WBB @ UC Davis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WBB @ UC Davis

UC Davis laid a 78-66 defeat on the Shocks last year in Koch Arena and were very impressive in doing so. UC Davis will not beat you by out-athleting you like LSU and Arizona can but they will beat you with precise execution of a very good offensive scheme and they will throw multiple looks at you on defense. Beating UC Davis will require more finesse and more brain than brawn.

While not a big name a win today would be a very nice win for the Shocks IMHO. BTW, UC Davis has about 35,000 students so it is not a tiny school.

:poster_shocks:

Haleigh with the 1st basket of the game goes over the 1,000 point milestone for her career. Congrats Haleigh.

Shocks have turned the ball over 3 of their first 5 possessions.

Comment

Shocks down 7-2 early. Have 5 turnovers at the under 16 timeout.

Comment

Shocks finally score again at the 11:00 minute mark. Now trail 18-4.

The Shocks are not shooting very well on the few ocassions where they aren't turning the ball over (10 turnovers so far).

Comment

Shocks rally to close the gap to 25-22 at the half. Shocks have 15 turnovers to only 4 for UC Davis but are outrebounding UCD 26-11.

If Shocks can take care of the ball better in the 2nd half and continue to play good defense they have a shot at the win.

Comment

Shocks fall 62 - 47. 8 assists vs 26 turnovers won't win a lot of games. Shocks also cold from the outside making only 1 of their 12 attempts from behind the arc.

Comment

I agree '72Shock. Dismal shooting + careless turnovers = a loss almost always.
              History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it - Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

[QUOTE=Hoopzdad;276270]I agree '72Shock. Dismal shooting + careless turnovers = a loss almost always.

It was ugly. Davis played the same extended zone they played in Wichita last year. The Shox had no answer. The guards just dribbled around by half court, p***ed into the baseline corner, got trapped and turned it over. Very poor execution. On defense they kept getting beat by dribble-drives to the rim. They have taken a few steps backwards from their inspiring play against LSU. The Shox need a terrific game against Winthrop Wednesday to get back on track.

Comment

Record-wise the Shocks are right where I thought they would be at this point. The stretch of games against LSU at home and Arizona and UC-Davis on the road is probably the toughest stretch of games we will have this year. Those 3 teams may very well be the 3 toughest teams on our schedule this year.

I was a somewhat disappointed with the performance against UC-Davis although they can make you look bad if you have poor execution or a poor game plan.

We still have some good opponents on the non-con schedule but in general I think the hardest part of that schedule is behind us. We'll see how the Ladies bounce back against Winthrop on Wednesday. In a tournament hosted by Winthrop this past weekend Bradley beat Winthrop 71-61, beat Niagara 68-43 but lost to Stetson 63-73. Winthrop lost to Stetson by 72-74 and hammered Niagara 82-47. For whatever comparable scores are worth.

Prior to the season I was thinking the Shocks would probably be 6-5 or so in their non-conference schedule. If we could knock off SMU at home or KSU on the road we might get to 7-4 which I would take in a heartbeat.

Hopefully, there have been lessons learned from these last 3 games that will be of benefit going forward.

Comment

[QUOTE=1972Shocker;276452]Record-wise the Shocks are right where I thought they would be at this point. The stretch of games against LSU at home and Arizona and UC-Davis on the road is probably the toughest stretch of games we will have this year. Those 3 teams may very well be the 3 toughest teams on our schedule this year.

I was a somewhat disappointed with the performance against UC-Davis although they can make you look bad if you have poor execution or a poor game plan.

We still have some good opponents on the non-con schedule but in general I think the hardest part of that schedule is behind us. We'll see how the Ladies bounce back against Winthrop on Wednesday. In a tournament hosted by Winthrop this past weekend Bradley beat Winthrop 71-61, beat Niagara 68-43 but lost to Stetson 63-73. Winthrop lost to Stetson by 72-74 and hammered Niagara 82-47. For whatever comparable scores are worth.

Prior to the season I was thinking the Shocks would probably be 6-5 or so in their non-conference schedule. If we could knock off SMU at home or KSU on the road we might get to 7-4 which I would take in a heartbeat.

Hopefully, there have been lessons learned from these last 3 games that will be of benefit going forward.

You certainly have a positive outlook. Thanks. I happened to be in So. Cal and drove north to watch the game. It was very guard oriented against a small team. Very few passes inside. I agree; I hope lessons have been learned and we play good team basketball.

Comment

Working...
                    X