1st Place Lady Shocks vs 2nd Place Lady Redbirds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Place Lady Shocks vs 2nd Place Lady Redbirds

The Shocks (13-5, 7-0) take on Illinois State (10-8, 5-2) and Indiana State (10-9, 4-3) at Koch Arena this weekend to finish off the 1st half of their MVC schedule.

1st up is Illinois State at 7:00pm Friday. $4 GA tickets are available if purchased by 5:00pm Thursday.

Illinois State at 5-2 in the MVC currently sits in a 2nd place tie with Northern Iowa 2 games back of the 7-0 Lady Shocks.

Experience-wise they look pretty similar to the Shocks. They have 1 senior and 5 juniors on their roster. The Shocks have 2 seniors and 6 juniors on their roster.

Illinois State's starters appear to dominate the stats for the Redbirds and 4 are averaging double figures in scoring. The starters have logged 74% of the minutes, scored 83% of the points and pull down 65% of the rebounds for the Redbirds.

Illinois State shoots a very good 39.9% on their treys with 4 starters hitting 42.6% while average about 13.5 attempts per game. The starting center has not attempted a trey. They are also a solid FT shooting team at 71.3%

They turn the ball over less than 15 times per game.

5'9" Sr G Katie Broadway leads the way with 16.0 PPG. She also contributes 4.0 RPG and plays 35.5 MPG. She is 47-119 from behind the arc for 39.5% and is an 81% FT shooter.

5'8" Jr G Jamie Russell is a transfer from Wisconsin who sat out a transfer year last year. She is averaging 11.7 PPG and is a very active rebounder for her size at 5.1 RPG while playing 30.4 MPG. She is a 37.2% three-point shooter on 16-43 and a 71% FT shooter. Russell leads the Redbirds in assists at 3.6 APG and has the best assist to turnover ratio on the team.

6'2" So F Marly Hall is scoring at an 11.3 PPG clip and averages 6.4 RPG in 27.3 MPG. She has not attempted a trey and shoots 63% from the line.

5'10" Jr G Candace Sykes averages 10.4 PPG and leads the Redbirds in rebounding at 6.7 RPG in 30.3 MPG. Candace is 29-55 from three for an outstanding 52.7%.

5'6" Jr Point guard Alexis Jenkins chips in 6.9 PPG, 2.8 RPG and 2.8 APG in 26.9 MPG.

The primary players off the bench are 6'2" Fr F Maddie Oliver (15.7 MPG) who I assume spells Hall and Sykes when needed, 6'0" Fr G Katy Winge (13.5 MPG) who probably provides backup for Russell and Sykes and maybe Boadway and 5'7" So G Chloe Nelson (13.7 PPG) who probably mostly backs up Jenkins at the point.

Illinoin State averages 67 PPG and has allowed 64 PPG.

Should be a good challenge for the Shocks.

:poster_shocks:
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 26, 2012, 10:04 AM.

Today's Eagle Article: http://www.kansas.com/2012/01/22/219...twice-the.html

Talks mostly about how rare it is for for the Men and the Women to be in a title chase in the same year.

“My thing that I’ve always wanted is to have a big student section,” Sanchez said. “That’s fun, and that’s college basketball to have a fun student section.”

I agree, that would be nice Alicia.

Toure Murry, a senior on the men’s team, is a regular at the women’s games when his schedule allows.

Kudos to Toure.

Comment

I think these two games this weekend are huge for the Lady Shocks. These are two winnable games but they are also both games they could lose. The difference between 9-0 at the halfway point and 7-2 is just huge.

First, you lose a good portion of the feel good from starting out 7-0 if you drop these two games.

Second, you lose the benefit of the 2-game separation that you have built up at this point.

Third, if you want to be a contender for the title you simply must hold serve at home.

Fourth, the second half of the season looks a little tougher with 5 of the 9 second half games on the road including MSU, CU, DU, ILS and INS. All five will be tough games.

Comment

Will 13-5 be enough to win they Valley this year?

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
          Will 13-5 be enough to win they Valley this year?
          One of the RPI sites that also projects conference standings has the Shocks winning the Valley with a 15-3 mark with Missouri State second at 12-6. RealTimeRPI's projected standings have us and the Bears tying for the conference title at 13-5.
          Last edited by flyingMoose; January 27, 2012, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Well, didn't that suck. Not ready for prime time I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
              Well, didn't that suck. Not ready for prime time I guess.
              That it did. Kudos to Shocker fans though who came out in very good fashion to support the Lady Shocks. I think they announced the crowd in the neighborhood of 3,500. The crowd seemed pretty energized and ready to really explode given the opportunity. Unfortunately, the Lady Shocks did not respond well. I thought the Shocks were clearly out-skilled and out-coached. There was no doubt about who was the better team on the floor tonight. I was really scratching my head over some of the lineups Jody was running late in the 1st half when ILS started pulling away. Shocks sure did not put on a show that will have a lot of those fans wanting to come back.

I have been holding my breath waiting for the Shockers struggles in the half court offense to catch up with them and tonight it certainly did as ILS did a nice job making this a half court game. Very few run outs and transition points for the Shocks tonight. I think the Shocks also go beat pretty soundly on the boards tonight although that probably had a lot to do with the fact we missed a lot more shots than the Redbirds did.

Hopefully, they can snap back and pick up a win Sunday against Indiana State but they will have to play much better than they did tonight.

Comment

Shocks did get some help tonight with Creighton (4-4) knocking off UNI (5-3) 65-50 in Omaha.

Missouri State (5-3) beat Indiana State (4-4) 84-70. If Indiana State scores 70 on the Shocks they have a good shot at winning.

Drake (5-3) beat Bradley (2-6) 77-62 in Des Moines.

SIU defeated Murray State 74-57 in Carbondale on Thursday night.

Shocks were the only home team to lose.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  I was really scratching my head over some of the lineups Jody was running late in the 1st half when ILS started pulling away.
                  I turned to the guy behind me and asked, "Who is going to score out of that group?"

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  I have been holding my breath waiting for the Shockers struggles in the half court offense to catch up with them and tonight it certainly did as ILS did a nice job making this a half court game. Very few run outs and transition points for the Shocks tonight.
                  The Redbirds played a 2-3 zone for all but a handful of minutes, and we were just not crisp against it all. We had a 4-0 lead very early and it was all downhill after that. I think we got within five in the second half but no closer.

Haleigh did not score until the 8:53 mark of the second half and those were FTs. Chynna did not score until 6:53 of the second half and that too was a FT. Haleigh had a steal and layup (the only one of the night I recall for the Shocks) at the 4:57 mark for her first FG. Although Haleigh ended with ten points, it was Jessica and Jazmien on offense for the bulk of the game.

Learning to be the hunted is part of the maturing process of a team. I hope they learn it quickly.

EDIT: The play-by-play says we got within three before the first media timeout of the second half, but I certainly never felt we were back in the game.

Comment

I don't think we really want Alicia (1-9 FG) and Krystle (2-7 FG) taking 16 shots, although a lot of Krystle's were late after the game was pretty much decided. Unfortunately, the Shocks are somewhat limited when it comes to offensive weapons. Chynna has been scoring very well lately but the Redbirds and foul trouble kept her well under control tonight. Haleigh was very passive on offense tonight until late in the game.

Comment

[QUOTE=1972Shocker;292086]I don't think we really want Alicia (1-9 FG) and Krystle (2-7 FG) taking 16 shots, although a lot of Krystle's were late after the game was pretty much decided. Unfortunately, the Shocks are somewhat limited when it comes to offensive weapons. Chynna has been scoring very well lately but the Redbirds and foul trouble kept her well under control tonight. Haleigh was very passive on offense tonight until late in the game.

I'm surprised every team does not zone us. The teams that spanked us in the pre-season all zoned us. We were outplayed and out coached. Jody mentioned in her post game comments, she saw this coming three weeks ago in practice, How? Do you remember freshman Kelsey Jacobs getting 10 boards against LSU? Now she is lucky to get three minutes and warm up a bit. They need rebounders, what happened? Oh well, Sunday they have to play very well!!!

Comment

According to the quotes in the Eagle:

“I saw it coming about a week and a half ago,” Adams said of the loss. “At that time, it’s not a good time for me to point those things out. You want to roll with their confidence, them thinking they’re doing the right thing and just coaching and correcting as you see it. But I began to see it about a week and a half ago.”

Not sure I agree with Jody's philosophy there but she get's paid well to make those decisions and to take the heat for them.

I would expect to see more and more zone from opponents until we prove we can successfully attack it. We certainly need to finish stronger around the basket. We missed 4 or 5 pretty much point blank shots against ILS.

Rebounding has been an issue in recent games. Evansville only outrebounded us by 1, but in 3 of the last 4 games we were outrebounded by a total of 32. MSU (14), SIU (9) and ILS (9).

With 6'4" Shannon Thomas coming in Sunday with Indiana State the Shocks will have another rebounding challenge on their hands.

Comment

Working...
                        X