2020-21 Shocker Women's Tennis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020-21 Shocker Women's Tennis

The Lady Shockers are struggling a bit this year. The are 3-8 with wins over former Valley foes Missouri State and Drake and a win over D-2 Newman University. However, the haven't fared as well against better competition losing matches to Iowa State (0-7), Louisville (1-6), Arkansas (1-6), Kansas (3-4), K-State (1-4), Abilene Christian (2-4), Rice (1-4) and Arizona (0-4).

Last year's Covid shortened season was the Shocker's first losing season since 2003-04 after which Chris Young took over ther program and had a .500 season his 1st year and winning seasons his final 4 years after which current Shocker Head Coach Colin Foster followed with 10 winning seasons before last year's losing season. Of course, most of those seasons were as members of the MVC where the Shocks totally dominated. However, Coach Foster has long scheduled tough competition in the non-con and made it to the round of 32 in the 2018 NCAA Tournament. Coach Young also had a team to the round of 32 in the 2007 NCAA Tournament.

The Shocks take on fellow AAC member Houston this morning in Houston in what appears to be a bit of a down period for Shocker women's tennis. Also the competition in the AAC it is fare tougher than what the Shocks faced in the MVC. And as you can see above Coach Foster still scheduling tough in the non-con.

The Shocks have won the doubles point aganst Houston losing 3-6 in #3 doubles, winning 6-4 in #2 doubles and winning in a tiebreaker in #1 doubles 7-6 (7-4 in the tiebreaker). Now can the Shocks win 3 of the 6 singles matches.

After 1 set Houston leading 5 of the 6 singles matches.

Houston has won the #6, #4 and #5 singles in straight sets and won the match 4-1 with a 3 set win at #3 singles. The Shocks were leading in the 3rd sets of the #1 and #2 singles when Houston clinched the win.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 28, 2021, 02:42 PM.

We seem to be getting way too much of this lately. Are you sure Kung Wu that you don't want a "view only period" before allowing posting. Maybe it just bugs me because I look at all the threads.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
      We seem to be getting way too much of this lately. Are you sure Kung Wu that you don't want a "view only period" before allowing posting. Maybe it just bugs me because I look at all the threads.
      Researching ....
      Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Shockers Pick Up Win Over #45 Jayhawks 4-3

Freshman Jessie Zheng cliched the match over No. 45 Kansas by winning a three-set dual on the fifth line, giving the Shockers their first ranked win since 2019 at the Coleman Tennis Complex on Saturday.

The Shocker women's tennis team have been struggling some this year so this is a really nice win for them and the fact KU was the victim makes it just that much sweeter.

Head Coach Colin Foster
        "When the losses start to accumulate, it's human nature to perhaps doubt yourself or lose some belief, but this group has remained resilient and determined. Our doubles have been competitive all season, so it's no surprise that we continue to do well in that area. In singles, Sarvi has lost to that opponent a handful of times and they know each other well, so she had a good plan and played with great composure and strength. I didn't see any of Tina's match, but I heard her and when she's being a vocal leader it not only helps her but everyone around her. Natsu continues to fight hard, and even though she lost by her extending that match to a third set, it took the pressure off Jessie early in her third set. And finally, for Jessie to be in that situation and find a way to overcome nerves and pressure as a freshman against a good opponent, I'm just really happy for her and this group."

"I also want to shout out the great turnout from our fans and specifically to our men's team. They were out here at nine this morning getting after it on the practice courts and stayed and brought great energy until the final point."

Comment

Shockers Grab Senior Day Win Over Depaul

Wichita State women's tennis won their second match in a row by downing DePaul on Senior Day, 5-2, at the Coleman Tennis Complex on Wednesday afternoon.

The Ladys Shocks opened the season with ho-hum wins over Missouri State and Newman then lost 11 of their next 12. By downing DePaul on Senior Day, 5-2 at the Coleman Tennis Complex on Wednesday afternoon the Shocks have now won 3 of their last 4. Not sure how good DePaul is but they are now 7-3 on the season with losses to Notre Dame, K-State and the Shockers. They do own a win over Cincinnati.

A post-match ceremony was be held to honor three seniors: Marta Bellucco, Ting-ya Hsu, and Sarvinoz Saidhujaeva.

Even though it was Senior Day the Shocks still have 6 dual matches on the schedule, including Tulsa, Memphis and Tulane, before heading to the AAC Championships in Orlando.

Comment

Put something in place this morning that _might_ minimize the spammers. Let's see how it works.

Comment

Ha! The new stinky-fish net caught our first spamming bastard this morning!

Comment

Working...
              X