Shocker SB at #6/6 Oklahoma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker SB at #6/6 Oklahoma

The Shockers travel to Norman for a single game at 6pm on Wednesday.

The #6 Sooners have a record of 15-4 and 2-1 against ranked teams. The 2-1 is an estimate (two wins over Northwestern and a loss to Washington) since they do not put the opponent's ranking on their schedule. One of the wins is by run-rule over Nebraska.

Jocelyn Alo (OPS of 1.312), Kinzie Hansen (1.202), and Grace Lyons (1.099) lead the offense for Oklahoma. Shannon Saile has the most starts (ERA of 2.18 and WHIP of 1.29). Others in the circle in order of innings pitched are Olivia Rains (1.64 and 0.94), Macy McAdoo (4.35 and 1.50), and Brooke Vestal (3.11 and 1.33).

Because Oklahoma does not provide individual stats on their site, these numbers are taken from the Big 12 site and do not include this past weekend's games. The Shocker game write-up includes some of the same names, but with up-to-date numbers. So as to include more names, I used the older numbers.

Neleigh continues to have the highest OPS for the Shockers at 1.059 and leads the team with four home runs. Others with an OPS above .950 are Butters (.965 and three homers), Bailey U (.960), and Sydney (.953). Caitlin has an ERA of 3.59 and a WHIP of 1.62. Both Bailey and Erin have numbers north of 6.00 and 2.00.

Last edited by flyingMoose; March 4, 2020, 10:53 AM.

Caitlin is in the circle, and Bailey is the DP. Sydney Nichols is at 2B (0-3 for the year) and the other Sydney has moved to 3B with Ryleigh out of the lineup. Ryleigh sick or hurt? Her OPS is .862, so it cannot be a production issue.

Rains is pitching for Oklahoma. The three named offensive leaders are the first three batters in their lineup.

Sydney leads off the game with a walk and Bailey follows with a double, moving her to third. Butters follows with a single, scoring Sydney and advancing Bailey. Then Neleigh cranks a three-run homer. Still no outs and the score is 4-0. Saile, the lead pitcher for the Sooners, is quickly in the circle. Bailee greets the new pitcher with a single, but a ground ball double play and a line drive out end the inning. 4-0 Shockers after one-half inning.

I'll put this note in here. Giselle Jaurez, the ace last year for Oklahoma, has pitched sparingly this year (five appearances for 6.2 innings), so I assume there is an injury problem.

With one out, a single, passed ball and single put Sooners at the corners. But then the Shockers get their own ground ball DP, started by Sydney N, to end the inning. 4-0 after one complete.

Well, I have to leave now, quite possibly for the duration. Someone is welcome to pick up the thread.
    Last edited by flyingMoose; March 4, 2020, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Great start for the Shocks. 4 spot in the 1st. Neleigh's 3-run homer the big blow. No outs. Neleigh's homer was an opposite field drive.

Hopefully, Caitlyn is on her game tonight.

flyingMoose what do you know about Sydney Nichols playing at 2nd tonight for the Shocks.

I guess Sydney is good enough to start an inning ending and threat ending 4-6-3 double play. One of @Kung Wu's favorite numerical combos. And guess who is leading off in the 2nd for the Shocks.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 4, 2020, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
        Well, I have to leave now, quite possibly for the duration. Someone is welcome to pick up the thread.
        That usually doesn't work out well for the Shockers.

Sydney Nichols strikes out to lead of the Shocker 2nd but Wylie singles up the middle out the 9 hole and Sidney walks for the 2nd time to give the Shockers runners at 1st and 2nd. Sidney fouled off 3 two strike pitches in working that walk. Bailey L. strikes out. Up to Butters. Butters goes down swinging as well to end the Shocker threat.

OU threatening again in the 2nd. An infield hit and walk put runners at 1st and 2nd with not outs. After a strike out a single loads the bases with the 9-hole hitter due up. A double to right center plates 2 runners and OU still has runners at 2nd and 3rd and only 1 out with the top of the order coming up. The lead off hitter, SS Grace Lyons, delivers a 3-run home run to left center and just like that OU is on top 5-4. Bailey Lange is on in relief of Caitlyn. Bailey gave up a single up teh middle to the first batter she faced but then got a strike out and a ground out to 3rd to end the OU second.

Madison is definitely the odd girl out in this lineup. The other 8 are Sidney, Bailey, Neliegh, Baylee, Bailey, Kaylee, Sydney, Wylie.

A 1-out single to center by Bailee who moved to 2nd on a ground out by Bailey U. put a Shocker runner in scoring position in the 3rd by Kaylee ground out to short to end the inning.

In the bottom of the 3rd Bailey falls behind in the count at 3-1 the lead off hitter. Gets strike 2, then gives up a lead off home run to left field. OU leads 6-4 after 3 complete.

Shocks down in order on 12 pitches in the 4th. In the bottom of the 4th a 1 out walk followed by a double put OU runners on 2nd and 3rd but Bailey got a big strike out and a fly out to CF to end that threat.

Bailey Lange lead off th Shocker 5th with a home run to make it a 6-5 game. Butters walked and was bunted over to 2nd by Neleigh but Bailey N. flied out to center and Bailey U. grounded out to 3rd to end the at bat for the Shocks. Bailey sets the Sooners down in order in the bottom of the 5th.

Bottom 3rd of the order up for the Shocks in the 6th. Kaylee Huecker walks to lead of the inning. Lauren Mills to pinch hit for Sydney Nichols.I would think the play here would be to sacrifice Kaylee over to 2nd. Not sure Lauren is who you insert to that though. Well I really do not know what happened but Lauren lined out to CF and Kaylee was out at 2nd CF to C to SS. That one I would have to see to know exactly what went on there. Wylie then grounded out to the pitcher. I will be scratching my head on that one for a while.

A 1-out single followed by a home run plates 2 more runs for the Sooners in the bottom of the 6th. A 2 out single and an error by Kaylee at SS extended the inning but Bailey induced a fly ball to left to end the inning but the Sooners extend their lead to 8-5 with only on at bat remaining for the Shocks.

The Shocks do have the top of the lineup due up in the top of the 7th. Sydney McKinney led off the inning with a single to right but Bailey L. grounded into a 6-4-3 double play on the next pitch. 2 pitches, 1 hit, 2 outs. Butters works a 2-out walk. Lolo in to pinch run for Butters. Neleigh at the plate. Neleigh ground to 2nd who tosses to the SS at 2nd for the game ending force out.

Final score: OU 8 - WSU 5

As I predicted it never ends well when flyingMoose has to bail out on the games.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 4, 2020, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          Well I really do not know what happened but Lauren lined out to CF and Kaylee was out at 2nd CF to C to SS. That one I would have to see to know exactly what went on there. Wylie then grounded out to the pitcher. I will be scratching my head on that one for a while.
          I'll give it a shot. The throw from the outfield got all the way through to the catcher, and Kaylee tried to advance to second base but was thrown out. Final answer.

Comment

I'll give it a shot. The throw from the outfield got all the way through to the catcher, and Kaylee tried to advance to second base but was thrown out. Final answer.
            Sounds reasonable.

Comment

Because Oklahoma does not provide individual stats on their site ...
              Giselle Jaurez, the ace last year for Oklahoma, has pitched sparingly this year (five appearances for 6.2 innings) ...
              Note to Self: The Oklahoma stats are not behind a Statistics tab as with most sites. Rather, the stats for each player are behind that player's roster entry.

Who knew?

Comment

Note to Self: The Oklahoma stats are not behind a Statistics tab as with most sites. Rather, the stats for each player are behind that player's roster entry.

Who knew?
                Most rosters are set up that way with a link to each players individual stats. GoShockers.com is set up that way. However, most also have a stats link for the team stats.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Most rosters are set up that way with a link to each players individual stats. GoShockers.com is set up that way. However, most also have a stats link for the team stats.
                  Good to know. Having always seen a Statistics tab (Oklahoma is the only exception I have ever run across) on a team's site, I never had to discover the stats behind the player. I just assumed OU were being prickly. For my purposes of course, having all the stats for the entire team on one page works best.

Comment

Working...
                  X