer in the 1st.

Really nice change up by Caitlyn for the strikeout to get the 2nd out of the 2nd and a really nice scoop and tag on a short hop throw by Sydney to get the runner attempting to steal second for the final out of the MSU 2nd.

Butters took have the season RBI lead from Addison with her 3-run homer in the 1st. In the bottom of the 2nd looked like MSU semi-intentionally walked Sydney with runners on 2nd and 3rd with 1 out to load the bases. Addison not willing to defer to her elders unloaded the bases with a grand slam to retake the season RBI lead 21-19 over Butters. Addison's homer was pretty much a mirror image of the home Butters hit as well. Pretty much no doubters to the left center power alley. Note that Addsion has played in 3 fewer games than Butters. Butters may have trouble catching Addison this year considering Addison is batting in front of Butters and tends to remove the potential RBI's before Butters can get to them.

The Shocks not letting up. Neleigh and LoLo (pinch hitting for Camryn) decide to get in on the act with a 2-run homer and 3-run homer (still in the 2nd inning).. Both of their homers were about 25-30 feet right of dead center and they did have some wind resistance. Neleigh got under her's a little bit and it looked like it just got out. LoLo's was a no doubter. It even sounded like a no doubter.

That was kind of mean of Wylie. Bunting for a base hit but it was a very well executed drag bunt.

Shocks sent 16 batters to the plate in the 2nd.

BTW, with her base loaded walk in the 2nd Butters has passed Paige Luellen for the top spot in career RBI. That was Butters 154th career RBI.

Shocks need to open that shutter or lens on the camera once it gets dark.

Looks like HCKB getting some live game experience for a bunch of the youngsters. Bailey Urban has replaced Addison in right, Jessica Garcia has replaced Butters at catcher, Paige Rocha has replaced Ryleigh at 3rd, Lauren Johnson has replaced Bailee in center, Sydney Nichols has replaced Kaylee at 2nd, and Lauren Lucas has replaced Wylie in left.

In the bottom of the 4th after the home plate ump reported to the MSU coach that HCKB had inserted Madyson Espinosa to pinch hit for Neleigh the MSU coach went out to HCKB in the 3rd base coaching box and said something. I guessing something like "I think you've played about everyone on my lineup card coach, thanks for calling off the dogs" or something along those lines.

After giving up a couple of runs in the 3rd following the long, long Shocker at bat in the 2nd Caitlyn set down the last 7 batters she faced to close out the 13-2 five inning run rule. A decent outing for Caitlyn. I'm encouraged by her recent efforts.

I'm thinking this MSU mauling may tell us something about the quality of pitching the Shocks saw in Game 1 this morning. Of course, the conditions were much less conducive to hitting this morning than this evening.

I am guessing that is the last games we get in this weekend. Glad they could get 2 games in for each team today.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 11, 2021, 07:26 PM.

Comment

While Butters is now the Shocker career home run and RBI leader she should enjoy them while she can. They may not last but a few more years with the way Addison Barnard's hot start to her career although I have no doubt she we'll cool off a bit at some point. She is listed on the roster at 5'6" and doesn't particularly look like she would be a masher. But she has a nice compact and quick batting stroke and I think she may be a lot stronger that she may look from a distance.

Looking at the picture below she actually looks like she is not a skinny minny. In fact, she looks very solidly put together with strong arms and perhaps most importantly a very solid and strong lower body. In any case, she generates some pretty good pop in a relatively small package. Perhaps in 4 years we will be calling her the Female Standiford Stand-In.

Comment

flyingMoose what are your thoughts on the Shocker pitching so far this year. Currently, the Shocks have team ERA of 2.10 and a team WHIP of 1.13 which seems very good especially considering the Shocks don't have a full time pitching coach. The Shocks do have 2nd year grad assistant, Presley Bell, who was a pretty solid pitcher for Houston prior to that.

In last year's 27-game Covid shortened season the Shocks had a 5.84 ERA and a 1.84 WHIP.

Is this mostly a matter of perhaps a somewhat weak schedule so far or do you see some real improvement?

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                flyingMoose what are your thoughts on the Shocker pitching so far this year. Currently, the Shocks have team ERA of 2.10 and a team WHIP of 1.13 which seems very good especially considering the Shocks don't have a full time pitching coach. The Shocks do have 2nd year grad assistant, Presley Bell, who was a pretty solid pitcher for Houston prior to that.

In last year's 27-game Covid shortened season the Shocks had a 5.84 ERA and a 1.84 WHIP.

Is this mostly a matter of perhaps a somewhat weak schedule so far or do you see some real improvement?
                Things I have heard mentioned in Shocker site articles, podcasts:

With HCKB being a former catcher, she appears to be the pitch-caller now. But more importantly, the pitchers themselves have a lot of say about what they throw. Consequently, they have to take more ownership of the result. I think much of having their say is in-game (that pitch is not working so well, I want to throw this pitch).

It sounds like Pressley is emphasizing some fundamentals in her work, and it seems like she is helping and the pitchers are listening to her.

Bailey struggled with illegal pitches last year and seems to have gotten that mechanic fixed. (But look at the Gallery for SDS Game One, Picture #5 - Oops!)

I think all of the pitching is better (well, we have barely seen Hailey and no freshmen at all). I don't think a weaker schedule is the primary factor. I think they are just pitching with more confidence and ownership.

All IMHO.
                Last edited by flyingMoose; March 12, 2021, 01:33 PM.

Comment

The remainder of the tournament has been canceled.

Comment

After 16 games the Lady Shockers have connected for 34 home runs. Their opponents have hit 6.

The Shockers' team record for most home runs in a season is 59 in 2018 the year they made the regional finals in Arkansas. Hard to believe that record is not in serious jeopardy this year although I don't expect the Shocks will be able to maintain the current pace as I do think the schedule from here on out will present more of a consistent challenge for the Shocks. But the real key to how the Shocks fare going forward will probably be how their pitching holds up in AAC play and against what appears to a pretty solid slate of remaining non-con games including Oklahoma State x 3, Oklahoma, Kansas City x 3, UTSA x 2, Kansas, and Arkansas x 2 in Wichita to close out the regular season.

UCF, the preseason favorite in the AAC, is 13-3 and knocked #2 ranked Arizona 2-0 a few days ago.

The Shocks were picked to finish 5th in the 7 team AAC (now that UConn is no longer in the league). Cincinnati, SMU, Temple and Tulane do not field softball teams. Last year the Shocks had the worst record in non-conference play. The season was cancelled before AAC play started.

Comment

Madison Perrigan Chosen for American Player of the Week
                      Bailey Lange on Honor Roll Again

https://goshockers.com/news/2021/3/1...-the-week.aspx

Senior Madison Perrigan picked up her first American Athletic Conference Player of the Week award of the 2021 season on Monday, while Bailey Lange was named to the Weekly Honor Roll for the fourth consecutive week.

Perrigan was 5-for-10 at the plate in Wichita State's four games last week with two home runs, a triple, a double, two walks and five RBI. The Mustang, Okla., native hit a three-run home run in the Shockers' 13-2 win over Missouri State. Perrigan is currently riding a nine-game hit streak and also became Wichita State's all-time RBI leader in the contest vs. Missouri State.

Lange made two starts in the circle, going 1-1 with 13 strikeouts, allowing four runs. The Sioux Falls, S.D., native threw a complete game shutout with six strikeouts in Wichita State's 1-0 win vs. Omaha.

Comment

Working...
                      X