Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks vs Central Michigan

Game Notes: http://www.goshockers.com//pdf8/801408.pdf

Central Michigan is another one of those decent sized non-BCS schools with an enrollment of 28,000+.

CMU absolutely drilled the Shocks last year in Mt. Pleasant 98-73. They did lose their two leading scorers from last year, although one of those players, Shonda Long had a bad game (1-10 from the field) against the Shocks last year. Interestingly, while they return 4 players that accounted for 66 points in last year's blowout (23+16+15+12) their 3 leading scorers this year are freshman. One is a 6'2" post player and the other two are guards one at 6'0" and one at 5'10". May present some match up problems.

Here are CMU's stats: http://www.cmuchippewas.com/ViewCont...TENT_ID=170972

and CMU's roster: http://www.cmuchippewas.com/SportSel...PRINTABLE_PAGE=

CMU did lose 72-59 to Illinois State in the WNIT last year and so far this year the are off to a 1-4 start as follows:

L 60-69 Northwestern (Home)
    L 55-64 Robert Morris (Road)
    L 70-77 Pittsburg (Road)
    L 80-86 OT South Florida (Anchorage, Alaska)
    W 90-84 OT Alaska-Anchorage (Road) I think Alaska-Anchorage is a D-II program.

Not quite sure what to think of this game. I have an uneasy feeling about it. Maybe because the way they blew us out last year at their place. At the very least I think this will be a pretty tough game for the Lady Shocks. In their 5 games CMU has turned the ball over 112 times (22.4 per game) while forcing 107 turnovers so this game could very well be played at a frenetic pace. Hopefully the Shocks are mentally prepared for this game.

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    CMU did lose 72-59 to Illinois State in the WNIT last year and so far this year the are off to a 1-4 start as follows:

L 60-69 Northwestern (Home)
    L 55-64 Robert Morris (Road)
    L 70-77 Pittsburg (Road)
    L 80-86 OT South Florida (Anchorage, Alaska)
    W 90-84 OT Alaska-Anchorage (Road) I think Alaska-Anchorage is a D-II program.

Not quite sure what to think of this game.
    We are both in the RV category in the Women's Mid-Major Top 25. We have 17 (36th) and the Chippewas have 4 (T49th). UNI is 6th and Missouri State is 12th in the Top 25. Creighton and Illinois State are receiving more votes than we are.

Comment

Shocks lose 58-49. Considering that the Shocks jumped out to a 13-2 lead and still lead 26-18 with about 8 minutes left in the half and CMU shot 5-15 from the free throw line this one was pretty much a 20-25 point blowout. Shocks certainly didn't help their situation turning the ball over 27 times.

Once CMU figured out all they had to do was shut down Jessica and Haleigh the game was pretty much over. At this point we simply seem to be a little short on bullets, especially offensively. Not much of an inside presence either.

On the bright side Haleigh played perhaps her best game of the year. Jessica was pretty good although I though she tired in the last 5 minutes. Probably playing too many minutes. Krystle did not play at all. Don't know the reason for that. I was pleased to see Molly and Alex get some good minutes. I think they need a chance to develop as I think they can be effective down the road in MVC play. Molly has some moxy. Alex has the athleticism but makes a lot of freshman mistakes. Of course, we have Juniors and Seniors making plenty of freshman mistakes also.

Not sure if we are progressing or not. Been playing some tough opponents.

Comment

At this point we simply seem to be a little short on bullets, especially offensively. Not much of an inside presence either.
        CMU played either a 3-2 or 2-3 zone for (nearly?) all of the game. Their length caused us a lot of problems getting the ball inside and then on shot attempts when we did. Jazimen was 1-10 at the half.

I was pleased to see Molly and Alex get some good minutes. I think they need a chance to develop as I think they can be effective down the road in MVC play. Molly has some moxy. Alex has the athleticism but makes a lot of freshman mistakes.
        +1

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
          CMU played either a 3-2 or 2-3 zone for (nearly?) all of the game. Their length caused us a lot of problems getting the ball inside and then on shot attempts when we did. Jazimen was 1-10 at the half.
          I think that may be the book on the Shocks. UC Davis zoned us, Winthrop zoned us and CMU zoned us. Then again maybe that is what UC Davis, Winthrop and CMU do routinely.

Comment

[QUOTE=1972Shocker;277908]I think that may be the book on the Shocks. UC Davis zoned us, Winthrop zoned us and CMU zoned us. Then again maybe that is what UC Davis, Winthrop and CMU do routinely.

The comments all reflect how we lack inside game, or too many turnovers or not enough times at the line, etc. Last year the San Francisco 49ers were horrible, new coach comes in and they're in first place. K-State football was horrible, Snyder comes back and they win. I question the game plan. You can set picks against a zone and get open. We just have a runner on the baseline and three guards swinging the ball around the perimeter. Perhaps I'm too many years removed from the game. I can't help, but go back to the LSU game. We played with fire. I see a deflated, perhaps brow-beat team. I suspect practice tomorrow will be "Hell." Time for some positive coaching and a better game plan. We have some nice players. Let's get it going Saturday against SMU. Go Shox!!!

Comment

Working...
            X