No announcement yet.

Shocks SB at Getterman Classic (Baylor)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks SB at Getterman Classic (Baylor)

The new regime of Coach B opens its season this weekend in Waco at the Getterman Classic.

But first, this from Suellentrop's Sunday column.

Shape up for softball — New WSU coach Kristi Bredbenner isn’t sure how her team will handle a challenging schedule that starts on Friday against Iowa and Baylor in Waco, Texas. She isn’t sure how the Missouri Valley Conference stacks up because she spent the past six seasons at Emporia State.

She is confident the Shockers are stronger and more physically fit than last season. Starting in the fall, she put a heavy emphasis on weights and conditioning.

“Everything is being more explosive and working on softball-related things,” infielder Hayley Temple said. “Last year, it was more long distance (running) and you don’t really need that in softball. You needs sprints.”

Bredbenner saw a big improvement as the team worked in the fall and winter. She hopes more speed and strength will be an important part of her building project. WSU went 20-37 last season and is picked eighth in the Missouri Valley Conference.

“If you can get girls to believe that that’s going to be a payoff and that’s going to make them better at sports, they’re going to continue to work hard,” she said. “At the end of the day, we’ve got to believe that we can be better.”

Bredbenner seized on the preseason vote by coaches and will try to use it to her advantage. She printed No. 8 on pieces of paper and taped them all over the softball offices and locker room.

“As soon as the girls walked in, they knew exactly what it meant because it’s a big deal to them,” she said. “Our girls thought we should have been five. They have high expectations. At the end of the day, they’ve got to prove it.”

The Shocks open the tournament Friday against Iowa. The Hawkeyes finished 9-11 in the Big 10 last year in a three-way tie for sixth among the eleven teams. The Big 10 does not offer a pre-season poll.

Their other Friday game is against Baylor, a WCWS participant last year. Baylor is picked fourth among the nine teams in the Big 12 and is seventh in both pre-season national polls (NFCA and USA Softball).

On Saturday, the Shocks face UT-Arlington who is picked third of eleven teams in the Southland Conference and Belmont, a pick for ninth in the ten-team Atlantic Sun Conference. Belmont is coached by Chris Kuhlmeyer who was an assistant coach for Pooch during his first three years here.

The Shocks wrap up the tournament on Sunday against Arkansas, picked fifth among the six teams in the SEC-West.

It would appear that we would be favored only against Belmont, so this should be a good weekend to see if progress is being made. However, it is also awfully early to try to evaluate any progress. But I am definitely excited for the start of the season and for its prospects. Now to see if I can juggle a softball and a basketball for a few weeks. :)

Tournament Central for this weekend is now available.
    Last edited by flyingMoose; February 8, 2012, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Any video on this? All I see is GameTracker

Comment

Originally posted by Hovpen View Post
        Any video on this? All I see is GameTracker
        I don't think so. Beyond GT, there is only audio for the Baylor games. And for the games at the off-campus site, there is not even GT. Both of the Shocks' games on Saturday are off-campus.

Comment

My wife and I are going down Friday night. I am excited to see how they play. As bad as I type, the box score will be up before I could post anything.

Comment

The season-opening article in Friday's Eagle.

Comment

Due to showers moving through central Texas earlier this morning, the start for the 10am game was pushed back a little over an hour. Consequently, the Shocks' 1230pm start against Iowa will also be delayed some.

ADD: The GT link to the Iowa game which appears will start shortly before 2pm.
              Last edited by flyingMoose; February 10, 2012, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Finally started. Shocks leave one on at third in the first

Comment

Ouch. Shocks give up 5 in the bottom of the 1st agaisnt Iowa. 4 hits and 4 walks allowed by Katie Armagost.

Comment

Originally posted by Hovpen View Post
                    Finally started. Shocks leave one on at third in the first
                    After Rachel reached on an error and advanced on a ground ball, she stole third with two outs. Aggressive.

Comment

After two innings, Iowa leads 7-0, all earned. Assuming Sloan is starting the game to follow against Baylor, do you throw a very untested Katharine into this fire? I doubt it. KA has to learn to fight through patches like this.
                      Last edited by flyingMoose; February 10, 2012, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Katherine in to pitch with bases loaded (2 walks and a single) and 1 out in the 3rd.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                          After two innings, Iowa leads 7-0, all earned. Assuming Sloan is starting the game to follow against Baylor, do you throw a very untested Katherine into this fire? I doubt it. KA has to learn to fight through patches like this.
                          Wrong, pitchout-breath! With one out and the bases loaded in the third, Katherine is in.

ADD: The Hawkeyes add four in the third, all unearned, with two Shocker errors after Katherine came on.
                          Last edited by flyingMoose; February 10, 2012, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Katherine deserved better. Her 1st collegiate pitch was ruled illegal and allowed a run to score. She then induced a ground out with the runners holding at 2nd and 3rd. Following a walk to load the bases a run scored on an error by SS Laura Vickers. Then she gave up an RBI single followed by another unearned run scoring on an error by 2B Hayley Temple.

Iowa 11 - Shocks 0. Should be over after a couple more Shocker at-bats.

Comment

Katherine did make it through the botton of the 4th without allowing a run although a single and two walks did load the bases.

Comment

Working...
                              X