Shocker WBB 2020-2021 AAC Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker WBB 2020-2021 AAC Games

After having their first 3 conference games cancelled due to Covid issues on the Shocker team, the Lady Shocks opens AAC play on the road at Houston tonight.

Petty tough way to come off of a extended layoff.

Houston leads 22-12 at the end of the 1st Quarter. The Shocks turned the ball over 11 times in the quarter. Simply won't get enough possessions to stay in the game at that rate.

Houston 37 - Shocks 22 at the half. The Shocks have turned it over 19 times in the first 20 minutes.

Better 3rd quarter for the Shocks. Only turned it over 3 times. Giving up too many offensive rebounds. Not playing very good defense. Conditioning may be an issue. Houston leads 61-45.

Shocks pulled to within 11 points with about 4:45 to play but could get it no closer and end up losing 79-65. Shocks cut their turnovers in the 2nd half down to 7 and did a better job on the boards. The Shocks had a big size disadvantage late in the game. Trajata Colbert went out with an injury with about 12:30 remaining in the game and Asia Strong fouled out of the game with 7 minutes to play at which point the Shocks had not post players. Still the Shocks actually won the 2nd half 43-42.

Seraphine Bastin with 14 points and DJ McCarty with 9 points lead the way for the Shocks in the 2nd half. Serephine lead the way with double-double for the game with 18 points, 11 rebounds and 4 assists. Asia Strong had 13 points and 7 rebounds before fouling out. On the negative side of the ledger Seraphine had 6 turnovers and Asia had 8 turnovers.with each player having 5 turnovers in the first half.

I think I will largely chalk this one up to the Covid-induced layoff as the Shockers were especially rusty in the 1st half. Houston would be a tough game in the best of circumstances. Not surprised this was the outcome under these circumstances.

I have to give the Lady Shocks some credit. They were down by 23 at 55-32 with about 13:00 left in the game and were looking like they were perhaps hitting a wall and about ready to rollover and be totally blown out. But they steadied themselves after a time out and outscored Houston the rest of the way 33-24 behind Seraphine and DJ despite Houston having a big advantage in depth. Showed some grit doing that.

SMU announced yesterday that they are cancelling the rest of the season for their women's basketball team.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 30, 2020, 11:56 PM.

Lady Shocks taking on 1-5 Cincinnati today. Off to a terrible start. Down 14-4 at the first media timeout. Have commited 6 turnovers in first 5 minutes of play.

Shocks right the ship after the media timeout and trail by only 2 points at 16-14 at the end of the 1st quarter.

Shocks trail 27-31 at the half. The offense just doesn't seem to be there at least as a team concept of offense. But it appears that may be by design. They do have few players that are decent in the one-on-one game and the Shocks do not appear to be strong perimeter shooting team. 11 of their 13 baskets are in the paint. The Shocks only made 1 trey in 6 attempts and that was by Asia Strong their post player.

Shocks down 51-43 at the end of the 3rd quarter and probably lost DJ McCarty for the rest of this game at least. On a rebounding play DJ caught a big elbow to the bridge of her nose from teammate Asia Strong and looked like she was very close to being knocked out. She was very wobbly being assisted off the floor by two trainers. Mostly likely will be in concussion protocol.

Carl Bremaud has gotten hot in the 2nd half hitting 4-6 treys but Cincy in now looking to smother her. Shocks down 52-58 with 5:51 to play.

Shocks fall 65-59. Seraphine Bastin nearly had a triple double 8 points, 10 rebounds and 10 assists.

Imari Thomas, Cincy's female version of Charles Barkley, led Cincy with 24 points, 17 rebounds and 5 assists and she is truly a round mound at 5-10. Doesn't look like much but she knows how to play and how to use her wide body. A high BBIQ player.

Cincy hit 14-19 from the line. The Shocks were only 6-12.

Shocks head to AAC favorite South Florida next Wednesday.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 2, 2021, 04:02 PM.

Comment

The Shocks were already shorthanded and big underdogs at USF tonight. But DJ McCarty and Mariah McCulley are both out under concussion protocol I believe. DJ took a big shot to the bridge of her nose by teammate Asia Strong against Cincy and Mariah also hit her head on the floor after a foul. Could get really ugly with the Shocks having only 7 players and USF being pretty deep.

It is ugly so far but not because the Shocks are getting pounded. USF leads 4-2 six minutes into the game.

USF leads 12-3 at the end of the 1st quarter. The Shocks are 0-14 from the field including 3 trey attempts. USF held Tulsa to 35 points in a recent game. Shock may do good to hit 30 tonight.

Shocks trail 27-18 at the half so hung in their pretty well in the 2nd quarter thanks to 11 points from Asia Strong including 3-3 on treys one that she just threw up as the shot clock expired and banked it in. Shocker guards were 0-12 from the field in the first half.

USF 47 - WSU 34 at the end of 3 quarters. Shocks may be starting to wear down.

Final: USF 66 - WSU 48. Considering USF is the superior team, the Shocks only had 6 scholarship players (and not their best 6) plus 1 walkon and that the Shocker guards were only 3-24 (12.5%) from the field the final score was about as good an outcome as you could expect. Asia Strong led the Shocks with 17 points and Ene Adams chipped in 10.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 6, 2021, 07:52 PM.

Comment

The WBB team has paused all activities due to Covid.

Wichita State's Women's Basketball program will pause all team activities due to COVID-19 protocols within the program. Saturday's scheduled game against ECU is postponed, as well as the Jan. 13 matchup at Memphis.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

https://goshockers.com/news/2021/1/8...ctivities.aspx
          Nothing has really gone this team's way this year. They were down to 6 scholarship players and a walkon against USF so they have no margin of error to work with at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

https://goshockers.com/news/2021/1/8...ctivities.aspx
            I'm sorry, but I think this indicates a lack of discipline on the part of the players. There are only 15 or so of them, not 85 or so.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post

I'm sorry, but I think this indicates a lack of discipline on the part of the players. There are only 15 or so of them, not 85 or so.
              Maybe. Maybe not. Do we really have enough infomration to determine that one way or the other?

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Maybe. Maybe not. Do we really have enough information to determine that one way or the other?
                If a bunch of Alabama football players can, why can't they? That is basically my question. One, maybe two, I can understand. So many that you can't put a "team" (however the AAC wants to define that) on the court? Having only seven or so players available has been going on since the beginning of the season. But as you said, WDIK. Just a distinct impression.

Comment

If a bunch of Alabama football players can, why can't they? That is basically my question. One, maybe two, I can understand. So many that you can't put a "team" (however the AAC wants to define that) on the court? Having only seven or so players available has been going on since the beginning of the season. But as you said, WDIK. Just a distinct impression.
                  People aren't all reckless who get the virus. While I haven't had it yet, I have heard from friends that they stayed home and still got the virus. CDC says that symptoms occur two days after the infection of the virus, and they hadn't gone anywhere for days.

Comment

Doesn't the AAC require 8 available scholarship players? Or have I confused the AAC with one of the other conferences?
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

SMU totally cancelled there WBB basketball season.

I really don't know what the AAC guidelines are. OTOH when you compare the revenues generated by Alabama's football team vs Wichita State/AAC Women's basketball it's not hard to understand why the guidelines being used might be a bit different. Is a school going to risk any exposure to liability for not applying the rules strictly to a money losing program like WBB? I doubt it.

Comment

You're assuming the irresponsibility and lack of discipline lies within the players, when it could be within the coaching and/or support staff. Let us not forget that Rachel Johnson was said to be frustrated with the program's handling of covid-19 issues and she felt the coaching staff was withholding information. That doesn't sound like lack of discipline by the players. She definitely doesn't fit the profile of a disgruntled player upset about playing time (she was team's 2nd leading scorer at the time of her departure).

Where there is smoke there is typically fire!

Comment

Originally posted by New2Wu View Post

You're assuming the irresponsibility and lack of discipline lies within the players, when it could be within the coaching and/or support staff. Let us not forget that Rachel Johnson was said to be frustrated with the program's handling of covid-19 issues and she felt the coaching staff was withholding information. That doesn't sound like lack of discipline by the players. She definitely doesn't fit the profile of a disgruntled player upset about playing time (she was team's 2nd leading scorer at the time of her departure).

Where there is smoke there is typically fire!
                          Didn’t I read that Johnson went home after a game or maybe practice was cancelled b/c of Covid and Coach hadn’t released the team to leave early? Coach was going to suspend her? I don’t know the details but there are two sides to every story.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Didn’t I read that Johnson went home after a game or maybe practice was cancelled b/c of Covid and Coach hadn’t released the team to leave early? Coach was going to suspend her? I don’t know the details but there are two sides to every story.
                            That's what you read, and there are two sides to every story. My point was directed at flyingMoose who said lack of discipline by the players. Hope everyone is ok and can get healthy so they can play.

Comment

Originally posted by New2Wu View Post

That's what you read, and there are two sides to every story. My point was directed at flyingMoose who said lack of discipline by the players. Hope everyone is ok and can get healthy so they can play.
                              Point taken. Lack of discipline in the program. I'm not claiming it's easy; everyone has to work hard to continue testing negative.

Comment

Working...
                              X