Shocker SB v South Dakota State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker SB v South Dakota State

On Tuesday, the Shockers welcome the Jackrabbits of South Dakota State for a DH. The start time for the first game is 3 pm.

SDS is a member of the Summitt League where they were a preseason pick for second place of the seven teams. Their current record is 9-1 with a season-opening loss to Iowa State, 4-2. Their two tournaments were at the UNI Dome and at the Colorado Classic (Northern Colorado). There the Jackrabbits had a victory over Oregon State, RV in the ESPN Poll.

Grace Glanzer, a returning freshman pitcher, and Cylie Halvorson were Players to Watch in the Summitt.

Glanzer already has a no-hitter this season in their 7-0 win over Oregon State. She has an ERA of 1.93 and a WHIP of 0.97. Toni Kniesche is the other primary arm for SDS. Her numbers are 1.17 and 1.13.

Offensive leaders are Rozelyn Carillo (OPS of 1.287 and three home runs), Halvorson (1.178 and four homers), Peyton Daugherty (1.058), and Allison Yoder (1.000).

The Shocks are led offensively by Addison (1.576 and six home runs), Neleigh (1.547 and three homers), and Lauren (1.434 and five homers). Lauren only had two singles in eleven ABs this past weekend, however. Bailee and Sydney are two other Shockers with an OPS above 1.000.

Bailey (0.91 and 1.00) and Erin (3.59 and 1.22) each have five starts for the Shocks. If you eliminate the Texas outing by Erin, her numbers are 1.88 and 0.94. Caitlin in limited innings is 0.62 and 1.50.

After their games on Tuesday, SDS travel to Lawrence for a DH with KU on Thursday. The Jackrabbits appear to be a formidable opponent.
    Last edited by flyingMoose; March 7, 2021, 08:32 PM.

Game One

Bailey and Glanzer are in the respective circles. No surprise there.

Neleigh is the DH replacing Lauren. Camryn Compton is at first. Kaylee remains at second. I say "remains" because she may not hit her weight.

Technical difficulties with the video at the moment.

Two of the umpires are from the area.
    Last edited by flyingMoose; March 9, 2021, 03:14 PM.

Comment

A one-out single and a two-out homer get the Jackrabbits on the board. There may be more than a few home runs today.

Sydney leads off with a walk and advances on a ground ball but is stranded. SDS leads 2-0 after one.

The video is up. On the two pitches I saw to Ryleigh, it appears that a really good curve may be Glanzer's go-to pitch.
      Last edited by flyingMoose; March 9, 2021, 03:19 PM.

Comment

In the SDS second with one out, a single, walk, and single load the bases. A sac fly plates a third run for the Jackrabbits.

Glanzer threw some nice change-ups to Neleigh. Three up, three down. 3-0 SDS after two complete.

A leadoff double in the third for SDS does not score. Three up, three down again for the Shocks. Still 3-0 after three.

The curve for Glanzer is a hard curve sometimes and a soft curve others. Changing speeds appears to be her forte. She gets a lot of ground balls.

In the fourth, a leadoff hit-batter advances to third but no further. The last out of the SDS half is out for hitting the ball while out of the batter's box, not anything else you might read.

Butters has a solo shot down the left field line. Jackrabbits lead 3-1 after four.

SDS gets the run back in the top of the fifth: single, single, sac fly. A leadoff walk for the Shocks goes nowhere. 4-1 after five.

After five innings, the Shocker batters have generated ten ground outs, four flyouts, and one strikeout.

Two outs in the top of the sixth and then a hit batter. Still no three-up, three-down from Bailey.

In the bottom of the sixth, Sydney has a lead-off single and Addison follows with a homer. 4-3 SDS after six complete.

In the seventh, SDS gets a runner to third with one out, but the threat dies with a lineout and ground out. Forthe Shocks, three up, three down.

South Dakota State 4-3 Shockers

Eight hits for the Jackrabbits and they bunched enough of them together to generate the four runs. Glanzer gave up four hits and two walks, striking out only one. The final total is fourteen ground outs, six flyouts, and one strike out.

Bailey gave eight hits, one walk and had seven strikeouts. She never had a three-up, three-down inning. Glanzer had three.

Butters and Addison drove in all the Shocker runs with their homers.
        Last edited by flyingMoose; March 9, 2021, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Addison hit that one in the right direction. Not sure any Shocker has ever gotten their career off to a better start than Addison. Hope I didn't just jinx her but she has a nice looking swing.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
            The curve for Glanzer is a hard curve sometimes and a soft curve others. Changing speeds appears to be her forte. She gets a lot of ground balls.
            I'll bet Glanzer didn't mind at all pitching into this strong wind if she relies on movement.

Shocks need to come back in Game 2 and get a split.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
              Addison hit that one in the right direction. Not sure any Shocker has ever gotten their career off to a better start than Addison. Hope I didn't just jinx her but she has a nice looking swing.
              It looked like she got a hanging slow curve, and she didn't miss it.

Comment

I'll bet Glanzer didn't mind at all pitching into this strong wind if she relies on movement.
                I am told that a lot of ground balls is a sign of being out in front of the pitch. The Shocks just rarely got her timed out.

Comment

I was a little surprised that HCKB did not pinch hit for Wylie in that final at bat of the game. Maybe with LoLo assuming she was available.

Looked to me like Camryn Compton struck the ball very well leading off the 7th but right at the 3B who was probably playing no doubles.

Comment

Game Two

Erin is in the circle for the Shocks and Conard, a far down the list #3, is in the circle for SDS. The two prime pitchers for the Jackrabbits have three times as many innings.

That was ugly. A hit batter, stolen base and ground out put a Jackrabbitt at third. A high pop-up on the infield is caught by nobody for a single. The ball was between Camryn and the circle, but nobody took charge. 1-0 as we go to the bottom of the first.

With two outs, Butters triples off the wall in right-center. Was that ball catchable? It looked like the right fielder was there and got a bit lost, but it is hard to tell. Neleigh follows with a single up the middle to tie the game at 1-1 after one.

Another hit batter to lead off the second. When that happens, our pitchers are not messing around. The batter had no place to hide. A single moves the runner to third, but Erin gets a strikeout to end the inning.

Bailee walks and Camryn singles to start the Shocker second. A sac bunt by Kaylee moves them up a base. A sac fly to the wall in left by Wylie scores Bailee. Shocks lead 2-1 after two.

This is it for me. I have places to go and things to do. Carry on, someone.
                    Last edited by flyingMoose; March 9, 2021, 05:46 PM.

Comment

I saw very little of the 1st game but is the same umpire behind the plate in this game?

Comment

I saw very little of the 1st game but is the same umpire behind the plate in this game?
                        No. They rotate clockwise from game-to-game. And you ask because ...?
                        Last edited by flyingMoose; March 9, 2021, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Okay, so I lied. Maybe I can make it through the third.

Erin gives up a walk but has two strikeouts in the top half. After a walk to Addison to open the bottom of the third, SDS brings on their other #1 pitcher in relief. She appears to be more of a power pitcher, getting two strikeouts among the three outs, Still 2-1 Shockers after three.

In the top of the fourth, a DP started by Ryleigh wipes out the leadoff single and ends the inning. The first out by SDS was a pop-up caught by Ryleigh, though it certainly became an adventure in the wind.

Now it is time to go.
                          Last edited by flyingMoose; March 9, 2021, 06:12 PM.

Comment

No. They rotate clockwise from game-to-game. And you ask because ...?
                            Home plate umpire looked like the same guy form the first game (in terms of stature, build and style).. But again I did not see much of the 1st game.

Comment

Okay, so I lied. Maybe I can make it through the third.

Erin gives up a walk but has two strikeouts in the top half. After a walk to Addison to open the bottom of the third, SDS brings on their other #1 pitcher in relief. She appears to be more of a power pitcher, getting two strikeouts among the three outs, Still 2-1 Shockers after three.

In the top of the fourth, a DP started by Ryleigh wipes out the leadoff single and ends the inning. The first out by SDS was a pop-up caught by Ryleigh, though it certainly became an adventure in the wind.

Now it is time to go.
                              Kaylee extends the Shocker lead to 3-1 in the bottom of the 4th with a 2-out home run to left. Wylie follows with an infield single and stole second but was SISP when Sydney struck out to end the inning.

In the top of the 5th Erin retires the 1st 2 'rabbits but hen hits the next two with a passed ball on Butters moving the runners into scoring position. The scoring on the passed ball was a questionable to me. The pitch to the right handed hitter was very much up and away and Butters had to come up out her crouch and reach across her body as it ticked of the end of her glove. I would have scored that a wild pitch not that it makes any difference. Same outcome either way. And that outcome wasn't good as the next 'rabbit singled to left center scoring the trying runs before getting a strike out to end the inning. Pretty disappointing inninf for Erin.

The video quality has dropped significantly as the sun has gone down. Pretty dark.

Ashely leads off the bottom half of the 5th we a walk. The Shocks need the heart of the lineup to deliver here. Butters had couple of good cuts on pitches she fouled off but on a 2-2 count was called out looking. Neleigh, however, picked her teammate up as she took an 0-1 pitch out to left center. I was unable to follow it much but the crowd seemed to know it immediately and the 'rabbit outfielders looked like they pretty much knew it as well. Shocks lead 5-3.

Erin has her 2-run cushion restored. Hopefully, she can hold on to it this time. I would help if she quits bouncing balls of 'rabbit hitters. She has found the range on 4 'rabbits so far but has only walked 1.

Make that 2 walks for Erin as she puts the 'rabbit lead off hitter on in the 6th. HCKB brings in Caitlyn in relief of Erin. Erin actually did reasonable well to give up 6 free passes in 5 innings and only allow 3 runs to score on with the wind blowing out as it is. All 3 runs that the 'rabbits have scored so far were players that were hit by pitches. It is really difficult to see much on the video now. Relying mostly on live stats.

Caitlyn gets a fielder's choice out at 2nd on a grounder to 3rd. The next two batters popped out to Camryn at 1st and popped out in foul territory to Wylie in right. Nice job by Caitlyn.

8-9-1 dud up for the Shockers in the bottom of the 6th. Kaylee strikes out but Wylie draws a walk out of the 9-hole. Back to the top of the lineup with Sydney. Sydney grounds into a force out at 2nd and Addison pops a foul to the 3rd baseman.

On to the 7th. Caitlyn gets the lead off batter on a grounder to 1st unassisted but then walks the next batter on a full count bringing theyoing run to the plate for the 'rabbits. A 4-3 ground out advances the runner to 2nd with 2 outs. The important run is the one at the plate. The batter made solid contact but lined out to left to end the game. Shocks win 5-3. Nice work by Caitlyn.

I will take a split in this doubleheader. South Dakota State looks to be a solid team and I would expect them to win a lot of games in the Summit this year.
                              Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 9, 2021, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X