No announcement yet.

Shocker WBB 2019-2020 AAC Conference Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The game is being shown on the espn sports app.

Comment

Shocks outscore Tulsa by 24 in the 2nd half and come back for a 57-46 win.

Great turn around.

Hopefully, the Shocks learned a good lesson.

Comment

Deleted by OP.

Comment

What post season tournaments are available for women outside of the NCAA? Do they still have the WNIT and another one I can’t remember the name of?

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
            What post season tournaments are available for women outside of the NCAA? Do they still have the WNIT and another one I can’t remember the name of?
            WNIT and the Women's Basketball Invitational I believe.

Last year the AAC had 2 teams in the NCAA Touranment (UConn & UCF went 4-2) and 3 teams in the WNIT (Cincy, Houston & USF went 4-3). No AAC team participated in the WBI.

Info on the WNIT.

Here is some info on the WBI. What makes the WBI a great choice?

• Home teams keep all revenue
            • Travel teams get paid each trip
            • It is a 16-team single elimination tournament
            • The tournament will be completed in two weeks
            • No bid sheets or reconciliation forms to complete

Can teams bid for home games?
            No, teams cannot buy home games. The better rpi team always gets the first chance to host.

Who picks and seeds the teams?
            The Executive Director and Sport Tours International will pick the teams based on RPI, Sagarin, strength of schedule, quality wins, and end of season trends.

What is the tournament format?
            A 16-team, single elimination tournament divided into two regions.

Is there any revenue sharing required of the home teams?
            No. Home teams keep all revenue including tickets, sponsorships, parking, concessions, radio and television rights.

What is the guarantee required from host teams?
            $10,000 for the first and second rounds, $12,000 for the semifinal and final rounds.

Do teams have to make travel arrangements through Sport Tours?
            No. Teams make their arrangements through their normal vendors. Sport Tours International will assist, if asked.

What guarantee will the travel teams receive?
            $7,000 for the first and second rounds, $9,000 for the semifinal and final rounds.

How will a team know if it is being considered for one of the sixteen positions?
            If you receive an agreement from Sport Tours, you are being considered.

Who selects the officials?
            Sally Bell is the official assignor. Official fees for the WBI are the responsibility of the home team.

Who is Sport Tours International?
            The first sport tour company to take teams on international tours, Sport Tours International has been running women’s tournaments since 1987 in San Juan, Daytona Beach and Las Vegas. Visit our website at Sporttours.net.

Comment

The Lady Shocks with one of their better performances of the year came back from a 10 point deficit one play into the 2nd half to grit out our 72-70 win over a good Temple Owls team who came in on a 5 game winning streak and 4-0 start in AAC play. This despite a poor shooting day by Mariah McCully who was 5-19 from the field.

However, Mariah did play a key part in the game winning play. With the scored tied at 70-all and Temple with the ball Seraphine Bastin drew an offensive foul on a great defensive play with about 6 seconds remaining. After a Shocker time out the Shockers perfectly executed the in bound play from in front of the Shocker bench about 40 feet from the basket. Mariah lobbed a perfect 40 foot lob pass to Trajata Colbert her broke free around a screen. Trajata caught the pass cleanly and laid in the game winning basket with about 4 seconds to play. Temple did get off a 3-point attempt at the end of the game but the Shockers grabbed the rebound as the game clock expired.

Temple definitely looks like an upper half AAC team to me. Perhaps top 3 so this was a very good win for the Lady Shocks. The Shocks are now 3-2 in league play and could easily be 4-1 had they played this well in their home loss to Tulane.

Mariah led the Shockers in scoring with 15 points but needed 19 shots and quite frankely she was not very good offensively. Perahps forcing the action too much. My choices for starts of the game are Seraphine, Shya Smith and Trajata. Seraphine had 12 points on 3-8 shooting plus 6-6 from the line, led the Shocks in rebounding with 6 and also assists with 3. Shyia also contributed 12 points on 4-6 from the field and 4-4 from the line and grabbed 4 rebounds and perhaps had the toughest defensive assignment of the day guarding Temple's Mia Davis who will be a 1st All-AAC player. Trajata contributions were late, were key and were clutch. She scored all 8 of her points in the final 6 minutes of the game. Two on impressive and-1 plays where she powered through contacts and made her free throws in both cases and then the game winner described above. Good to have her back.

The good thing is that I think this team can play better, especially on the offensive end. Hopefully, this game will prove to be a spring board to a solid run in conference play this year.

One area where the Shocks were very good today was that they only turned the ball over 10 times. About half of what they normally do.

​​​​​​
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 19, 2020, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Here is the game winner for the Shocks against Temple. Not sure what Seraphine was thinking spiking the ball after it game through the basket but fortunately Temple was calling timeout so I guess the officials let it go.

Looks to me like what made the play work so well was that 2 Temple players went with Shyia out to the 3 point line leaving Trajata totally uncovered.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  Here is the game winner for the Shocks against Temple. Not sure what Seraphine was thinking spiking the ball after it game through the basket but fortunately Temple was calling timeout so I guess the officials let it go.

Looks to me like what made the play work so well was that 2 Temple players went with Shyia out to the 3 point line leaving Trajata totally uncovered.
                  Now that's a last second play! Everyone sells what they want Temple to think they are doing, while actually clearing out under the basket and setting the perfect pick on the only defender that has a chance to stop it. Perfect in bounds lob as well. Beautiful play to watch both regular speed and stop action.

Comment

In an alternate reality, could we have been T'd up for throwing the ball down like that after the basket? I could see that happening to the men in a similar situation.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post

In an alternate reality, could we have been T'd up for throwing the ball down like that after the basket? I could see that happening to the men in a similar situation.
                      That's why I asked what Seraphine was thinking. I think she could easily have drawn a T. Hopefully, HCKA will point that out to her although I think Seraphine may have realized that was a no-no right after she did it. Temple calling a quick time out so the could in bound the ball in their front court may have saved her this time.
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 20, 2020, 09:57 PM.

Comment

That's why I asked what Seraphine was thinking. I think she could easily have drawn a T. Hopefully, HCKA will point that out to her although I think Seraphine may have realized that was a no-no right after she did it. Temple calling a quick time out so the could in bound the ball in their front court may have save her this time.
                        I missed your comment above the video.

Comment

That rule was put in place to discourage unruliness by players who were angered by a call or another player. To call that on her undermines the spirit and intent of the rule as she was just celebrating. What she could’ve been called for was delay of game, but that should’ve only been a warning. In any event, you are right, that needs to be addressed by Keitha with a big smile.

Comment

Shockers fall to 3-3 in AAC play with a 50-56 home loss to USF, who was picked to finished 2nd behind UConn on the preseason coaches' poll.

The Shocks lead 40-34 at the end of the 3rd quarter but were outscored 22-10 in the 4th.

The Shocks continue to struggle to find consistent offensive production. They have scored in the 50's in 4 of the 6 AAC games (3 of 4 AAC home games) plus have games of 61 and 72 points. They could easily be 5-1 in AAC play with just a little bit better offensive production. The have lost 56-61 to Tulane at home in addition the the 50-56 loss to USF. The Shocks are averaging 58.5 PPG in AAC play.

4 players scored 46 of the Shockers 50 points. Mariah (21), Carla (16), Raven (4) and Seraphine (4) on combined 17-37 (45.9%) including 5-11 on treys and 7-11 from the line. The other 8 players who saw action combined for 4 points on 1-19 from the field and 1-4 from the line.

Mariah has been a good addition as she leads the team in scoring but she still has quite a bit of juco in her game and tends to hunt and force her shots. She is scoring but not real efficiently. In addition, she had 5 turnovers vs only 1 assist vs USF, For the season the Shocks are averaging 17.3 turnovers per game vs 9.8 assists per game.

Comment

The Shocks played some terrific defense in the third quarter to grab the lead. But with all of that expended energy, they ran out of gas in the fourth. Mariah, in particular, was dead on her feet out there. Seraphine picked up her fourth foul early in the fourth and that did not help.

Nine of the thirteen players on the USF squad are internationals. Spain, Denmark, Croatia, Italy, ... - you name the country and they have a player on the team.

Comment

The injury to DJ McCarty had really hurt the Shocks' depth. She was playing very well when she went down with her bad ankle sprain. She has gotten a few minutes in recent games but clearly is nowhere close to her pre-injury form.

Comment

Working...
                                X